Lowly Mid-Major takes over Camp World. Again. Topic

Posted by mach5 on 8/11/2010 6:17:00 PM (view original):
Posted by jtwhiz on 8/11/2010 5:00:00 PM (view original):
I was planning on trying to build up UNH in Dobie but my stupidity in forgetting to recruit a P or K has me losing to sims. I'm moving to the Big MAC next season. Who's with me? There are three teams open.
On my way.  I'm in DII right now though, and probably need another season after this one just to get to an average DI-AA school.

And then a couple of seasons there.  So it might be a while.

If I'm good enough.

I was in DII one year and went 11-3 with a 1st Rd playoff exit, came back the next year and went to a 14 win, Rd2 Playoff in D1-AA so you can make a nice jump in 1 year if things fall in place for you.

8/12/2010 3:09 AM
Posted by z32fanatic on 8/11/2010 10:55:00 PM (view original):
Posted by tcochran on 8/11/2010 10:21:00 PM (view original):
Alabama got screwed, so it's a split title.

Great accomplishment, but I have to laugh at the others in CUSA that overly celebrate his achievements because they are basically pawns for Ebel's SOS.

The way Ebel has set up the conference psychology that it's super competitive, best of the best coaches, David vs Goliath to get others really invested is probably the most brilliant thing I've seen in this game.  In my opinion, Ebel is the best coach in the game right now.  Whether you want to say interest from other older coaches has waned or whatever is fine, but I find it difficult to argue with back to back NCs and the strategy used to get to the title games.
Ebel
Buffalo_rob
vhoward
arfy
evancanan
rsannation
kcden

All of them have NCs, clearly pawns in Ebel's big game to take over WIS. I would join if it didn't take me 9 seasons or however long to get there.
I didn't say they were bad coaches, all I said is Ebel gets much more benefit from them being in the conference then they do.

That could change if one of them knocks UCF off, but I don't think that will happen.  It's very difficult to rebuild a team in D1 in a full conference.
8/12/2010 6:26 AM
Posted by ebel331 on 8/11/2010 8:29:00 PM (view original):

Wow you outscored Tulsa by more than me, way to pick one tiny fraction of the equation out.  How bout... I beat Nebraska who in turn beat Michigan and LSU who both beat you. 

We already went over this when I just got the USC job in Stagg from Army.  People complained I had it easy cause my mid-major conference had too many simai, and now my UCF team has it easy cause conference doesn't have any simai?!  Who knew that non-BCS schools had such an advantage in this game!  Where's all those 20 page threads where everyone told me I was crazy when I told them that Elite advantage was hugely overblown.  Now it's unfair mid-major advantage???

The WIS rank has flaws but lets not turn that into UCF not deserving to be in these title games.  Think I'm 10-3 (maybe 11-3?) vs Elites since I've been there. 

I did not say you did not deserve to be in the championship game. I am strictly talking about the SOS flaw in GD.

Let me make this simple and someone step up and tell me that I am wrong and how I am wrong..... UCF with everything else being equal, that is they keep their same recruiting location, and same non elite recruiting prestige but they play in the Big Ten instead of their current Mid Major conference. Which situation do they have for a better path to the NC? Not only is the competition greater in the Big Ten, and the elites will tend to fair better, but in the Big Ten you are forced to play Elites and Big ten non elite teams every season, plus these teams will tend to fair better in the rankings....I don't think anyone can argue that if you(a championship quality team) played a 12 game schedule, that you are better off playing twelve 6-6 teams ranked in the mid 40's, compared to a 12 game schedule against six 11-1  ranked teams in the top 10, and six 1-11 ranked teams in the 100's. You know in the first situation you will be 12-0, odds are in the second situation you will not be 12-0, and in both situations you have the same SOS......

You played well in both seasons against every elite you played against and I do not deny that, even in the games you lost they were competitive, but that does not dismiss that your competition, or your conference competition is not on par with BCS conferences. Outside of your team your conference was 1-11 against top 20 teams, Tulane beating BYU was the only victory against a top 20 ranked team. This is not just your team, its any Non BCS team in any world. Any BCS team  can control who they play in Non Con, but they can't avoid the competition in their own conference, that is the advantage in a good Non BCS team in that generally a good NON BCS team can control who they play in OOC and then win out alot easier in conference compared to a BCS team. Most of the Non BCS teams that accomplish this feat get blown out in the NC game because their ranking was far greater than their teams ability, something that never happens in a BCS conference, when is the last time in a BCS confrence have you seen a team as poor as some of the NON BCS teams that are ranked top 5ish  finish top 7 overall, When you make a level 5 bowl and you see your opponent is a Non BCS team do you feel a lot more comfortable in winning compared to a BCS or Elite team?  I know your team is a lot more competitive, and won many of the games against the top competition that you played, but that is generally the exception and not the rule..... It's not personal, lot of people just feel the ranking system is flawed, and that Non BCS teams are generally ranked higher than they are deserved in comparison to the competition they play, and the BCS competition and who they play.

8/12/2010 8:18 AM (edited)

Well done Ebel.  My two cents on the subject is that the recruiting advantage outweighs the scheduling perks of a mid-major conference.  No one should argue it's easier to win a title at UCF than it is at Notre Dame, so a hearty kudos to Ebel for winning back to back titles.  I think we all appreciate that anyone taking the strategy of trying to model their team as close as possible to real life doesn't have a whole lot of success in GD.

8/12/2010 7:40 AM
Posted by mcbethbr on 8/12/2010 7:40:00 AM (view original):

Well done Ebel.  My two cents on the subject is that the recruiting advantage outweighs the scheduling perks of a mid-major conference.  No one should argue it's easier to win a title at UCF than it is at Notre Dame, so a hearty kudos to Ebel for winning back to back titles.  I think we all appreciate that anyone taking the strategy of trying to model their team as close as possible to real life doesn't have a whole lot of success in GD.

I agree that Notre Dame would be easier to win a title than UCF, but would it be easier to win at say Illinois compared to UCF? Does the easier scheduling make up for the prestige disadvantage? I think its been over 2 years in any world since a BCS Big Ten team has won the NC. I am not saying it can't be done, I am saying its been a long time since a BCS Big Tem team has won a NC, I believe the last time was before carryover reduction.
8/12/2010 8:21 AM (edited)
What's wrong with the Big Ten?  Hasn't mrhands17 been winning alot at Michigan?
8/12/2010 8:22 AM
Plague I agree that the WIS rank is flawed, I think Im one of the people that pointed out bow to best game the system. But that goes for every team, not just midmajors. I've seen midmajors make title games and level 5s that had no business there, but Ive seen the same fromBCS teams and elites.

Obviously making it through the BIg10 or SEC is usually gonna be tougher cause of the 4 elites that will tend to have 4 good coaches but USC doesn't have to play any elites, nor does any big east teams and the ACC only has two and I dont hear anyone crying when a team from those conferences makes a title game.

And if coaches from those conferences think it's not fair to play such 'tough' competition then they should just grab a sunbelt team or something, Im sure they'll find it super easy to start collecting titles! Woooooooo MIDMAJOR ADVANTAGE! Elites suck hahahhaa

8/12/2010 9:23 AM
Posted by mcbethbr on 8/12/2010 8:23:00 AM (view original):
What's wrong with the Big Ten?  Hasn't mrhands17 been winning alot at Michigan?
Michigan is an elite
8/12/2010 9:28 AM
Posted by plague on 8/12/2010 8:18:00 AM (view original):
Posted by ebel331 on 8/11/2010 8:29:00 PM (view original):

Wow you outscored Tulsa by more than me, way to pick one tiny fraction of the equation out.  How bout... I beat Nebraska who in turn beat Michigan and LSU who both beat you. 

We already went over this when I just got the USC job in Stagg from Army.  People complained I had it easy cause my mid-major conference had too many simai, and now my UCF team has it easy cause conference doesn't have any simai?!  Who knew that non-BCS schools had such an advantage in this game!  Where's all those 20 page threads where everyone told me I was crazy when I told them that Elite advantage was hugely overblown.  Now it's unfair mid-major advantage???

The WIS rank has flaws but lets not turn that into UCF not deserving to be in these title games.  Think I'm 10-3 (maybe 11-3?) vs Elites since I've been there. 

I did not say you did not deserve to be in the championship game. I am strictly talking about the SOS flaw in GD.

Let me make this simple and someone step up and tell me that I am wrong and how I am wrong..... UCF with everything else being equal, that is they keep their same recruiting location, and same non elite recruiting prestige but they play in the Big Ten instead of their current Mid Major conference. Which situation do they have for a better path to the NC? Not only is the competition greater in the Big Ten, and the elites will tend to fair better, but in the Big Ten you are forced to play Elites and Big ten non elite teams every season, plus these teams will tend to fair better in the rankings....I don't think anyone can argue that if you(a championship quality team) played a 12 game schedule, that you are better off playing twelve 6-6 teams ranked in the mid 40's, compared to a 12 game schedule against six 11-1  ranked teams in the top 10, and six 1-11 ranked teams in the 100's. You know in the first situation you will be 12-0, odds are in the second situation you will not be 12-0, and in both situations you have the same SOS......

You played well in both seasons against every elite you played against and I do not deny that, even in the games you lost they were competitive, but that does not dismiss that your competition, or your conference competition is not on par with BCS conferences. Outside of your team your conference was 1-11 against top 20 teams, Tulane beating BYU was the only victory against a top 20 ranked team. This is not just your team, its any Non BCS team in any world. Any BCS team  can control who they play in Non Con, but they can't avoid the competition in their own conference, that is the advantage in a good Non BCS team in that generally a good NON BCS team can control who they play in OOC and then win out alot easier in conference compared to a BCS team. Most of the Non BCS teams that accomplish this feat get blown out in the NC game because their ranking was far greater than their teams ability, something that never happens in a BCS conference, when is the last time in a BCS confrence have you seen a team as poor as some of the NON BCS teams that are ranked top 5ish  finish top 7 overall, When you make a level 5 bowl and you see your opponent is a Non BCS team do you feel a lot more comfortable in winning compared to a BCS or Elite team?  I know your team is a lot more competitive, and won many of the games against the top competition that you played, but that is generally the exception and not the rule..... It's not personal, lot of people just feel the ranking system is flawed, and that Non BCS teams are generally ranked higher than they are deserved in comparison to the competition they play, and the BCS competition and who they play.

The flip side of that coin is (as nelson mentioned earlier in this thread) is having a stellar non-BCS team that CANNOT make the title game regardless of their OOC schedule because the in-conference games are TOO EASY. The mid-major only has a scheduling advantage if the rest of their conference is at least mildly competitive. That is what makes the Power CUSA work so well -- that other good coaches are there to make it competitive. 

I distinctly remember having an undefeated season at Army in Dobie (season 27) including beating 3 elites during non-cons and STILL unable to get to the NC game because the conference sucked so badly. That isn't a scheduling advantage, lol, that's a huge roadblock that you have no control over as a non-BCS coach. When you play 6 sim teams ranked 90+ you will never see the NC game regardless of the rest of your schedule.

Is there a SOS flaw? Sure, but for every UCF team of ebel's there's an Army team out there like mine that will never see the light of the crystal egg trophy. It cuts both ways, so think about that before you make the jump to a Sun Belt team with dreams of trophies dancing through your head.
8/12/2010 10:24 AM
Frankly this reflects real life in a lot ways.  Look at Boise State.  Ranked 5th to start the year, plays #6 Virginia Tech in D.C. to start the year and then the only other remotely difficult game is Oregon State in Boise the rest of the year.  If Boise beats Va Tech and Oregon State, it won't need much help (bama and florida will play at least once and like Ohio State and Texas have much more difficult schedules then Boise).  A loss by those guys and Boise will likely play for the title and probably won't deserve to based on the overall schedule it played.
8/12/2010 10:53 AM
I think plague already put the points very well.

I think ebel deserves a lot of credit for winning the NC, back to back.  He had to beat his NC opponent fair and square each season.

But please do not sell it as a greater accomplishment than it is (more than it deserves to be) of winning back to back NCs with a mid major (emphasis). 

as some coaches already pointed out, SOS scheduling at midmajor cuts both ways.  You can have really good midmajors denied the chance of playing in the NC because of an ultra weak conf.  But in this case, you can also have a good midmajor who benefited greatly from a conf power greater than anyone elses.  The former is an extra disadvantage while the latter is an extra advantage.  In this case, you've managed to create an unusual setup of having a conf filled with humans.

UCF is no worse than a very good BCS school when it comes to recruiting because of the extra conf money.

I think I'm representing a group here when I say that it is a good accomplishment to win back to back NCs, but let's not make this into something more than that (such as "coaching" a MIDMAJOR (emphasis) into back to back titles)

it's obvious that you won't win the NCs so regularly with your other schools in other world or at a midmajor in a less populated conf.

it's not right to minimize the accomplishment at UCF nor is it right to overhype it.
8/12/2010 12:00 PM (edited)
Posted by acres1972 on 8/12/2010 3:09:00 AM (view original):
Posted by mach5 on 8/11/2010 6:17:00 PM (view original):
Posted by jtwhiz on 8/11/2010 5:00:00 PM (view original):
I was planning on trying to build up UNH in Dobie but my stupidity in forgetting to recruit a P or K has me losing to sims. I'm moving to the Big MAC next season. Who's with me? There are three teams open.
On my way.  I'm in DII right now though, and probably need another season after this one just to get to an average DI-AA school.

And then a couple of seasons there.  So it might be a while.

If I'm good enough.

I was in DII one year and went 11-3 with a 1st Rd playoff exit, came back the next year and went to a 14 win, Rd2 Playoff in D1-AA so you can make a nice jump in 1 year if things fall in place for you.

I think I'm going to stay in DII for another season after this one because I have a good amount of guys returning and will probably get more wins if I stay compared if I move up to DI-AA right away.

Does anybody have some feedback on this?  Will it count for more if I get 13 wins at the DII level compared to 9-10 wins at the DI-AA level for moving up to DI-A?
8/12/2010 11:58 AM
Any team - elite, BCS, or mid-major would benefit from having a full conference as opposed to an empty one.

The difference is that if the SEC or Big Ten is full, it's very likely that there's at least one or two Top 10 teams + most teams in the Top 20/30/40s that you'll have to play (and probably beat) to get to the NC.  In SEC Bryant, there's 8 or 9 teams where the top ranked team could lose to the 9th best team - regardless if that top team is one of the best teams in the country.  In Camp CUSA the past few seasons, I don't even think there has been one other team in the conference that had a realistic shot at being UCF.  Now, they may get there because it does have some good coaches, but they also may never break into UCF's level because of the challenges of having a competitive, full conference.

And I agree with DKC's last comment about not minimizing or overhyping it.  It is back to back NCs without an elite and that is impressive.  Back to back NCs even with an elite is impressive to me.

Say jsolarz with Florida in Bryant runs the table and wins the NC (he's 11-0 right now, I'm going to rain on his parade though ).  To me, that is more impressive just because he played a tough noncon schedule just like UCF, but he also was legitimately tested in virtually every conference game by teams that are of higher quality than Camp CUSA.
8/12/2010 12:09 PM
Posted by tcochran on 8/12/2010 12:09:00 PM (view original):
Any team - elite, BCS, or mid-major would benefit from having a full conference as opposed to an empty one.

The difference is that if the SEC or Big Ten is full, it's very likely that there's at least one or two Top 10 teams + most teams in the Top 20/30/40s that you'll have to play (and probably beat) to get to the NC.  In SEC Bryant, there's 8 or 9 teams where the top ranked team could lose to the 9th best team - regardless if that top team is one of the best teams in the country.  In Camp CUSA the past few seasons, I don't even think there has been one other team in the conference that had a realistic shot at being UCF.  Now, they may get there because it does have some good coaches, but they also may never break into UCF's level because of the challenges of having a competitive, full conference.

And I agree with DKC's last comment about not minimizing or overhyping it.  It is back to back NCs without an elite and that is impressive.  Back to back NCs even with an elite is impressive to me.

Say jsolarz with Florida in Bryant runs the table and wins the NC (he's 11-0 right now, I'm going to rain on his parade though ).  To me, that is more impressive just because he played a tough noncon schedule just like UCF, but he also was legitimately tested in virtually every conference game by teams that are of higher quality than Camp CUSA.
A lot of UCF's conference games were pretty close.  Not that it's necessarily on the same level as a BCS conference, but a lot of his conference games were closer then the non-conference ones where he was facing "better teams".
8/12/2010 12:23 PM

Like my man puff say, when you on top people just want to bring you down.  More titles more problems.

"UCF is no worse than a very good BCS school when it comes to recruiting because of the extra conf money." -DKC

Once again, this is pretty funny considering the ridicule I got when I tried to explain that the advantage Elites have over BCS teams is greatly exaggerated but it's well recognized that even Elite>BCS isn't near as great as BCS>MidMajor.  FYI, Camp CUSA got a whopping 60k in bowl money this season. 

8/12/2010 12:27 PM
◂ Prev 1|2|3|4|5...19 Next ▸
Lowly Mid-Major takes over Camp World. Again. Topic

Search Criteria

Terms of Use Customer Support Privacy Statement

© 1999-2024 WhatIfSports.com, Inc. All rights reserved. WhatIfSports is a trademark of WhatIfSports.com, Inc. SimLeague, SimMatchup and iSimNow are trademarks or registered trademarks of Electronic Arts, Inc. Used under license. The names of actual companies and products mentioned herein may be the trademarks of their respective owners.