Diamonds in the Rough? Topic

First, I only scanned your post. But now I've re-read it. You didn't really say that. At all. No where in that first post was success/merit-based mentioned.

Anyway, I've long suggested only from .500+ teams at their levels(take care of minors), success(good results) and age/level appropriate(no loading up HIA teams with AAAA prospects to game the system).

But I don't think any of that will happen. Due to the short-sighted decision to NOT do end of season transfers, I more expect HBD to rot on the vine than see any changes.
12/26/2017 1:50 PM
I could get behind something like that. You might get some DiTR out of a player you feel like "I really coached him up", or you could target a player you knew you'd have a shortage of at the ML level someday. It would be far more interesting than the random 22yo long reliever in AA who has his splits "shoot up" to 30/30 after four seasons, which just feels like a wasted opportunity.

12/26/2017 1:55 PM
I just think it's interesting that the diamond indicator was not always there, that it became an addition between 2010 and 2013. The way it is now is the only way I've ever experienced it, but at the time this thread began it did not exist. I think it's actually practical the original way (without logo) because ADV would have value for evaluating other teams' rosters for trades and rule 5.

They should remove the old patch and remove the Diamond logo, especially because they removed historical development intervals in 2016 or whatever. Maybe then each ADV budget unit gets you 1 past interval, so if you did 20 ADV you'd get approx 3-4 past seasons' worth of development intervals, with 10 ADV you get approx 1.5-2 seasons' worth, with 0 you get no recent intervals. That would be the only way of knowing who other teams' DITRs were
12/26/2017 4:33 PM (edited)
Pretty sure the DITR report always existed. The diamond just made it easier to see on YOUR team. I know, when looking for that "throw-in" during a trade, I'd look at the DITR report to add a guy.
12/26/2017 4:42 PM
Well then they would have to kill the DITR report to make other teams' DITRs a secret and have the indicator only apply to your own team's players. You and I and damag are all on the same page that we like the idea of "coaching them up" and having potential increase gradually for players and teams who deserve it on merit, exactly how you said.

unlikee damag I do actually like that guys can randomly become Superman but a) it should be moved to rollover and b) every team should get exactly one and one only. That would be more equitable, and the software itself could decide who was each team's best candidate based on an algorithm or whatever. Each team would have one guy go from 50 current OVR to 60 current/ 80 potential or whatever, but again it would be offseason as opposed to randomly waking up in the middle of the season.

Everything beyond that in-season would be gradual based on performance and coaching. Making these types of changes would make both ADV and COA budgets more relevant simultaneously, and for years they've both been pretty irrelevant and everyone complains about them the most
12/26/2017 4:55 PM
I agree. I was one of the first to go 0 ADV. It took several seasons/years for others to catch on. Remove DITR "notices" and that's tougher on experienced users to get in trade. But you'd also have to remove the "in-season" bumps. If I see a guy go 50 to 60 in-season, I know what's up

It's a lot to implement and I'm not sure WifS is implementing anything. Fun to discuss though.
12/26/2017 5:02 PM
Can anybody post any examples of any guys that they think are absolutely ripe (high potential) for a DITR?
12/28/2017 6:46 PM
That's a losing proposition. But guys with low overall but good cores are the ones you want to get it. Usually it's a DUR/STM/HLTH issue dragging them down. When they get the DITR bump, they're suddenly a great 100 game a year guy.
12/28/2017 7:01 PM
Would you really deactivate guys as many guys as possible and keep active the guys with the most potential? Like a few guys that have the attributes that you mentioned above?
12/28/2017 7:06 PM
This is a guy I'd want. He's good against VL already with a great arm. Give him a power boost and some help with AA/PC and he's a fine platoon catcher.
12/28/2017 7:06 PM
Do they have to be young? Less than 22 years of age? Or, is it more about how many years he has been in the league? Less than 4 years in the league?
12/28/2017 7:10 PM
Pretty sure it's pro years.

I deactivate 4 year pros and TC pitchers because they're not getting there even with DITR. This might be pointless because you could get 1-4 DITR so deactivating players doesn't mean someone takes his place. Your low OVR guys are getting the bumps.
12/28/2017 7:25 PM
Even with DITR, I don't think ANY of those guys make the bigs. That said, 0-1 pro guys might get one. Can't hurt them.
12/28/2017 7:53 PM
◂ Prev 123456 Next ▸
Diamonds in the Rough? Topic

Search Criteria

Terms of Use Customer Support Privacy Statement

© 1999-2024 WhatIfSports.com, Inc. All rights reserved. WhatIfSports is a trademark of WhatIfSports.com, Inc. SimLeague, SimMatchup and iSimNow are trademarks or registered trademarks of Electronic Arts, Inc. Used under license. The names of actual companies and products mentioned herein may be the trademarks of their respective owners.