Trading away a Rule 5 player? Topic

Possibly a stupid question :) but if I want to trade away a rule 5 player is there any roadblocks to that or can it be done like a normal trade as long as the team I'm trading him to keeps him on the 25 man roster?

8/5/2010 6:25 PM
No roadblocks.  And, once he's on the other team, it's not your problem.
8/5/2010 6:27 PM
So I am receiving a couple of Rule 5 guys in a deal and the draft is tomorrow, do I have to make sure they are on the 40 today, or is there a "grace period while they are unassigned?  I'm afraid the deal will get approved tonight and I might not get them assigned before the freeze?
10/25/2010 1:02 PM
Posted by MikeT23 on 8/5/2010 6:27:00 PM (view original):
No roadblocks.  And, once he's on the other team, it's not your problem.
Not true. There is at least one significant potential roadblock, depending on when you want to trade a player selected in the Rule 5 draft.

If you are pre-transaction deadline, then no roadblock. 

If you are post-transaction deadline, you cannot place a player on revocable waivers and if you place him on regular waivers, it begins the offer-back process. The net effect is that Rule 5 players are effectively untradeable after the transaction deadline.
10/25/2010 6:56 PM
So you decide to argue with me instead of answer the fresh question?  WOW!   Read the OP's question.   You can't trade a player after the transaction deadline if he hasn't cleared waivers.   That has nothing to do with his question.  Quit creating scenarios to argue a post from 80 days ago.  Makes you look like a jerk.

To answer the new question, the one zbrent ignored in order to create an argument, yes, there is a grace period.  I think it's any player signed/traded within 24 hours of the R5 draft.  It's a loophole that should be closed.
10/25/2010 7:20 PM
Posted by MikeT23 on 10/25/2010 7:21:00 PM (view original):
So you decide to argue with me instead of answer the fresh question?  WOW!   Read the OP's question.   You can't trade a player after the transaction deadline if he hasn't cleared waivers.   That has nothing to do with his question.  Quit creating scenarios to argue a post from 80 days ago.  Makes you look like a jerk.

To answer the new question, the one zbrent ignored in order to create an argument, yes, there is a grace period.  I think it's any player signed/traded within 24 hours of the R5 draft.  It's a loophole that should be closed.
Whoa.

I have no idea what post from 80 days ago you're referring to, but my post wasn't an intentional reference to anything prior.

And the point is that - with a Rule 5 player - there is no way to trade him after the deadline, because if you waive him outright, it offers him back, and you cannot put him on revocable waivers.
10/25/2010 7:26 PM
You posted in this goddam thread.  You quoted a post of mine from 8/5/10.  What part of this doesn't say "80 days ago" and the fact that you ignored the new question?
10/25/2010 7:32 PM
Didn't even see the date of the post that I quoted. Thread got bumped up and I must have missed it the first time through. Been a long day? You seem even more testy than usual.
10/25/2010 7:35 PM
No, my point is you ignore the question and go after a correct answer 80 days after the fact.   You're creating an argument when none is necessary.   You can't trade a player after the deadline if he hasn't cleared waivers.    He qualified his question with "can it be done like a normal trade".   Which, for a "normal trade", players would have to clear waivers after the deadline.   Then, in your rush to post an unnecessary disagreement, you ignore the new question.   In other words, you took the jerk road.  Congrats, happy traveling.
10/25/2010 7:39 PM
Posted by MikeT23 on 10/25/2010 7:39:00 PM (view original):
No, my point is you ignore the question and go after a correct answer 80 days after the fact.   You're creating an argument when none is necessary.   You can't trade a player after the deadline if he hasn't cleared waivers.    He qualified his question with "can it be done like a normal trade".   Which, for a "normal trade", players would have to clear waivers after the deadline.   Then, in your rush to post an unnecessary disagreement, you ignore the new question.   In other words, you took the jerk road.  Congrats, happy traveling.
And it is not possible for a Rule 5 player to clear waivers after the trade deadline.

Believe it or not, it's not always about you and you being proven wrong. I was just trying to provide accurate and complete information here, which saying "no roadblocks" fails to do.
10/25/2010 7:41 PM
If you weren't answering a post from 80 days ago, you'd know that he wasn't attempting to trade after the deadline.  You'd know his world wasn't anywhere near the deadline.   Again, starting an argument over a factually correct(at the time) response makes you appear to be a jerk.   Doesn't matter who posted the response.  Your 80 day old contradiction makes you appear jerk-like.  Congrats.
10/25/2010 7:44 PM
Wow. Looks like Mikey came lookin' for a fight. 80 days ago? I can't remember what I had for dinner last night.
10/26/2010 10:35 AM
There are a few users who like to contradict a correct answer by adding a tiny detail that has nothing to do with the OP's question.   The fact that it was 80 days ago, and he ignored the new question, annoyed me at the moment.  Plus I had a few minutes as I was waiting for the PM2 results.
10/26/2010 10:43 AM
Leave Mike alone. It's that time of month again.
10/26/2010 11:46 AM
Shouldn't you be busy getting kicked out of a world you commish for failing to live up to it's standards?
10/26/2010 12:32 PM
12 Next ▸
Trading away a Rule 5 player? Topic

Search Criteria

Terms of Use Customer Support Privacy Statement

© 1999-2024 WhatIfSports.com, Inc. All rights reserved. WhatIfSports is a trademark of WhatIfSports.com, Inc. SimLeague, SimMatchup and iSimNow are trademarks or registered trademarks of Electronic Arts, Inc. Used under license. The names of actual companies and products mentioned herein may be the trademarks of their respective owners.