Lowly Mid-Major takes over Camp World. Again. Topic

Congrats Ebel.

I agree with Nelson on the Mid Majors getting too much value in SOS. I (Syracuse) played Tulsa this season on the road and beat them by 21 points, and in my opinion my team was not a Championship quality team. Central Florida played Tulsa at home and beat them by 3 points. It's a major advantage when you play Non BCS teams for 8 conference games if they are human coached. During the regular season Central Florida played 2 teams that would be considered championship quality teams and went 1-1 against them. I think in general one of the flaws in WIS that beating mediocre teams gets too much value.

I think one of the things in Central Florida defense is that in my opinion no other team besides his really stepped up and deserved to be there. Alabama and USC had a very easy schedule, he played a couple of top teams but he only had a few humans on his conference schedule. I think in this situation no team really deserved to be in the NC game over Central Florida, but in general I think the system is flawed in giving more credit in SOS to mediocre teams than they deserve.

There is a reason why most BCS coaches love to schedule winning NON BCS teams on their schedule. Its usually(Not always) easy wins with high value towards winning the NC game.

8/11/2010 8:19 PM (edited)
I look at it closer I could argue Michigan. They played 7 games against top 15 teams and only lost 1 more game than Central Florida. I think it's debatable. Some credit needs to be given to level of competition played.
8/11/2010 8:24 PM

Wow you outscored Tulsa by more than me, way to pick one tiny fraction of the equation out.  How bout... I beat Nebraska who in turn beat Michigan and LSU who both beat you. 

We already went over this when I just got the USC job in Stagg from Army.  People complained I had it easy cause my mid-major conference had too many simai, and now my UCF team has it easy cause conference doesn't have any simai?!  Who knew that non-BCS schools had such an advantage in this game!  Where's all those 20 page threads where everyone told me I was crazy when I told them that Elite advantage was hugely overblown.  Now it's unfair mid-major advantage???

The WIS rank has flaws but lets not turn that into UCF not deserving to be in these title games.  Think I'm 10-3 (maybe 11-3?) vs Elites since I've been there. 

8/11/2010 8:29 PM
Personally I think Bama should have been in over Tennessee.  Usually I like the Press/Coaches ranks as most accurate but they surprisingly had Bama ranked 5/5 after CC games while WIS had them at 3. 
8/11/2010 8:30 PM
Alabama got screwed, so it's a split title.

Great accomplishment, but I have to laugh at the others in CUSA that overly celebrate his achievements because they are basically pawns for Ebel's SOS.

The way Ebel has set up the conference psychology that it's super competitive, best of the best coaches, David vs Goliath to get others really invested is probably the most brilliant thing I've seen in this game.  In my opinion, Ebel is the best coach in the game right now.  Whether you want to say interest from other older coaches has waned or whatever is fine, but I find it difficult to argue with back to back NCs and the strategy used to get to the title games.
8/11/2010 10:21 PM (edited)
This post has a rating of , which is below the default threshold.
Posted by tcochran on 8/11/2010 10:21:00 PM (view original):

Great accomplishment, but I have to laugh at the others in CUSA that overly celebrate his achievements because they are basically pawns for Ebel's SOS.

The way Ebel has set up the conference psychology that it's super competitive, best of the best coaches, David vs Goliath to get others really invested is probably the most brilliant thing I've seen in this game.  In my opinion, Ebel is the best coach in the game right now.  Whether you want to say interest from other older coaches has waned or whatever is fine, but I find it difficult to argue with back to back NCs and the strategy used to get to the title games.
Ebel
Buffalo_rob
vhoward
arfy
evancanan
rsannation
kcden

All of them have NCs, clearly pawns in Ebel's big game to take over WIS. I would join if it didn't take me 9 seasons or however long to get there.
8/11/2010 10:55 PM
Posted by plague on 8/11/2010 8:19:00 PM (view original):
Congrats Ebel.

I agree with Nelson on the Mid Majors getting too much value in SOS. I (Syracuse) played Tulsa this season on the road and beat them by 21 points, and in my opinion my team was not a Championship quality team. Central Florida played Tulsa at home and beat them by 3 points. It's a major advantage when you play Non BCS teams for 8 conference games if they are human coached. During the regular season Central Florida played 2 teams that would be considered championship quality teams and went 1-1 against them. I think in general one of the flaws in WIS that beating mediocre teams gets too much value.

I think one of the things in Central Florida defense is that in my opinion no other team besides his really stepped up and deserved to be there. Alabama and USC had a very easy schedule, he played a couple of top teams but he only had a few humans on his conference schedule. I think in this situation no team really deserved to be in the NC game over Central Florida, but in general I think the system is flawed in giving more credit in SOS to mediocre teams than they deserve.

There is a reason why most BCS coaches love to schedule winning NON BCS teams on their schedule. Its usually(Not always) easy wins with high value towards winning the NC game.

USC didn't deserve to be there, and I am in the process of quitting. That said, we still have a better record over the last two years than the two-time defending champion.

Hooray for underscheduling!

That said. We can settle this on the field nonconference next season. Congrats mike.
8/11/2010 11:16 PM
OT: Damn dublin, I gotta say, I admire you guys' dedication to run 10-13 teams. I am spending almost every day recruiting with just 7.
8/11/2010 11:25 PM
Posted by z32fanatic on 8/11/2010 10:55:00 PM (view original):

Ebel
Buffalo_rob
vhoward
arfy
evancanan
rsannation
kcden

All of them have NCs, clearly pawns in Ebel's big game to take over WIS. I would join if it didn't take me 9 seasons or however long to get there.
Well, to be fair, Arfy is actually a pawn! LOL
8/11/2010 11:55 PM
Posted by dublinuf on 8/11/2010 11:16:00 PM (view original):
Posted by plague on 8/11/2010 8:19:00 PM (view original):
Congrats Ebel.

USC didn't deserve to be there, and I am in the process of quitting. That said, we still have a better record over the last two years than the two-time defending champion.

Hooray for underscheduling!

That said. We can settle this on the field nonconference next season. Congrats mike.
UCF already knocked off USC in Fiesta Bowl, but yah you have a shot to even it up next season.

PAC-10 vs Power CUSA WOOOOOOO!

8/11/2010 11:58 PM
Is there a way to partially quote a post instead of the entire thing?
8/12/2010 12:00 AM
Posted by ebel331 on 8/11/2010 11:55:00 PM (view original):
Posted by z32fanatic on 8/11/2010 10:55:00 PM (view original):

Ebel
Buffalo_rob
vhoward
arfy
evancanan
rsannation
kcden

Well, to be fair, Arfy is actually a pawn! LOL
You're a **** gobbler...you know that, right?  lol
8/12/2010 1:11 AM
He lured me away from South Florida so I wouldn't screw up his recruiting.  lol
8/12/2010 1:12 AM
And what did he offer me?  The wonderful opportunity to take a crap team like Tulsa.

61 Arfy 9-5 6-2 5-3 4-1 23

60 Arfy 9-5 3-5 0-3 8-2 41

59 Arfy 7-7 4-4 3-3 4-3 51

58 Arfy 4-9 0-8 0-4 4-5 92      
57 Arfy 2-11 0-8 2-7 0-4 105      
56 Sim AI 1-12 1-7 0-5 1-7 88      
55 Sim AI 2-11 2-6 2-4 0-7 93      
54 Sim AI 1-12 1-7 1-5 0-7 95
8/12/2010 1:13 AM
◂ Prev 1|2|3|4...19 Next ▸
Lowly Mid-Major takes over Camp World. Again. Topic

Search Criteria

Terms of Use Customer Support Privacy Statement

© 1999-2024 WhatIfSports.com, Inc. All rights reserved. WhatIfSports is a trademark of WhatIfSports.com, Inc. SimLeague, SimMatchup and iSimNow are trademarks or registered trademarks of Electronic Arts, Inc. Used under license. The names of actual companies and products mentioned herein may be the trademarks of their respective owners.