ASK THE MIKET23 THREAD, PT. 6 Topic

That is not a question.
9/25/2012 7:13 PM
I was just entering into evidence.

WHO CAUGHT THE BALL?

9/25/2012 7:22 PM
The defensive SS who is actually quite valuable come playoff time.
9/25/2012 8:11 PM
Alrighty then.  Here is the young man in question - http://www.whatifsports.com/HBD/Pages/Popups/PlayerProfile.aspx?pid=5032630

So my challenge, then, is to find this player enough ABs throughout his minor league career to allow his glove to develop to elite status... when it appears he will never be able to do anything at all with any ABs he ever has?

Actually, the great thing is that I could play him at any level, because he might never hit anywhere.

9/25/2012 8:31 PM
Why does damag care if his guy hits at all in the minors?
9/25/2012 8:50 PM
Alright, we get to the point of this thread.  There are two(well, three) reasons for it.

First, and foremost, it's been continued to entertain me.  That's always the most important thing.
Second, it's to teach new people something I may have picked up along the way.  I think the game gets better when owners are knowledgeable.  I'll offer honest answers to all questions.   But I won't give up my formulas.  Sorry.
Third, Threadmaster Sergie created it because I wasn't quick enough in answer a sitemail(Version 1, anyway).

OK, now to your question.  No, he'll never hit.  Ever.  Not even if WifS starts a HBD: Little League, where it all started.   Anyway, that's not important.   Nor is winning at the minor league level.  The minors are for developing BL players.  Even the specialty guys.   I can't see his projections but I'll take your word that he'll be an 85 across the board D player.   Play him in the minors.  I put a note with everyone I think could contribute on a BL team.  Even if it's a playoff roster spot only.  And they play in the minors.  But, on to his usefulness.   I tend to "short-staff" my roster in the playoffs.  I only carry 8-9 pitchers because that's all I want pitching.   That leaves me a lot of roster spots.   I'll take a D-only guy and use him as a D-replacement.   If my starting SS is good enough(and can hit), I'll use my D-SS as a D-R at 2B/3B or even in the OF.   If he makes one positive play that my starter wouldn't have, he's done what I wanted.
9/25/2012 9:02 PM
He's new.
9/25/2012 9:02 PM
Understood to both of you. Now sorry to drag this out, but Wills's problem is not just that he can't hit. He's sitting behind another SS from the same draft class who is a year younger, and he can actually hit a little, AND his glove projects better. I don't want to move Wills to 2B or CF either because that's where the top prospects on the team are.

So is the move you'd make to find the position on the team where the player with the least chance of making BL is, and play Wills there?

OR - even send him back to rookie ball for PT?
9/25/2012 9:25 PM
Personally, I don't believe position played in the minors affects fielding development(I posted 8-9 guys a few years ago that indicated that it doesn't).   If you have NINE position players at one level that you project as BL players, something is amiss.   Move some guys around, get him some playing time. 

Edit:  This guy is my best example Hardball Dynasty – Fantasy Baseball Sim Games - Player Profile: Angel Hernandez   Played more at positions other than SS more in the minors and stil had a "normal" development pattern(considering DL trips).    Playing 2B/3B/CF didn't seem to hurt his fielding development.
9/25/2012 9:39 PM (edited)
I won the longest drive at my company's United Way golf tournament today.  I out-drove the CEO of the company.

Will I still have a job tomorrow?
9/25/2012 9:31 PM
I assume you'll still be giving the daily handies to your superiors so, yeah, you'll still have a job. 
9/25/2012 9:40 PM
DO YE SEE "EARWIG" EVERYTIME YE SEE "TECWRG" LIKE I DO?

9/26/2012 6:19 AM
I DO NOT!!!!  THAT'S JUST WEIRD!!!!
9/26/2012 7:05 AM
If you bring up a career AAAA-type guy as a 15-day DL injury replacement, and he tears it up during his time on the roster, would you stick with him and leave the DL guy on the DL even after he's healthy and ride out the AAAA guy's hot streak until he starts to cool off?  Or will you just take the over-productivity that you got from the AAAA guy as "house money" and cash him in as profit (i.e. activate the DL'd guy and option the AAAA guy back to the minors)?
9/26/2012 11:11 AM
If something works, I tend not to mess with even if I know it's a fluke.    So, yeah, I keep the AAAA guy in the bigs.  Especially if I'm getting injury bumps.
9/26/2012 11:38 AM
◂ Prev 1...659|660|661|662|663...1151 Next ▸
ASK THE MIKET23 THREAD, PT. 6 Topic

Search Criteria

Terms of Use Customer Support Privacy Statement

© 1999-2024 WhatIfSports.com, Inc. All rights reserved. WhatIfSports is a trademark of WhatIfSports.com, Inc. SimLeague, SimMatchup and iSimNow are trademarks or registered trademarks of Electronic Arts, Inc. Used under license. The names of actual companies and products mentioned herein may be the trademarks of their respective owners.