Diamonds in the Rough? Topic

I was lucky enough to take over a team that had SOME major league talent (especially starting pitching). However, the team had next to nothing in the minors. I am scratching and clawing to get some guys in my minors, while still trying to remain competitive in the bigs.
12/30/2017 9:37 AM (edited)
A colleague of mine says that there is a 'high potential email' you get in your world inbox when you get popped with a DITR that has extremely high potential. I thought all of those messages were just canned. The message I got told me to watch my guy more closely. So, maybe my guy does not have as much potential as his guy. This makes sense. My guy is set to get overall of 70. His guy is set to get overall of 80+.

His guy: Player Profile: Deion Hogan - Hardball Dynasty Baseball | WhatIfSports
My guy: Player Profile: Miguel Rincon - Hardball Dynasty Baseball | WhatIfSports

I deactivated a bunch of guys this year in hopes of not 'wasting' a DITR. It ended up that I only received one DITR. He is decent, but he is certainly not one of those that is going to turn into a stud setupA.
1/5/2018 12:00 PM
Posted by tlowster on 1/5/2018 12:00:00 PM (view original):
A colleague of mine says that there is a 'high potential email' you get in your world inbox when you get popped with a DITR that has extremely high potential. I thought all of those messages were just canned. The message I got told me to watch my guy more closely. So, maybe my guy does not have as much potential as his guy. This makes sense. My guy is set to get overall of 70. His guy is set to get overall of 80+.

His guy: Player Profile: Deion Hogan - Hardball Dynasty Baseball | WhatIfSports
My guy: Player Profile: Miguel Rincon - Hardball Dynasty Baseball | WhatIfSports

I deactivated a bunch of guys this year in hopes of not 'wasting' a DITR. It ended up that I only received one DITR. He is decent, but he is certainly not one of those that is going to turn into a stud setupA.
I've never seen nor heard of a high-potential mail notification.
1/5/2018 8:01 PM
This post has a rating of , which is below the default threshold.
Player Profile: Lisalverto Volquez - Hardball Dynasty Baseball | WhatIfSports

This has been my best DITR pitching prospect so far. Think he has a chance to contribute.
1/8/2018 12:39 PM
Fernando Colon will probably be a fireman of the year candidate for many years to come. Nice. Did you have him on your team due to luck, or did you trade for him knowing that he was a good DITR candidate? Also, did you trade for him before or after he got the DITR?
2/7/2018 6:37 PM
Posted by tlowster on 2/7/2018 6:37:00 PM (view original):
Fernando Colon will probably be a fireman of the year candidate for many years to come. Nice. Did you have him on your team due to luck, or did you trade for him knowing that he was a good DITR candidate? Also, did you trade for him before or after he got the DITR?
I traded for him prior to his DITR, at the beginning of the season he received it. I had a 1-for-1 deal for major league players where I threw in a AAAA prospect for 2 DITR candidates. Here were his attributes at the beginning of that season:
Spring Training S23 48 OVR 45 25 41 19 11 49 99 27 83 37 98
Spring Training S23 11 56 60 50 31 93 85 69 40 0 0

So basically the way it works is that makeup basically controls the size of the initial boost, and certain attributes are fixed while others are different degrees of variable
Fixed (for pitchers): range, glove, arm strength, arm acc (sometimes?), pitch calling; all 6 yellows; Vel and gb/fb
variable (for pitchers): stam (drastically so, the best increase), control (up to 30 after the initial boost), splits (up to 25 after the initial boost), P1-P5 (depends, usually P1 is the smallest- around 15ish, P2-P4 can be a little more depending on the player)

So basically Colon had the perfect profile, with had as much raw talent as possible packed into 48 OVR. Very low starting stamina took a huge initial leap, control and splits were already huge, P1 and P2 were already very good. So here is how he looked after rollover:
Spring Training S24 73 OVR 46 26 42 20 11 50 100 27 85 37 99
Spring Training S24 39 73 74 67 32 94 90 79 57 0 0

+25 OVR year-over-year is by far the best I've ever had. When they say "makeup helps development" they're not kidding. The initial stam boost went from 11 to something like 30, and rollover from 30 to 39. Control/splits went from 56-60-50 to something like 65-68-60, P1 only jumped a tiny bit but P2 jumped about 7 and P3 jumped about 12, and then he got good coaching for the remainder of the season + playoffs and then I promoted at the end to get the big end of season boost, and then I played him in 12-14 games as SuA in spring training the next season to get him +3s and +4s in coached attributes. Huge instant gains

So yeah, there are many layers that go into it. It's impossible to know the future of who gets tagged and who doesn't, so all you can do is identify the best candidates, roster them, deactivate any trash the night after the all star game, and hope for the best. Every once in a blue moon your very best #1 candidate gets smashed on the head and the result is that you get a guy that would cost $25-30M in IFA. I've had plenty of success with DITR, guys like Stephen Anderson and Matthew Dubler could also get to 80 OVR, so it comes down to sometimes you need to make your own luck
2/7/2018 8:14 PM (edited)
This post has a rating of , which is below the default threshold.
Hey guys. Anybody have an idea why this guy had such a small DITR bump when his makeup was 83?

Player Profile: Clem Schlosser - Hardball Dynasty Baseball | WhatIfSports
4/8/2018 7:14 PM
You got 9 points increase in his splits and could get anywhere from 20-40 more in development. Your problem isn't the bump, your problem is it hit the wrong pitcher.
4/8/2018 8:26 PM
I agree that he was not the best candidate, but based on what I have read, a high makeup should lead to better bumps. He had 83 and that is pretty high. Other players with lower makeup had better initial bumps during our world's DITR. Maybe you're right. Maybe he will be one of the guys that develops 40 points in splits. I am just wondering if there is an explanation why a guy with 83 makeup did not get a single point in stamina and only got a few points in splits and pitches. My advanced scouting is set to 0 so maybe this guys ceiling was really low to begin with and I just didn't know it.
4/9/2018 6:14 PM
http://www.whatifsports.com/hbd/Pages/Popups/PlayerRatings.aspx?pid=8278220

DITR in his first season. Started with splits in the mid 20s and makeup of 90+.

It's just an extra spin on the lottery wheel. If you get an ML player out of it then great. If not, you didn't lose anything.
4/10/2018 8:35 AM
Any other interesting DITR stories from anybody? Or, any other impressive DITR players that you want to share?
5/7/2018 4:00 PM
◂ Prev 123456
Diamonds in the Rough? Topic

Search Criteria

Terms of Use Customer Support Privacy Statement

© 1999-2024 WhatIfSports.com, Inc. All rights reserved. WhatIfSports is a trademark of WhatIfSports.com, Inc. SimLeague, SimMatchup and iSimNow are trademarks or registered trademarks of Electronic Arts, Inc. Used under license. The names of actual companies and products mentioned herein may be the trademarks of their respective owners.