Wouldn't have mattered, they still had DFB running the show.
7/22/2010 10:30 AM
Posted by iain on 7/22/2010 7:32:00 AM (view original):

You'd think that, kahrtmen.... but then you hear stories about Tommy John Surgery, and pitchers coming back stronger and better than ever.  So maybe once in a while it's not a bad thing?

Perhaps the arm strength is better, but the command is almost always worse, and there's no reason their stamina and durability would go up dramatically.  
7/22/2010 11:31 AM
Posted by kahrtmen on 7/22/2010 11:31:00 AM (view original):

You'd think that, kahrtmen.... but then you hear stories about Tommy John Surgery, and pitchers coming back stronger and better than ever.  So maybe once in a while it's not a bad thing?

Perhaps the arm strength is better, but the command is almost always worse, and there's no reason their stamina and durability would go up dramatically.  
Not sure how this applies to HBD, but there are definitely reasons that the stamina and durability of a pitcher could improve after a year off. If (in real life) the guy had the proper work ethic and trainer, he could certainly work himself into much better overall shape during that season of not pitching that he would have been otherwise. Again, don't know if this does (or should) translate to HBD, but in real life it could happen.
7/22/2010 12:43 PM
Perhaps, but there is no way the skill ratings (pitches, splits, control) would be better than they were before.  Somehow I doubt that admin intended for it to be possible for a player to get better than he was before getting hurt. 
7/22/2010 12:51 PM
http://www.whatifsports.com/HBD/Pages/Popups/PlayerProfile.aspx?pid=138217,

Banjo Melhuse, age 34 in season 15 when he had a shoulder aneurysm.  Came back at the end of season 16 with a lower health rating but all his pitching splits were markedly better.  He was already a 2 time Cy Young award winner, and perennial all-star.  The only thing I didn't like about it is he belongs to my division rival.
7/23/2010 6:23 AM
Try this again,  Banjo Melhuse
7/23/2010 6:35 AM
That just seems wrong.
7/24/2010 11:31 PM
That is exactly the kind of thing we saw with Wilfredo in my league.  There is something wrong with the system.
7/26/2010 2:40 PM

During long stays on the DL, pitchers typically learn how to cycle steroids and masking agents to raise their ratings. 

7/26/2010 7:01 PM
Posted by kahrtmen on 7/22/2010 11:31:00 AM (view original):

Actually, the newer rehab techniques are making the "less control" aspect of TJ recovery a thing of the past. Josh Johnson's the best current example, but Jordan Zimmermann hasn't walked a batter yet in his rehab and looks like he'll hit the ground running when he gets back.
7/26/2010 7:22 PM
It's easy to pick specific examples.  Zimmerman may have good control, but we'll really never know until he pitches in the bigs again.  It's much easier to avoid walks in the minors.  Look at how Liriano struggled with his control last season.  For every Josh Johnson there are several Lirianos.  My point was not that you can't be good when you come back, but that if you have peaked already as a player, there is no way you would have significantly better control, pitches, and splits after a massive year-long injury.  I can almost guarantee you that admin did not intend to have pitchers benefitting from having an injury.  The two players mentioned in this thread were helped enormously by getting hurt - that should never happen.
7/27/2010 2:18 AM
Here was the response from Admin:
------------
This appears to be a bug that will require some time to resolve.  We appreciate you pointing this out to us and we apologize for not getting back with you.  We have to dig into it, but it's definitely an issue.
------------
Looks like 20 in medical is the way to go until they fix it.

8/4/2010 10:58 AM
Well I just lost my #2SP to a shoulder aneurysm.  Ive lost him for 359 days, he has lost 6 rating pts on all of his important ratings, and 18! on his medical!  I sure hope that this guy gets the magical medical team!  though I only have 18 for medical, so it might not eh.  :(  Seriously sucky thing is my team was looking to be a top contender for the WS, now with this injury its sure going to make it harder to do, not without some sort of awesome trade anyways.
10/14/2010 10:19 AM
What about the 20 mil training bug khartmen mentioned in the first post of this thread?  What is that about?
10/14/2010 9:58 PM
Posted by a_ersberg on 10/14/2010 9:58:00 PM (view original):
What about the 20 mil training bug khartmen mentioned in the first post of this thread?  What is that about?
this was where some old veteran players starting having increases to their "stregth" ratings (stamina, velocity, etc) late in their career...this was corrected a while ago
10/15/2010 11:07 AM
◂ Prev 1|2|3|4...11 Next ▸

Search Criteria

Terms of Use Customer Support Privacy Statement

© 1999-2024 WhatIfSports.com, Inc. All rights reserved. WhatIfSports is a trademark of WhatIfSports.com, Inc. SimLeague, SimMatchup and iSimNow are trademarks or registered trademarks of Electronic Arts, Inc. Used under license. The names of actual companies and products mentioned herein may be the trademarks of their respective owners.