Selig should grow some balls... Topic

Quote: Originally posted by edsortails on 6/03/2010nope....not tainted, I have decided pitcher juggled the ball....watch it bounce in his gloveif he catches it clean,he gets the call see how easy that was?

The only problem with that is that Joyce himself said that he was watching the bag and did not see or take into account any kind of "bobble". Watch the replay. His eyes are clearly on the bag. He just blew the call.
6/3/2010 9:43 AM
MLB network talked to the official scorer ... who has said there is nothing in the play that would let him change it to an error
6/3/2010 9:46 AM
Quote: Originally Posted By Arte on 6/03/2010
Everybody played to win. If he was legitimately safe, then whatever. It happens. He was out by a step and the umpire botched it. The next guy made the last out. They lost the game. They lose the game either way. What difference does it make to go back now and officially acknowledge what everybody is unofficially acknowledging?

Because the objective is to win the game. They won. Everything else is just fluff. Maybe, if someone ever challenges Bonds for the single season HR record, we should just give them a couple of extra homers. Nobody likes Bonds anyway.
6/3/2010 9:55 AM
There is no way they should change the call after the fact. I'm a Tigers fan, admitted homer at times, and would LOVE to have seen Galarraga pitch the perfecto.

But there's no way in hell I'd want them to go back now and change it. Most sports love the fact that the human element is part of the game. Yes, we want the correct call to be made every time, but that's not gonna happen. So we have to live with the results, regardless of how much they suck.

I wonder, if/when more instant replay is introduced to baseball... if a situation exactly like this happened, and with replay, the reversed the call shortly after it happened... would THAT be tainted? I mean, it would be the correct call, the pitcher gets his no-no/perfecto, the umpire isn't crucified, everyone's happy... But the celebration of the moment would be delayed, and the spontaneity would be gone... would it still "feel" like a perfect game?

6/3/2010 10:13 AM
Damn. You said something intelligent.

I'm sure you've seen the "celebration" after a reviewed TD. They always seem so fake. Would Galarraga and his teammates sit on the bench or stand on the field while it was being reviewed?
6/3/2010 10:25 AM
would Galarraga be asked to give back a perfect game if out 27 was clearly called incorrectly?
6/3/2010 11:43 AM
Of course not. That would just be "part of the game". He can't help if the ump missed a call.
6/3/2010 11:47 AM
Meh, suppose Joyce called the guy OUT, and the replays showed clearly that he was bobbling the snowcone as the guy crosses the bag.

LIKE HE DID.

Tough luck, kid, but you'd have more sympathy if you caught the ball cleanly.
6/3/2010 12:11 PM
Orta was safe!!!!!! Still is.

Heh.
6/3/2010 12:25 PM
Selig will make a "statment" today.
6/3/2010 12:26 PM
Miami - Word is that baseball Commissioner Bud Selig will make some kind of statement today about the Jim Joyce fiasco last night. Joyce's blown call at first base at the end of the game in Detroit cost Tigers pitcher Armando Galarraga a perfect game, which Joyce later admitted.

I can't see Selig overturning Joyce's call, because it would open a Pandora's box he could never close. The St. Louis Cardinals would immediately file a petition to be named 1985 World Series champs in light of Don Denkinger's missed call in Game 6. And it would go on and on.

I don't see Selig giving in to using instant replays on calls at first base, either. He has been adamant about not doing that because of the delays in games, etc.

So, it will be interesting to see what Selig will say. I'm guessing he'll just say it's an unfortunate situation and that umpires are human and all that. But you never know. There is a huge outcry for him to award Galarraga a perfect game. I just can't see that happening.

My personal comment: I've been saying for years they should have a fifth umpire on every crew who would sit up in the press box and monitor instant replay. If he saw a blown call, he could immediately radio down to the umpire chief on the field to tell him what the correct call would be. It wouldn't take that long to do it because the ump in the box would have access to immediate replay.

This, of course, would create the need to hire an extra umpire for every crew, which obviously would be an expense for MLB. But it would end all of these blown calls that ruin games by giving umps a replay judge who could help them get it right.

And isn't getting it right the most important thing?

http://www.jsonline.com/blogs/sports/95518054.html
6/3/2010 12:27 PM
Quote: Originally posted by MikeT23 on 6/03/2010Damn.  You said something intelligent.  I'm sure you've seen the "celebration" after a reviewed TD.   They always seem so fake.  Would Galarraga and his teammates sit on the bench or stand on the field while it was being reviewed? 

Evvvvvvvvvvvvery now n then somethin works for me.

But I hear ya... I'd imagine it wouldn't take long to review a call like that (and it was pretty clear-cut), so I'd think they'd stay on the field... But either way, it just couldn't be the same as the sheer joy of being in the moment. Would have to be pretty anti-climactic...

Although, I'd guess an anti-climactic perfect game is better than a one-hitter.

News has broken that MLB/Selig is discussing the possibility of actually overturning the call. I still can't see how that's a good thing... but say he does overturn the call, disregard the "28th out", and give Galarraga his perfecto... Should it have an asterisk? Is it "tainted"? Seems like he deserves it, as the runner was clearly out, but the day after? Just seems weird.

Not to mention the can of worms that would open up for other disputed calls, if he does overturn it.
6/3/2010 12:32 PM
for crying out loud, it takes the viewing audience all of 10 seconds to see the replay and know what happened.......the 'delay' defense seems fabricated to deflect
6/3/2010 12:37 PM
Yeah, but umpires aren't as smart as the viewing audience.

Or as drunk.
6/3/2010 12:38 PM
Something to consider:

A lot of the sentiment for having MLB overturn the call is based in the fact that the final outcome of the game would not be changed; Tigers win 3-0.

But what if Cleveland had gone on to score 4 runs in the top of the ninth after the blown call, and then hung on to win the game 4-3?

Overturning the blown call would then have a direct impact on the outcome of the game.

You cannot just pick and choose when you have the commish step in and override an umpire's judgement call based on the game situation at the moment, and the things that may or may not have happened subsequent to the blown call.

That would be a horrible, horrible precedent.
6/3/2010 12:40 PM
◂ Prev 1|2|3|4...30 Next ▸
Selig should grow some balls... Topic

Search Criteria

Terms of Use Customer Support Privacy Statement

© 1999-2024 WhatIfSports.com, Inc. All rights reserved. WhatIfSports is a trademark of WhatIfSports.com, Inc. SimLeague, SimMatchup and iSimNow are trademarks or registered trademarks of Electronic Arts, Inc. Used under license. The names of actual companies and products mentioned herein may be the trademarks of their respective owners.