ASK THE MIKET23 THREAD, PT. 6 Topic

What type of stats would you expect from a rhb 85/88/50/75/70. Con pow vL vR batting eye
1/6/2017 3:15 PM
This is the closest I have. He's better than your guy but I'd expect maybe .050 less OPS.

Player Profile: Kirt Keller - Hardball Dynasty Baseball | WhatIfSports
1/6/2017 3:23 PM
Who wins tonight?
1/9/2017 12:29 PM
Bama. Their D is just too strong. Clemson has a shot if Jalen Hurts starts being a freshman and Watson only throws to the orange hats. Otherwise, Bama rolls 'em.
1/9/2017 12:41 PM
so i keep seeing stories about how people are sure that some baseball players already in the hall of fame were roiders. not just takers of greenies, but was on the juice. any idea who those guys might be in your opinion? and i'm not including piazza cause this was talked about before he officially got elected in.
1/9/2017 1:24 PM
My two favorites are Griffey and Ripken. And it's for different reasons.

Griffey was cranking out 150 game seasons regularly up until 30. And that was despite his "run into the wall to make a catch" style. Then, all of a sudden, he could pull a muscle picking his nose. That's often a case of the muscle being too big for the frame. It just happened too fast and it happened right before MLB got serious about PED. And just when one's peak natural talent taper off.

Ripken played all those consecutive games. You have to get nicked and dinged over the course of a season. A low dose of 'roids year 'round will take care of that.

Others could be Rickey(he always talked about how he had a "football body"), Smoltz(major arm injury and recovery), Frank Thomas(huge dude). I might even throw in somebody like Gwynn because he played with Caminiti. Anyone who saw another player greatly benefiting should be suspect. After all, it's a lot of money and, if it's not against the rules, there's no incentive to not give it a shot.
1/9/2017 1:46 PM
*GASP!* SACRED COWS!
Is it fair to infer that your opinion is that if you're willing to suspect one miscreant, you have to be willing to suspect them all, otherwise you're just being a *****?
In other words you can't say, "your guy roided, he had back acne and a huge head" and "my guy would never do that, he volunteered at the boys and girls club and gave turkeys to the homeless."

1/9/2017 2:32 PM
Yes, that is fair. Everyone knows that I was a big Jeter fan. I've said, many times, that I think he used. Separated shoulder ended his season. He comes back next year and has the best power production of his career. In the PED era. It's reasonable that he used to recover and benefited from it when the season started.
1/9/2017 2:47 PM
True of false: this sentence appeared in a report on the Packers/Giants game from ESPN.com

NFL security is investigating the hole in the wall.

?
1/9/2017 3:05 PM
True. Otherwise you wouldn't be asking.
1/9/2017 4:02 PM
What do you suppose NFL security will do with their findings on the hole in the wall?
1/9/2017 5:00 PM
I don't know but I bet we find out in 2019!!!
1/9/2017 5:47 PM
My budget is due tonight at midnight. I have all my positions players signed. I have 3 pitcher slots to fill (1 SP, 1 LR, 1 SU). I basically need 225 IP out of these three guys (last year, the SP had 145 IP, LR had 102 IP, and SU had 78 IP). The starter is a SP5 (with 4 other studs, 74-16 last year) and doesn't need to be great. I need the SU guy to be good as he'd be my #2 SU. Fwiw, I've averaged 107-55 the past 4 seasons (win now mode). My current budget distribution is as follows:

$100M Player Payroll
$20M Prospect Payroll
$84M Committed Player Salaries (for all levels)

Which of the following strategies makes more sense to you...

Option 1
- Sign league minimum bullpen arms or promote from within (no obvious arms to promote)
- Use $16M to transfer to prospect payroll and go for a high end IFA (probably would be 3rd or 4th highest bidder). I have one SP that is 35 and one that is 30. My position players (minus SS) are all really good but a few are older (32, 29, 28, 27, 27, 24, 23). If I can sign another IFA, he could replace the 35 yr old SP or one of the 27+ yr old position players in a few years)

Option 2
- Use $14M excess to sign one of the best bullpen arms OR I can re-sign the 3 players I had last year for a total of $9.4M (although all are very average players).
- Use any excess money for bonuses to reduce LT contracts for positions players (I have 2 position players looking for LT deals, current ages 29 and 28)

Thanks in advance!
1/10/2017 8:40 PM
Well, your situation isn't the way I play it. If I'm in a "win now", I don't have 20m in prospect. But, if I did, I'd look to see what sort of arms are available. If there's a very good one, I'd chase him and leave my prospect at 20m. If not, option 2 is still available. You probably have a couple of decent arms that can give you a few innings and you can supplement it with a cheap FA or two at the end of free agency.
1/10/2017 9:00 PM
I was actually just coming to edit my post to change it the budget in Situation 2, I would actually have $28M in excess ($14M extra in payroll and $14M extra from reducing Prospect Payroll). Would that change anything in your answer? I try to sign an IFA even if in win-now mode, but I'm getting to the point where my young guys are now costing me $8M/yr instead of league minimum.
1/10/2017 9:06 PM
◂ Prev 1...1079|1080|1081|1082|1083...1151 Next ▸
ASK THE MIKET23 THREAD, PT. 6 Topic

Search Criteria

Terms of Use Customer Support Privacy Statement

© 1999-2024 WhatIfSports.com, Inc. All rights reserved. WhatIfSports is a trademark of WhatIfSports.com, Inc. SimLeague, SimMatchup and iSimNow are trademarks or registered trademarks of Electronic Arts, Inc. Used under license. The names of actual companies and products mentioned herein may be the trademarks of their respective owners.