ASK THE MIKET23 THREAD, PT. 6 Topic

Should I give up on this team?  San Juan Marlins 
9/7/2012 7:26 AM
It sort of depends.   Sometimes he hits first or second.   "Best' carries a pretty wide range.   Unconventional baseball wisdom says batting your best guy third is a bad idea.  Over the course of a season, he's the one most likely to hit with no one on base.  Nonetheless, if I have a guy with lots of power and a weak eye, he can still be my "best" but I'll hit him third.  My reasoning is he may hit a solo homer or, if one of the first two get on, a 2 run homer.  If my "best" hitter has a good OBP and speed, he might hit 1-2(depending who hits in the other spot).    Batting order is pretty fluid and based on who else I have.

I wouldn't expect him to hit .280 but, if he does, his OBP/SLG are about right.   I'd expect more like .240 AVG with .330 OBP and .490 SLG.  .800 OPS but inconsistent in that he'll go 1 for 18 and then have a 3 homer game with a walk.

O I C.  Seems a simple "Players suspended for PED use are ineligible for awards" rule would work.    Of course, it a 'roider hits 53 homers and gets suspended with 12 games left, it would be hard sell to say the guy with 38 homers wins the HR title.

MAYBE SO BUT HE'S THE BRIGHTEST CRAYON IN THE BOX!!!

Well, since the season is over, it's less about "give up" and more about fixing it.  Your contact and eye are weak.    Everything else seems like at least a .500 team. 
9/7/2012 8:48 AM
Can you make a call on the Presidential election right now?
9/7/2012 10:06 AM
Unless Obama makes another "YOU DIDN'T BUILD THAT!!!!" blunder, I don't think Romney can beat him.   Romney has an Al Gore-like personality.   It will not play well when he and Obama debate.  Maybe he can pound the facts on Obama's record and get him frustrated but, if he can't make Obama look bad head to head, he can't win.
9/7/2012 10:10 AM
what ratio of sb/cs do you like for your team's baserunning?
9/7/2012 2:07 PM
It's kind of team/park specific but when I dip below 66%, regardless of situation, I adjust my settings.   If we struggle to score, or I'm in a heavy pitcher's park, I'll get closer to 65%.   If I feel like my team can win without a SB, I have to be over 75%.   Mantle/Boston Tea Party are good examples.  I inherited the worst Spd/BR combo I've ever seen in Mantle.  So I started building the team around the hitters I'd keep and, therefore, didn't worry much about SB.   I went 0-2 on my way to the LCS in hitter heavy Scottsdale.  BTP was pretty much a clean slate.  Memphis is a heavy pitcher park.   I have to steal.   I went 99-57 on my way to the LCS.    I'd punch myself in the nuts if I gave up 57 outs in Mantle like that. 
9/7/2012 2:37 PM
2012 election ;  The worst two Presidential candidates in the history of the United States?
9/7/2012 5:04 PM

No.  Jimmy Carter vs. Gerald Ford.   Brutal.

9/7/2012 5:26 PM
so, if you make a rule saying players suspended for or caught using PEDs are ineligible for awards, does that mean you have to go back and take Jose canseco and Sammy Sosa's MVP awards away?  If you say Melky can't win, then those guys any other winners who were caught using PEDs shouldn't be able to win either, right?
9/8/2012 2:54 AM
No, it doesn't mean that.   I guess you could make the rule retroactive but I'm not sure anyone cares enough to make it worthwhile.
9/8/2012 8:23 AM
I have the first pick in the draft and due to budgeting, can only see college level players. These appear to be the best available players. Of the two, which would you choose and why?

http://www.whatifsports.com/HBD/Pages/Popups/ProspectProfile.aspx?pid=5220088

http://www.whatifsports.com/HBD/Pages/Popups/ProspectProfile.aspx?pid=5220090

9/8/2012 9:30 PM
PAPPY BUSH+ DUKAKIS?
9/8/2012 9:58 PM
Why do the Yankees continue to pitch to Mark Reynolds?
9/8/2012 11:13 PM

All I can see is:

Ratings aren't available for this player because he wasn't scouted well enough.

NO.  CARTER VS FORD.

He strikes out a lot. 

9/9/2012 7:06 AM
JAMES BUCHANAN (INEPTNESS HELPED LEAD TO CIVIL WAR) VS. MILLARD FILLMORE(KNOW-NOTHING)+ JOHN FREMONT(EGOTISTICAL EXPLORER)?
9/9/2012 7:48 AM
◂ Prev 1...652|653|654|655|656...1151 Next ▸
ASK THE MIKET23 THREAD, PT. 6 Topic

Search Criteria

Terms of Use Customer Support Privacy Statement

© 1999-2024 WhatIfSports.com, Inc. All rights reserved. WhatIfSports is a trademark of WhatIfSports.com, Inc. SimLeague, SimMatchup and iSimNow are trademarks or registered trademarks of Electronic Arts, Inc. Used under license. The names of actual companies and products mentioned herein may be the trademarks of their respective owners.