Racists!!! Topic

This post has a rating of , which is below the default threshold.
I think there would be several reactions.

1.  He shouldn't have been there.   Just not good enough yet.
2.  The NL just gave the AL the home field advantage in the WS simply for marketing purposes.
3.  The NL's inferiority has been put on display again.
4.  Another reason the A/S game should never decide home field advantage.

6/22/2010 9:09 AM
You cant have Baker saying lets go with who deserves it while the current process allows fan voting (especially on the internet)
6/22/2010 9:11 AM
I think pitchers are chosen with a little better process.    Of course, I'm forced to believe Manuel and Girardi aren't entirely objective when choosing their staff.

Doesn't MLB do an "Add a deserving player who didn't make it" via fan vote after the A/S teams are announced?  Why not put SS on that ballot?
6/22/2010 9:14 AM
do they put pitchers on that list? i'm trying to remember....
6/22/2010 9:18 AM
I don't think so.  But there's no reason they can't.
6/22/2010 9:20 AM
true dat
6/22/2010 9:23 AM
Of course, Washington could pitch him the Sunday before the A/S game and put an end to any discussion.
6/22/2010 9:25 AM
After he's made his 7 starts or so if he puts up numbers like he has been you'd be able to put up an argument that he could be included.

He may even have more inning pitched at the all star break than some of the relief pitchers selected (he should have about 7 starts by then around 40-45 IP.)

I'm guessing it'd be kind of unprecedented.  I can't think of anything similar happening before, although I know there have been position players who missed significant chunks of the first half and made the team due to fan voting

It would generate a ton of excitement.  Baseball always needs that.
6/22/2010 9:33 AM
if he throws 30 or so innings before the all star break, and continues at this level, why not?

most closers that are going to be included on the AS roster will have thrown just about that many....same sample size, better numbers
6/22/2010 9:34 AM
I am drawing a blank right now, who would represent the Nationals if SS is not there.
6/22/2010 9:38 AM
Posted by sergei91 on 6/22/2010 9:18:00 AM (view original):
do they put pitchers on that list? i'm trying to remember....
No.  They have a set amount of pitchers (12) and positions players on the roster.  The extra player voting is specifically intended to elect an additional position player.
6/22/2010 9:39 AM
Posted by kneeneighbor on 6/22/2010 9:38:00 AM (view original):
I am drawing a blank right now, who would represent the Nationals if SS is not there.
Ryan Zimmerman would seem to be their most likely choice, given the position he plays.  Livan Hernandez is having a really fluky year and may be considered but I have a feeling he's going to be experiencing some regression to the mean very soon.

They also have a reliever, Tyler Clippard who has been lights out and has vultured a couple wins.
6/22/2010 9:43 AM
123456 Next ▸
Racists!!! Topic

Search Criteria

Terms of Use Customer Support Privacy Statement

© 1999-2024 WhatIfSports.com, Inc. All rights reserved. WhatIfSports is a trademark of WhatIfSports.com, Inc. SimLeague, SimMatchup and iSimNow are trademarks or registered trademarks of Electronic Arts, Inc. Used under license. The names of actual companies and products mentioned herein may be the trademarks of their respective owners.