Selig should grow some balls... Topic

"Given last night's call and other recent events, I will examine our umpiring system, the expanded use of instant replay and all other related features. Before I announce any decisions, I will consult with all appropriate parties, including our two unions and the Special Committee for On-Field Matters, which consists of field managers, general managers, club owners and presidents."
6/3/2010 2:57 PM
And to answer the obvious retort; Barfield/Bell/Moseby were all 21 or 22.
6/3/2010 2:57 PM
Quote: Originally Posted By kermit on 6/03/2010"blah blah blah cya cya cya blah blah blah"
6/3/2010 2:58 PM
Quote: Originally Posted By kermit on 6/03/2010"Given last night's call and other recent events, I will examine our umpiring system, the expanded use of instant replay and all other related features. Before I announce any decisions, I should be retired and the next dope can handle this crap."

Good call, Bud.
6/3/2010 3:03 PM
Quote: Originally Posted By Arte on 6/03/2010
Quote: Originally posted by tecwrg on 6/03/2010
A decision to overturn an umpire's judgement call cannot be made in a vacuum, just to create a "feel good" moment. There would be ramifications if this were to occur.

Just because YOU do not "buy this prescedent (sic) argument" doesn't mean that it doesn't exist. You've got to look at the big picture.
Define the ramifications. And please keep the rhetorical speculation to a minimum
Having the commissioner's office overturn an umpire's judgement call?

If you do it for this call (which had no effect on the final outcome of the game), then you would need to start doing it for other games where a bad call may indeed have affected the outcome of the game. Like the Twins/Mariners game last night, as kneeneighbor pointed out.

You don't see that as a problem?

If MLB is going to address this, they will need to address it going forward, most likely through instant replay within a set of very well-defined guidelines, rather than a retro-active reversal of past games.
6/3/2010 3:04 PM
Quote: Originally Posted By kermit on 6/03/2010"Given last night's call and other recent events, I will examine our umpiring system, the expanded use of instant replay and all other related features. Before I announce any decisions, I will consult with all appropriate parties, including our two unions and the Special Committee for On-Field Matters, which consists of field managers, general managers, club owners and presidents."
As big of a clown as Bud is, this really was the best thing he could have said or done at this time.

It will be interesting to see what the eventual results of his examination.
6/3/2010 3:08 PM
They're already using instant replay for homers. Why not use it for FORCE-OUTS only? Tag plays still require a good angle to make the call, and would still be open to debate. I would guess that will be the result of this fiasco.
6/3/2010 3:08 PM
Quote: Originally Posted By toddcommish on 6/03/2010They're already using instant replay for homers. Why not use it for FORCE-OUTS only? Tag plays still require a good angle to make the call, and would still be open to debate. I would guess that will be the result of this fiasco
You can use it for any play, tag-outs, force-outs, etc. Even fair/foul if they want to put that in scope. And using the NFL's use of replay as a baseline, the video needs to provide conclusive evidence to overturn a call.
6/3/2010 3:12 PM
As McClellan said this AM, the FORCE-OUT may not be the end of the play. Other things can occur. What then?
Example: 1st/2nd, 1 out. Double play ball. Phantom touch of 2B, short hops the 1B. Initial runner on 2nd gets caught in a run down as he thinks of scoring before the 1B retrieves the ball. Ball ends up in LF. What do you do with the runner at 2nd, who was called out but was really safe? What if he ran off the field? Maybe he kept running bases just in case? Maybe he was out but he was running the bases because he thought he was safe.

Nightmare.
6/3/2010 3:14 PM
This post could not be converted. To view the original post's thread, click here.
6/3/2010 3:56 PM
Selig actually got something right for a change

Instant replay is not used for such plays - it's in the rules right now for very specific usage, but it doesnt include plays at first base

we only know the call was wrong because we saw it on, yep you guessed it, instant replay

until its in the rules, no way can it be changed
6/3/2010 3:59 PM
Arte, I'll say it again, because you're apparently not getting it.

To the best of my knowledge, an umpire's judgement call has never been overruled after the fact. Never. There is no precedent for doing so. Creating a precedent by doing so now would be foolish because, in the big picture, a statistical achievement like a perfect game is a trivial thing. The object of baseball is for your team to win, not for an individual to achieve a statistical accomplishment.

For Selig to make an exception for a trivial achievement would open up Pandora's Box. Should he also overturn the bad umpires call at the end of the Twins/Mariners game last night as well, the play in which the winning run scored on what should have been the final out of the inning had a call not been missed at second base?

You can't have the commissioner arbitrarily deciding to overturn a blown call in one game just to create a "feel good" moment unless you're willing to open the door to have him overturn blown calls in all games. If that were the case, almost every game played every day of the season will see a protest filed.

Is that where you want this to go?
6/3/2010 4:09 PM
So what would you call what Vincent's commission in the early '90 did when they ruled a bunch of no hitter were no longer no hitters? i'll answer that. they retroactively changed the definition of a no hitter and discounted 50 that had been previouslt considered no hitters. So it seems to me baseball does concern themselves with "statistical accomplishments". Again, it would be a symbolic move to recognize a rare acheivement. no overturn of the unpire's ruling is necessary. Leave the stats as they are if that will make you happy. but acknowledge reality. The 27th batter was out. everybody, including the umpire who's opinion is the only one that matters, say so.
6/3/2010 5:34 PM
Quote: Originally Posted By Arte on 6/03/2010
(1) So what would you call what Vincent's commission in the early '90 did when they ruled a bunch of no hitter were no longer no hitters?
i'll answer that. they retroactively changed the definition of a no hitter and discounted 50 that had been previouslt considered no hitters. So it seems to me baseball does concern themselves with "statistical accomplishments". Again, it would be a symbolic move to recognize a rare acheivement. (2) no overturn of the unpire's ruling is necessary. Leave the stats as they are if that will make you happy. but acknowledge reality. The 27th batter was out. everybody, including the umpire who's opinion is the only one that matters, say so.
(1) Vincent's ruling was concerned with the definition of a no-hitter. It was not changing results of individual plays in those games, as would be the case here. Surely, you can see the difference.

(2) Of course an overturn of the umpire's ruling is necessary, because you cannot have a perfect game if the scorebook shows a hitter safely reaching base for any reason.

If it makes you feel better, call it a perfect game. Everybody knows that it was. But since there is no mechanism or precedent in place to overturn an umpire's judgement call, it cannot be officially recognized as one by MLB.
6/3/2010 5:46 PM
◂ Prev 1|2|3|4|5|6...30 Next ▸
Selig should grow some balls... Topic

Search Criteria

Terms of Use Customer Support Privacy Statement

© 1999-2024 WhatIfSports.com, Inc. All rights reserved. WhatIfSports is a trademark of WhatIfSports.com, Inc. SimLeague, SimMatchup and iSimNow are trademarks or registered trademarks of Electronic Arts, Inc. Used under license. The names of actual companies and products mentioned herein may be the trademarks of their respective owners.