Not sure if anyone else has noticed this, but there appears to be a problem with medical that is similar to the 20m training bug we saw a few seasons ago.  Here is a player that illustrates this problem perfectly:

Alfredo Wilfredo
Wilfredo got hurt very late in season 13, receiving a 300+ day injury.  His owner put him on the DL and he was hurt for the first 150+ days of season 14.  As you can see from the card, entering season 14, Wilfredo had a control of 85, and splits of 65/74.  His stamina was 71 and his dur was 30.  Prior to getting injured his control was 88, and his splits were 67/75, with sta of 72 and dur of 31.  In season 13, Wilfredo had pretty much plateaued, with his splits and control only going up 1 point or so during the season.  He was pretty much done developing as a player.  With 20m in medical, a miracle occurred during season 14, with his control skyrocketing to 95 (7 points above where he was before the injury), his splits went to 70/79, and, most interestingly, his stamina rose from 71 to 76 and durability went from 30 to 35.  Not only did he recover all of the losses he had from the injury, he was a SIGNIFICANTLY better pitcher than before the injury.  In fact, he was developing so much that the owner left him on the DL throughout the season and into rollover, hoping to get an additional boost from this magical medical team.  His stam and durability mysteriously went down during rollover, but they are still much higher than they were before the injury, and he hasn't pitched an inning in over a season and a half.

I have to think this is the same kind of thing we saw with 20m in training, where players were not only maintaining their value but actually improving at times when they shouldn't be.  Has anyone else seen something like this?
7/21/2010 5:15 PM
No, but it's awesome. Owners are going to hope for their players to get hurt.
7/21/2010 6:51 PM
Isn't that just a young guy who continued to improve? Starting in season 13, over two seasons his control went up 7 points, splits went up 3 LH and 4 RH. Over pro years 3 and 4, isn't that actually below what would be expected growth?
7/21/2010 6:58 PM (edited)
Posted by jonas1102 on 7/21/2010 6:58:00 PM (view original):
Isn't that just a young guy who continued to improve? Starting in season 13, over two seasons his control went up 7 points, splits went up 3 LH and 4 RH. Over pro years 3 and 4, isn't that actually below what would be expected growth?
He was only 22 when he was hurt. Kahrtmen, have you seen this in someone who is clearly past their peak (30+)?
7/21/2010 7:25 PM
i have historically had 20M or very close to it in medical...never had a guy come off the DL higher, best I have ever gotten is regaining points lost
7/21/2010 8:32 PM
Posted by zbrent716 on 7/21/2010 7:25:00 PM (view original):
He was only 22 when he was hurt. Kahrtmen, have you seen this in someone who is clearly past their peak (30+)?
I have... but it's usually a 25-man kinda guy who I'll leave on the DL just to avoid having to make a roster decision.
7/21/2010 11:37 PM
Matty_Martinez

Pretty good pitcher before his season 9 shoulder blowout...full year on the DL overlapping seasons and he regained everything he lost plus more in several areas...Con, v L, P2, P4, Durability... He was 26 when the injury happened and hadnt improved much in a number of seasons.  I was very pleased to get him back good as new and a bit better.
7/22/2010 12:04 AM (edited)
He was done improving.  Season 13 was already his 4th pro season, and it's unusual to see significant development after the first 4 seasons.  In fact, I would say I have never seen nonlinear development like this.  Even considering the fact that he is young, this guy came back from his injury significantly better than before he got injured, with ZERO playing time.  It's hard to get better as a player without playing at all.  
7/22/2010 2:02 AM
Martinez is a good example as well.  cdc, did you have 20 in medical while he was rehabbing?  I wonder if this is similar to the training bug where you only see these strange effects at the margins.
7/22/2010 2:03 AM
Posted by zbrent716 on 7/21/2010 7:25:00 PM (view original):
I haven't seen this with a much older player, no.  I hadn't seen anything like it with any player.  To be honest, I rarely see my players get back all of the points they lost due to injury, although I rarely have more than 15 or 16m in medical.  To come back not just better, but significantly better across the board makes no sense at all to me, 22 year old or not.  Essentially, Wilfredo was better off getting hurt than staying healthy and playing all of season 14.  That's crazy.
7/22/2010 2:06 AM
16m in Season 9 when he got hurt and 20m when it rolled over and I put him back on the DL.  I have noticed that anyone that has alright makeup and 20m in medical the recoup all or close to all of their lost ratings, and in Martinez's case even got better as a vet.  Its nice beause then the only loss you have is the time they miss producing for you.  I'm 20m training 20m Medical in every world as soon as I can get it there.
7/22/2010 3:05 AM
Yeah, 20m looks like i has some nonlinear effects.  I think it's fine if a player gets back to where he was with 20m in medical.  It doesn't make much sense for a player to actually get better though, especially in the skill ratings that are supposedly improved with playing time, like control and splits.
7/22/2010 3:29 AM

You'd think that, kahrtmen.... but then you hear stories about Tommy John Surgery, and pitchers coming back stronger and better than ever.  So maybe once in a while it's not a bad thing?

7/22/2010 7:32 AM
This would bode well for Brandon Webb
7/22/2010 8:24 AM
I guess the Cubs should have had 20 in medical when they had Kerry Wood and Mark Prior.
7/22/2010 8:46 AM
1|2|3...11 Next ▸

Search Criteria

Terms of Use Customer Support Privacy Statement

© 1999-2024 WhatIfSports.com, Inc. All rights reserved. WhatIfSports is a trademark of WhatIfSports.com, Inc. SimLeague, SimMatchup and iSimNow are trademarks or registered trademarks of Electronic Arts, Inc. Used under license. The names of actual companies and products mentioned herein may be the trademarks of their respective owners.