Default Budget Settings Topic

>> Removing the transfer penalty removes strategy from the budgeting portion of the game. <<

Seems to indicate to me you don't understand, don't want to understand, or you don't have the capacity.

The points I'm making, not to you, to someone who might choose to do something with the idea, are -

- maximizing the strategy of the aspect of the game that is largely guessing reduces the amount of strategy in the overall game.

- the current budgeting system is a barrier to people playing the game. It favors the few (such as yourself) and penalizes the majority (who don't have the time and game-specific knowledge you have.)

- HBD is supposed to be am MLB simulation. Transferring money from cash budgets does not result in the loss of half of that money. In MLB or anywhere else.

Since you seem to think my options are formed by a stick up my ***, here's what you've told me about you -

You like the game the way it is. Budgeting works for you. Giving you an advantage over newer players and those who can't play an internet game 365 days a year. And that makes you feel good about yourself. So you don't want to give that up, or even risk it.  A little sad, maybe, but I understand.

I prefer chess and poker. My guess is you prefer Chutes & Ladders. All good games.  Just not the same.

Or maybe you playing chess or poker against 7 year olds or blind people would be a better analogy.  Or maybe it's against people who don't know the rules. Scenarios that give you an advantage you can tell yourself is your superior strategy. I'd call it something else. We'd probably never agree.
2/18/2013 8:09 PM

Jeez.  This discussion has been had before.

Requiring owners to make decisions with less info requires more thought.   More thought might indicate more strategy. 

That said, I used to be on that side of the fence.   I'm not now.   While a "Money pool" for players, prospects and coaches would require LESS strategy, I think it would make for a better game.    As long as there are floors in each category to protect dumbasses from themselves.

2/18/2013 8:19 PM

And before some dumbass says "No, a money pool would create more strategy!!", it doesn't.

As it stands now, I plan my teams three seasons in advance.  That includes budgeting.   Making people plan ahead, several seasons ahead, for budgeting changes requires more strategy.

2/18/2013 8:36 PM
Posted by tufft on 2/18/2013 8:09:00 PM (view original):
>> Removing the transfer penalty removes strategy from the budgeting portion of the game. <<

Seems to indicate to me you don't understand, don't want to understand, or you don't have the capacity.

The points I'm making, not to you, to someone who might choose to do something with the idea, are -

- maximizing the strategy of the aspect of the game that is largely guessing reduces the amount of strategy in the overall game.

- the current budgeting system is a barrier to people playing the game. It favors the few (such as yourself) and penalizes the majority (who don't have the time and game-specific knowledge you have.)

- HBD is supposed to be am MLB simulation. Transferring money from cash budgets does not result in the loss of half of that money. In MLB or anywhere else.

Since you seem to think my options are formed by a stick up my ***, here's what you've told me about you -

You like the game the way it is. Budgeting works for you. Giving you an advantage over newer players and those who can't play an internet game 365 days a year. And that makes you feel good about yourself. So you don't want to give that up, or even risk it.  A little sad, maybe, but I understand.

I prefer chess and poker. My guess is you prefer Chutes & Ladders. All good games.  Just not the same.

Or maybe you playing chess or poker against 7 year olds or blind people would be a better analogy.  Or maybe it's against people who don't know the rules. Scenarios that give you an advantage you can tell yourself is your superior strategy. I'd call it something else. We'd probably never agree.
Thanks again, Dr. Phil.  I wasn't aware that I was all about me until you pointed it out just now.

Again, if you don't agree with me, that's fine.  It doesn't necessarily make you right.  That's a bit narcissistic to think it does.

I'm hoping my insurance covers the cost of the psychological services that you've provided to me.  If not, bill me.
2/18/2013 8:54 PM
FWIW, I wasn't trying to rehash this portion of the debate - I have no problem with the transfer penalty.

My issue was mainly what could be done about the default settings in an owner's first season with a team/world.
2/19/2013 12:07 AM
I think the most reasonable change to be made is, as mentioned earlier, to allow a new owner to choose to either use the previous owner's settings or tens across the board when taking over a franchise.
2/19/2013 7:15 AM
....  And other than that, I like it fine.  We don't need to overhaul the whole system.
2/19/2013 7:17 AM
◂ Prev 12345
Default Budget Settings Topic

Search Criteria

Terms of Use Customer Support Privacy Statement

© 1999-2024 WhatIfSports.com, Inc. All rights reserved. WhatIfSports is a trademark of WhatIfSports.com, Inc. SimLeague, SimMatchup and iSimNow are trademarks or registered trademarks of Electronic Arts, Inc. Used under license. The names of actual companies and products mentioned herein may be the trademarks of their respective owners.