"how many coaches do you guys have with multiple championships? at our prime"

You know, that's an interesting question because of alts.

I know the North Division alone has 25 championships among 5 coaches (including the alts I know), all with multiples.  But I would have to guess there are a couple more out there that I don't know.

The South has 3 spread out among 3 coaches, but I don't know any of their alts.  And we also had anadeau/acn for the vast majority of the run, and he had 12 between those two alts.
11/1/2012 9:07 AM
Posted by isack24 on 9/12/2012 11:22:00 AM (view original):
Allen - Season 58\

D1: ACC - .6491

D2: Gulf South - .6102

D3: NAC - .6265
NAC .6265 season #58, never got added to the list as far as I can see.
It would have been the bottom at #10 and knocked Upstate - Wooden season #51 off.
However the NAC .6345 season #59 that finished last night should be good for 5th and knock off the NAC 10th place
11/1/2012 9:48 AM
I don't think it's been updated in awhile.  None of those made it on the list.  I think corn keeps track on a spreadsheet, but doesn't update here very often.
11/1/2012 9:51 AM
Coachbillyg, I think the 1 a day factor actually strengthens the argument that GSC is stronger. GSC now owns 6 of the top 10 D2 rpi, along with the highest D2 rpi, while doing so with fewer seasons played.

Having said that, two TREMENDOUS coaches (ahem..cough cough) just joined GLV, so the gap between the 2 confs should narrow by quite a bit. 
11/1/2012 3:34 PM
Posted by tianyi7886 on 11/1/2012 3:35:00 PM (view original):
Coachbillyg, I think the 1 a day factor actually strengthens the argument that GSC is stronger. GSC now owns 6 of the top 10 D2 rpi, along with the highest D2 rpi, while doing so with fewer seasons played.

Having said that, two TREMENDOUS coaches (ahem..cough cough) just joined GLV, so the gap between the 2 confs should narrow by quite a bit. 
i can appreciate that argument. but isnt it 5 of 10?

the one thing we have going for us is we have more than 10 spots on the list that have already been bumped off... and would have more if the list started sooner. hence my long term argument. i would be curious how many total championships you've got, that might be our one saving grace - although, again, probably not in the last 10 seasons. my team is *finally* not horrible again, so, that will probably help close the gap, too. our conference strength seems to pretty closely correlate to my engagement in the game, which has been going up, so im hopeful for our future! maybe we can get you in the next 10.
11/1/2012 6:39 PM
It's missing season 58 @.6102 and this season @.6259, pushing the top 10 record to 6/10. I'm also pretty sure that GLV has more NCs than GSC, considering the GSC didn't win any NC between seasons 24 and 53.
11/1/2012 6:47 PM
You want some crazy stats?  

The Gulf South North over the past 10 seasons:
  • 50 NT bids.  That's 83% of GS North teams made the NT over the past 10 seasons - I would think that has to a record for a division over a 10-year period.  Has to be close, anyway.
  • 29 times teams have reached at least the S16.  
  • 18 to at least the E8.
  • 9 to at least the F4.
  • 4 to the championship game.
  • 3 NC wins.
That's just one DIVISION.

11/1/2012 7:34 PM
im pretty sure we could beat that stat line, except the NT bids part, when the GLV west was dominant. but its not really fair - in my top 10 seasons, ive got about twice the titles, a few more title games, maybe 1 or possibly 2 less final fours, and 10 elite 8s. so i would need my division mates to chip in like 1 f4, 8 e8s and 19 s16s, and 40 NT bids to be at least even on every single line, with a significant advantage on the last 2. i really doubt we have the NT bids but ill have to check and see where we stack up.

i was reading a forum thread about NT winning % a bit ago, and randomly checked to see how i was doing in tark... obviously my WP and NT WP have tanked considerably over the last couple years when i wasnt really doing anything. but still, i was surprised to see - my NT % was actually higher than in the regular season... im not sure ive seen that before, over a long period, like 4 years. now, i dont think that really says much about me, but i do think it says a lot about how tough my regular season is - harder than generally deep runs through the NT (which means a lot more than just being better than the NT field, on average, because randomly selecting teams, you'd get like half in the bottom half, half in the top half - but in a run of 4 games, which was my avg (3.8), you play 1 team in the bottom half, 1 in the next quarter, and basically 2 in the top quarter - so that is fairly significantly skewed). i just thought that was a cool stat ,considering d2 tark is competitive and that is over a LONG period of time, for the GLV to be that tough for that long, is pretty neat.
11/3/2012 6:11 PM
Billy your run of success in D2 is something no one in the Gulf Coast can match.

But overall the rest of the conference, outside the top 2-3 teams, was mostly mediocre during that run.  While you were winning 6 NT games a season it was rare when the rest of the conference could match your 6 NT wins. 
Season 45 was the first time the GLV ever won 15 NT games on the back of only 3 teams winning a NT game.
Season 49 the GLV won 16 NT games with a St. Joseph championship and 3 other Elite 8 teams.
Season 59 the GLV improved to 19 NT games and later matched that with 19 more wins in season 68 (with 10 NT teams).

But overall the recent Gulf South stretch shows a greater depth of quality teams than the GLV has ever put together.
The past three seasons the Gulf South has 21, 24 and 23 NT wins.

Now it's on to Gulf South recruiting with eight A prestige programs within 180 miles of each other.
11/3/2012 8:10 PM
i definitely agree iguana, we had 3 top 10 programs in tark for a long, long time, but the bottom half of our conference really was weak in those days, at least for a conference among the best in the game. today, we are deeper, but lack the dominance at the high end. we've never really put both together, like you guys have - although i am really hopeful, now that i am at least half playing my own team, that i can help change that. to be honest, i am glad you guys are beating us right now, because for a long time, the GLV was clearly #1, and its tough to keep pushing to be better in that situation.
11/4/2012 12:51 AM
this is kinda funny. i looked at billy's d2 success at siue and he won 9 in 20 seasons from season 25-45 (i assume this is his best 20 year window, although i looked only briefly but it's bracketed by titles [actually, his first to his last at siue i believe]). trying to compare it to my best window at swb which starts the exact following year when i win it in season 46, and then from season 46-66 i make 9 championship game appearances and win it only 6 times (a few other F4s for both of us, im sure, but i didn't count it very closely). 

11/4/2012 3:45 AM
Posted by aejones on 11/4/2012 3:45:00 AM (view original):
this is kinda funny. i looked at billy's d2 success at siue and he won 9 in 20 seasons from season 25-45 (i assume this is his best 20 year window, although i looked only briefly but it's bracketed by titles [actually, his first to his last at siue i believe]). trying to compare it to my best window at swb which starts the exact following year when i win it in season 46, and then from season 46-66 i make 9 championship game appearances and win it only 6 times (a few other F4s for both of us, im sure, but i didn't count it very closely). 

It is kind of interesting how DII Tark has had those dominant teams over a period of seasons - your run at SWB, Billy's run at SIUE and of course Rails' run @ West Chester from Seasons 8-19, with 9 NTs.  Those three schools have won 26 NTs in 73 Tark Seasons, over 1/3 of all available.
11/5/2012 9:23 AM
Posted by coach_billyg on 11/3/2012 6:13:00 PM (view original):
im pretty sure we could beat that stat line, except the NT bids part, when the GLV west was dominant. but its not really fair - in my top 10 seasons, ive got about twice the titles, a few more title games, maybe 1 or possibly 2 less final fours, and 10 elite 8s. so i would need my division mates to chip in like 1 f4, 8 e8s and 19 s16s, and 40 NT bids to be at least even on every single line, with a significant advantage on the last 2. i really doubt we have the NT bids but ill have to check and see where we stack up.

i was reading a forum thread about NT winning % a bit ago, and randomly checked to see how i was doing in tark... obviously my WP and NT WP have tanked considerably over the last couple years when i wasnt really doing anything. but still, i was surprised to see - my NT % was actually higher than in the regular season... im not sure ive seen that before, over a long period, like 4 years. now, i dont think that really says much about me, but i do think it says a lot about how tough my regular season is - harder than generally deep runs through the NT (which means a lot more than just being better than the NT field, on average, because randomly selecting teams, you'd get like half in the bottom half, half in the top half - but in a run of 4 games, which was my avg (3.8), you play 1 team in the bottom half, 1 in the next quarter, and basically 2 in the top quarter - so that is fairly significantly skewed). i just thought that was a cool stat ,considering d2 tark is competitive and that is over a LONG period of time, for the GLV to be that tough for that long, is pretty neat.
Yeah, I thought the S16 and overall bids for the division were th most impressive.  As you noted, it only takes one or two dominant teams to match the other numbers.

But it is pretty crazy to me that for every team in the Gulf South North over the past ten seasons, half made the Sweet Sixteen.  And in the other division, it's about the same if you exclude two teams.  So between ten teams (100 total chances over 10 seasons), 45 have made the S16.  May not be a record, but it sure has to be close.
11/5/2012 9:55 AM
yeah, you guys have done REALLY well - that is a crazy NT rate and s16 rate, we've never had those. and you have that great cast of coaches, definitely a really tough conference, and i sadly i have to concede, you guys are the best lately. IMO, the GLV is really not at the top of its game right now - probably sending more teams to the NT than we did in the past, but before the seeding changes, it was way harder to have a bunch of NT teams with a bunch of high seeded teams in the conf, and the NT goers who weren't 1/2 seeds really got shafted. you could be 16 rpi with 8 losses, and today pull a 4-5 seed, but then you'd grab an 8. it was pretty consistent that all our 4-8 seeds all dropped a good 3-5 seeds from where you would think, and from where they would be with the new seeding logic. our 8-13 seeds would win a dramatically higher % of NT games than they should on average, but it definitely makes things a lot harder, having to play significantly harder opponents than you should in the first 2 rounds, over and over. we've had at least a half dozen 8+ seeds reach the final four since ive been there, but you can only beat the odds so often! those conference maybe werent quite as good at the bottom, but it was also definitely a harder play through conference (some of the teams ive had win like 13 games would have won more like 11 at our peak).
11/5/2012 3:07 PM (edited)
Definitely true.  The new seeding logic has undoubtedly helped us.
11/5/2012 3:42 PM
◂ Prev 1...21|22|23|24|25...34 Next ▸

Search Criteria

Terms of Use Customer Support Privacy Statement

© 1999-2024 WhatIfSports.com, Inc. All rights reserved. WhatIfSports is a trademark of WhatIfSports.com, Inc. SimLeague, SimMatchup and iSimNow are trademarks or registered trademarks of Electronic Arts, Inc. Used under license. The names of actual companies and products mentioned herein may be the trademarks of their respective owners.