Lowly Mid-Major takes over Camp World. Again. Topic

Throughout this thread, whenever a point is made that you can't respond to (ie. Marshall getting a fluke win to you means more than mounds of data) you just spout off some random attack.

When you go undefeated this season, you will be playing a different tune at the end.  You will say you deserve it because going through such a POWER conference is all that matters and other fabricated garbage.
9/24/2010 3:33 PM
Respond to what?  I'm the one that keeps pointing out Marshall beat FSU.  I'm done.  Good luck this season!
9/24/2010 3:51 PM
Posted by tcochran on 9/24/2010 3:33:00 PM (view original):
Throughout this thread, whenever a point is made that you can't respond to (ie. Marshall getting a fluke win to you means more than mounds of data) you just spout off some random attack.

When you go undefeated this season, you will be playing a different tune at the end.  You will say you deserve it because going through such a POWER conference is all that matters and other fabricated garbage.
I actually thought ebel's second paragraph in that post was more important -- that the "traditional" effectiveness of non-BCS teams (and elites) are a direct function of the coaches there and not their advantages or disadvantages. That point alone is what disproves the "mounds" of data.
9/24/2010 3:57 PM
Posted by ebel331 on 9/24/2010 10:11:00 AM (view original):
Of course there's a difference between playing an 0-13 team and a 5-8 team.  Especially when the 5-8 team has a human coach playing most games against other human coaches while the 0-13 is a simai. 

That's how 1-12 Marshall beats FSU while a simai team couldn't do that in a million simulations.  FSU was a huge individual favorite over each of the 3 CUSA teams it played last season, but a smaller favorite to get through all 3 of them, which it didn't do.  And it's that much tougher to get through a conference schedule of 8 human teams.  Or 14. 

Just like the arguments you used to make about how unfair the elite system was, you completely ignore the coaching aspect.  It doesn't matter what the general success rate of midmajors v. BCS or top20 or whatever because generally those midmajors are not coached by users who have thousands of GD wins, multiple IA titles or dropped down from Elites to coach them. 

How many times have you lost to a 5 win team when you have had a top 10 quality team?
9/24/2010 6:24 PM
Posted by buckeye_jg on 9/24/2010 3:29:00 PM (view original):
BCS BUSTER ALERT IN STAGG!!!

Kent St. 9-0 with a #2 WIS ranking.
Nice, highest ranked team he has beat has been #29 Wisconsin.

3 of his last 4 games is sims so we will see if he can keep that ranking.

Kent St  has one of those avoid all the good teams schedule and skate into the championship game by beating cupcakes.

9/24/2010 6:32 PM (edited)
Posted by plague on 9/24/2010 6:32:00 PM (view original):

Kent St  has one of those avoid all the good teams schedule and skate into the championship game by beating cupcakes.

He'll need a lot of help.  Nobody can survive the hit from four 100+ WIS teams like that.
9/24/2010 6:39 PM
Posted by tcochran on 9/24/2010 6:39:00 PM (view original):
Posted by plague on 9/24/2010 6:32:00 PM (view original):

He'll need a lot of help.  Nobody can survive the hit from four 100+ WIS teams like that.
Kent St could slip in because no one else really deserves it. Louisville and maybe Ohio St are the only 2 other teams that could slip in, and possibly even a 2 loss Florida St team. If Florida St finishes with 2 losses they will have played 8 top 20 teams. Ohio St has had a easy schedule so far, but in the next 4 games they play the #1 and #6 ranked teams, if they can win those 2 games and remain undefeated that should probably be enough to push them over the top.
9/24/2010 7:29 PM
The worst one I can remember was a few seasons ago in leahy. All the top teams had a loss or two and some undefeated midmajor made title game against FSU. I think Arfy beat em by like 60 or something it was over before it started
9/24/2010 8:06 PM
I was in the other seat as well.  Season 48 in Rockne.  I was at Memphis and got blown out by Plague at Notre Dame. 
9/24/2010 8:13 PM
I am not saying all Non BCS teams do not deserve to be in the championship game, I do  feel that you should have to play at least 2 championship quality teams during the regular season, and that includes BCS teams and non BCS teams. If you look at my real life examples and Boise St, Utah, and Hawaii had multiple 1 loss teams ranked ahead of them when they went undefeated and we all know that is because they lacked a strong regular season schedule. There is exceptions to every rule, if no one  deserves to be in the championship game2 teams have to make the game.........I have played some level 4 and 5 bowl games against Non BCS teams and I have blown most of them out, but occasionally some play me close, and once upon a time long ago I lost to one of the Non BCS teams in a level 4 bowl game.
9/24/2010 8:26 PM
Posted by Arfy on 9/24/2010 8:13:00 PM (view original):
I was in the other seat as well.  Season 48 in Rockne.  I was at Memphis and got blown out by Plague at Notre Dame. 
Two days ago in Stagg.  I was at USC and got blown out by Plague at Cal.
9/24/2010 8:29 PM
Posted by plague on 9/24/2010 8:27:00 PM (view original):
I am not saying all Non BCS teams do not deserve to be in the championship game, I do  feel that you should have to play at least 2 championship quality teams during the regular season, and that includes BCS teams and non BCS teams. If you look at my real life examples and Boise St, Utah, and Hawaii had multiple 1 loss teams ranked ahead of them when they went undefeated and we all know that is because they lacked a strong regular season schedule. There is exceptions to every rule, if no one  deserves to be in the championship game2 teams have to make the game.........I have played some level 4 and 5 bowl games against Non BCS teams and I have blown most of them out, but occasionally some play me close, and once upon a time long ago I lost to one of the Non BCS teams in a level 4 bowl game.
Once upon a time 4 seasons ago in Stagg I beat you in the Sugar Bowl with Army. 
9/24/2010 8:31 PM
Posted by ebel331 on 9/24/2010 8:32:00 PM (view original):
Posted by plague on 9/24/2010 8:27:00 PM (view original):
Once upon a time 4 seasons ago in Stagg I beat you in the Sugar Bowl with Army. 
I might of loss a couple to non BCS then because I don't remember that loss. I am not saying it did not happen because in my life I have lost a lot of bowl games. I just know I lost one long ago because it was the first time I had ever lost to a Non BCS team, and as the saying goes you always remember your first.....I am Off to work good luck,
9/24/2010 8:37 PM
Posted by tcochran on 9/24/2010 3:33:00 PM (view original):

Not that my argument needed any more factual data, but that has to be the weakest schedule to ever be in the NC, right?  Somehow the engine considers UCF to have the 13th SOS and UAB the 9th ranked.  And neither of them played anybody good with the exception of UAB playing UCF twice.  UAB's only good win is vs. #25 UNC by 2 points.  The rest is trash.  Lost to every good team he played (which was 3 teams).

It's pretty obvious the two title teams should be Florida and Penn State.
10/15/2010 4:35 PM
And I hope Ebel wins.  Would be an amazing feat.  I don't deserve it bc I lost.  If I beat Ohio State, maybe a different story.

That said, I think there is a clear flaw with the SOS rankings.  There should be more emphasis on wins over top teams.  That's all.  I haven't seen a good argument against that.
10/15/2010 5:37 PM
◂ Prev 1...16|17|18|19 Next ▸
Lowly Mid-Major takes over Camp World. Again. Topic

Search Criteria

Terms of Use Customer Support Privacy Statement

© 1999-2024 WhatIfSports.com, Inc. All rights reserved. WhatIfSports is a trademark of WhatIfSports.com, Inc. SimLeague, SimMatchup and iSimNow are trademarks or registered trademarks of Electronic Arts, Inc. Used under license. The names of actual companies and products mentioned herein may be the trademarks of their respective owners.