Shtickless - Unless Being Dead Is A Shtick Topic

Posted by tisi29 on 7/26/2010 11:37:00 AM (view original):
so post alot this week.
doubtful, this is gonna be a killer week for me, and my home computer / internet got all fussy this weekend
7/26/2010 11:38 AM
I've still got more to give today, but mostly it has been Anton, busk, and VD getting them so far.
7/26/2010 11:38 AM
Doug perry has atrophied something sirius
7/26/2010 11:39 AM
Posted by AlCheez on 7/26/2010 10:41:00 AM (view original):
moy - the "he's the missing piece I need to win a World Series, I don't care what it takes to get him" angle, I can at least buy, though I really doubt he is that for you relative to what you could have gotten/stuck with for less - tisi's spindoctoring of the finances of the contract is what I was primarily responding to.

It's a terrible contract from a value perspective, but you're right, it may work, at least to some degree, for your purposes. But then we're back to the rlahann/robusk point - just because something went well doesn't mean it couldn't have been done better.
cheez - I agree the contract is outrageous for elcano. I had him for 2 days in 1st with $10 mil bonus and $8.9 x5 years until sergei outbid me. At that point there was no one left in FA to upgrade at RP and I already traded my last prospect to nlmiller to upgarde at SP in a sweet deal. I freed up all the cap money this season to get wiki but I was obviously not getting him after the first cycle. I lost the WS up 3-1 imo because RPs Kobiyashi, Hawkins, and Lee ran out of gas. My starters were fantastic. I am really hoping elcano is the missing piece for the slores. I could be wrong. My entire team (except the aging C. Duran) is locked up for 2 seasons (until the end of season 18). Its now or never. Next season I will be able to go back to $10 mil int scouting and $20 mil prospect budgeting. Elcano's salary won't hurt me over the next two seasons... we will see about the last 3 seasons of his contract. $13-14 is still pretty high for one player.
7/26/2010 11:43 AM
Posted by bret2775 on 7/26/2010 11:37:00 AM (view original):
I'm still waiting for the green \/ to appear
You would like rotten meat curtians
7/26/2010 11:48 AM
Posted by jwelsh1023 on 7/26/2010 10:25:00 AM (view original):
Posted by tisi29 on 7/26/2010 10:12:00 AM (view original):
Posted by AlCheez on 7/26/2010 10:06:00 AM (view original):
Posted by tisi29 on 7/26/2010 9:26:00 AM (view original):
Posted by moy23 on 7/26/2010 9:23:00 AM (view original):
Posted by dmurphy104 on 7/26/2010 9:20:00 AM (view original):
i think I may have out-stupidded someone on my FA target. Im taking the approcah that if it improves my starting lineup or pitching staff, that I'll pay whatever it takes.
Careful now.... that is eerily similar to my thoughts when I got elcano for $70 mil
which, again, for someone with your finances was only paying a 10-20% premium.  At my budget level, it would have been 75% too much.

Did anyone ever think Milwaukee would re-sign Sabathia?  He got overpaid by the Yankees, but to them it was only a 10% premium.
Silliness. The Yankees pay 25 million where other teams would pay 20, that much is true.

Elcano is making twice as much as any other reliever in $ - that's more than a 10-20% premium, I don't care what your budget level is. And the contract was 80 million.
At that point in FA, the $10M bonus meant nothing to moy.  So it was really a $70 M contract.  His payroll is expected to be about $50M more than the average payroll in the world.  That makes the contract about $45-50 M to anyone else.  Elcano should probably be worth around $7-8M/year (probably 10 owners would pay that) and he is paying him the rough equivalent of $9-10M/year - about 20% premium.  More in the first 2 years (when he says he knows somwething about his budget), and less in the last 3 years of the deal.
A bad contract.  But not as ridiculous as it seems at first glance.
But it is ridiculous when everyone has the same salary cap.  He is forgoing all other aspects to overpay a relief pitcher by $30 Million
This one nails it on the head.  Glad I didn't have to put out a rant when dubbs did it so succinctly.
7/26/2010 11:51 AM
moy - the "he's the missing piece I need to win a World Series, I don't care what it takes to get him" angle, I can at least buy, though I really doubt he is that for you relative to what you could have gotten/stuck with for less - tisi's spindoctoring of the finances of the contract is what I was primarily responding to.

It's a terrible contract from a value perspective, but you're right, it may work, at least to some degree, for your purposes. But then we're back to the rlahann/robusk point - just because something went well doesn't mean it couldn't have been done better.
And this
7/26/2010 11:52 AM
Posted by moy23 on 7/26/2010 11:43:00 AM (view original):

cheez - I agree the contract is outrageous for elcano. I had him for 2 days in 1st with $10 mil bonus and $8.9 x5 years until sergei outbid me. At that point there was no one left in FA to upgrade at RP and I already traded my last prospect to nlmiller to upgarde at SP in a sweet deal. I freed up all the cap money this season to get wiki but I was obviously not getting him after the first cycle. I lost the WS up 3-1 imo because RPs Kobiyashi, Hawkins, and Lee ran out of gas. My starters were fantastic. I am really hoping elcano is the missing piece for the slores. I could be wrong. My entire team (except the aging C. Duran) is locked up for 2 seasons (until the end of season 18). Its now or never. Next season I will be able to go back to $10 mil int scouting and $20 mil prospect budgeting. Elcano's salary won't hurt me over the next two seasons... we will see about the last 3 seasons of his contract. $13-14 is still pretty high for one player.
I still question whether you will be able to drop payroll by as much as you think and still keep the team together for season 18 - you've now got like 97 million locked up for 17-18 players, one of which is Hootie who is only around for sentimentality at this point, and you've got some guys due raises in arbitration - I think you'll feel it next year, it just won't be as much on your ML roster.
7/26/2010 11:53 AM
there are some players who are worth paying any price to go out and get, a lot of them were available in this offseason, Im not sure that Elcano was one of them, and Im not sure that hes good enough to put anyone in Moys position "over the top", especially with Scottsdale, San Antonio, and a retooled Montreal there.  If he had all that money left after losing other FA battles, im not sure what else he shouldve done with it.  He will be feeling the effects of it in future seasons
7/26/2010 11:54 AM
Posted by moy23 on 7/26/2010 11:43:00 AM (view original):

...and then an epic HR-like tank job?  Classy.
7/26/2010 11:54 AM
Nice, I get a type B pick out of a end of season FA pickup
7/26/2010 11:56 AM
I overpaid no one, had a far more depleted ML roster when the offseason started (like 5 ML guys to start), traded barely any prospects, accrued a crap ton of picks, have budget distributed in an effective manner and am not that far off of moy in the talent department.  He has a great 1-3 rotation, but mine is serviceable and his has almost no power on offense.

I am not trying to toot my own horn here.  TM had an amazing offseason, gin had a great offseason (though he really threw a ton of money around, he actually has some decent distribution in the budget), BLE, cheez, tlak and others also had really great offseasons...  that is just off the top of my head, I am sure there are others...  and none of them did it in a retarded fashion.

7/26/2010 12:01 PM
I hate when tie games screw with my ST substitutions. There's not a way around that that I've missed, is there?
7/26/2010 12:03 PM
Posted by AlCheez on 7/26/2010 12:03:00 PM (view original):
I hate when tie games screw with my ST substitutions. There's not a way around that that I've missed, is there?
other than not doing substitutions, and just playing regulars the first few games, and then prospects for the following games
7/26/2010 12:08 PM
Posted by dherz_263 on 7/26/2010 11:56:00 AM (view original):
Nice, I get a type B pick out of a end of season FA pickup
Love it when that happens.  I am still hoping to get a type B out of a guy I had in the minors last year.

But he is a genuine ML CF - Artie Wright - so someone sign him.
7/26/2010 12:09 PM
â—‚ Prev 1...514|515|516|517|518...1822 Next â–¸
Shtickless - Unless Being Dead Is A Shtick Topic

Search Criteria

Terms of Use Customer Support Privacy Statement

© 1999-2024 WhatIfSports.com, Inc. All rights reserved. WhatIfSports is a trademark of WhatIfSports.com, Inc. SimLeague, SimMatchup and iSimNow are trademarks or registered trademarks of Electronic Arts, Inc. Used under license. The names of actual companies and products mentioned herein may be the trademarks of their respective owners.