Shtickless - Unless Being Dead Is A Shtick Topic

Posted by r0b0t on 1/12/2011 12:58:00 PM (view original):
Posted by robusk on 1/12/2011 12:54:00 PM (view original):
Posted by r0b0t on 1/12/2011 12:51:00 PM (view original):
Yeah, those pitchers you signed were ridiculous. Meanwhile other teams are spending a lot more on inferior pitchers. Either they jumped on the IFA too soon or bid against themselves. Who knows.

I see the value in the market, but the few leagues I have some budget in that regard are too oversaturated with buyers.
Yeah, I really lucked out there.  Not sure what happened but I didn't expect to pull that off.  Right time to jump back in...  I have rarely played the market and ate money a number of times across worlds.  If it was going to work, I am glad it was in $.
I give BP a hard time for not fully committing to the international market. He only has a budget around $10m for IFA scouting each year, so his projections are always wacky and he's spending money without really knowing just how good the player really is. He really seems to be valuing pitch ratings more than most others. Doesn't seem to be working out for him recently.
Heh.  I think 10 is plenty.  I rarely budget even that much.

He usually gets talent, not sure what happened with his team this season.
1/12/2011 1:04 PM
Posted by r0b0t on 1/12/2011 11:49:00 AM (view original):
Posted by AlCheez on 1/12/2011 11:48:00 AM (view original):
Posted by moy23 on 1/12/2011 11:38:00 AM (view original):
how'd you like my trade with VD? dumping off a 4.4 mil 3 yrs remaining contract during the playoffs.
Heh.
I wondered if he realized that when he accepted the deal. There are a lot of bad contracts that are passed along late in the season because people don't pay attention beyond the proration.
I don't get the heh. That guy will make my roster the next couple years. He's not great, but I got him for nothing, like I'd just signed him in FA.
1/12/2011 1:13 PM
Like I said later, the heh was at moy. I agree with everything you said - moy offered me the same deal and I would have taken it if I wasn't planning on turning the roster over next year. That contract isn't bad, unless you assume he's going to keep pitching like he did this year rather than his career norms.
1/12/2011 1:23 PM
Posted by r0b0t on 1/12/2011 12:21:00 PM (view original):
How'd the bird get in?

I wish someone was here to bump my bird in the house post from years ago.
One of the kids didn't close the back door all the way.
1/12/2011 1:32 PM
Posted by robusk on 1/12/2011 1:03:00 PM (view original):
Posted by r0b0t on 1/12/2011 12:56:00 PM (view original):
Posted by robusk on 1/12/2011 12:52:00 PM (view original):
Posted by r0b0t on 1/12/2011 12:46:00 PM (view original):
I should probably start making an effort to acquire talent in DM.
My team is in a strong place in that world and should be that way for a couple of seasons.  You need to catch up.

On another note, I have really enjoyed my rapid build of a real beast in Minor Leagues.

I have a couple of good young pieces. The IFA market has sucked and I never had the ML talent to get the compensatory picks to add a lot of young talent that way. Basically, it's been difficult to get the younger players I wanted.

I could probably will that team to a wild card if I actually cared, but I know they don't have the pieces for sustained success just yet, so I'm better off just waiting and acquiring more.
Yeah...  I tried the IFA market in the world, but it really was awful.  I ate 20 mil two season in a row I think.  In my experience thus far, world's with hard salary caps are no fun to play for IFAs in.
yeah, i prefer having no salary cap
1/12/2011 1:35 PM
Posted by AlCheez on 1/12/2011 1:23:00 PM (view original):
Like I said later, the heh was at moy. I agree with everything you said - moy offered me the same deal and I would have taken it if I wasn't planning on turning the roster over next year. That contract isn't bad, unless you assume he's going to keep pitching like he did this year rather than his career norms.
I needed to scale down my payroll since I am firing my 'mediocre' hitting, fielding, and pitching coaches and will need cash in the coaching budget to go after the best available. I also need to start ramping up my $0 HS/Col scouting budgets jic of FA compensation picks. I couldn't afford to gamble on which Ford would show up next season for the $4.4 million.

I might even trade my catcher Chavez and DH Miller for a SP1/SP2 type pitcher to go in the 3 spot. Then I'll just need strong defensive low $ FAs to sub until I can get some hitting prospects in place. Thats the direction I think I'm heading in.

1/12/2011 1:37 PM
Posted by robusk on 1/12/2011 1:04:00 PM (view original):
Posted by r0b0t on 1/12/2011 12:58:00 PM (view original):
Posted by robusk on 1/12/2011 12:54:00 PM (view original):
Posted by r0b0t on 1/12/2011 12:51:00 PM (view original):
Yeah, those pitchers you signed were ridiculous. Meanwhile other teams are spending a lot more on inferior pitchers. Either they jumped on the IFA too soon or bid against themselves. Who knows.

I see the value in the market, but the few leagues I have some budget in that regard are too oversaturated with buyers.
Yeah, I really lucked out there.  Not sure what happened but I didn't expect to pull that off.  Right time to jump back in...  I have rarely played the market and ate money a number of times across worlds.  If it was going to work, I am glad it was in $.
I give BP a hard time for not fully committing to the international market. He only has a budget around $10m for IFA scouting each year, so his projections are always wacky and he's spending money without really knowing just how good the player really is. He really seems to be valuing pitch ratings more than most others. Doesn't seem to be working out for him recently.
Heh.  I think 10 is plenty.  I rarely budget even that much.

He usually gets talent, not sure what happened with his team this season.
I think he just didn't pay much attention. And he seems to think his pitchers were unlucky.
1/12/2011 1:37 PM
I've never been a buyer in free agency in any world. I feel like that will change in DM. Maybe Ruth, too.
1/12/2011 1:39 PM
That Gleeman world was funny because people were all mad that the commish hit the button to roll the league Christmas eve and Christmas was the day for budgeting.
1/12/2011 1:40 PM
Posted by moy23 on 1/12/2011 1:37:00 PM (view original):
I needed to scale down my payroll since I am firing my 'mediocre' hitting, fielding, and pitching coaches and will need cash in the coaching budget to go after the best available. I also need to start ramping up my $0 HS/Col scouting budgets jic of FA compensation picks. I couldn't afford to gamble on which Ford would show up next season for the $4.4 million.

I might even trade my catcher Chavez and DH Miller for a SP1/SP2 type pitcher to go in the 3 spot. Then I'll just need strong defensive low $ FAs to sub until I can get some hitting prospects in place. Thats the direction I think I'm heading in.

This is going to be fun.
1/12/2011 1:42 PM
Like having $4m in scouting is that different...
1/12/2011 1:43 PM
Posted by AlCheez on 1/12/2011 1:42:00 PM (view original):
Posted by moy23 on 1/12/2011 1:37:00 PM (view original):

This is going to be fun.
oh - and my training/med budgets are going up to 18/14. I learned my lesson last season in both $ and HR.
1/12/2011 1:44 PM

moy, TC

1/12/2011 1:48 PM
Posted by r0b0t on 1/12/2011 1:43:00 PM (view original):
Like having $4m in scouting is that different...
I can only go up in $4 mil increments. Have to start somewhere.
1/12/2011 1:54 PM
Would have been nice to have that foresight.
1/12/2011 2:04 PM
â—‚ Prev 1...1332|1333|1334|1335|1336...1822 Next â–¸
Shtickless - Unless Being Dead Is A Shtick Topic

Search Criteria

Terms of Use Customer Support Privacy Statement

© 1999-2024 WhatIfSports.com, Inc. All rights reserved. WhatIfSports is a trademark of WhatIfSports.com, Inc. SimLeague, SimMatchup and iSimNow are trademarks or registered trademarks of Electronic Arts, Inc. Used under license. The names of actual companies and products mentioned herein may be the trademarks of their respective owners.