Lowly Mid-Major takes over Camp World. Again. Topic

Posted by tcochran on 10/15/2010 4:35:00 PM (view original):
Posted by tcochran on 9/24/2010 3:33:00 PM (view original):
Throughout this thread, whenever a point is made that you can't respond to (ie. Marshall getting a fluke win to you means more than mounds of data) you just spout off some random attack.

When you go undefeated this season, you will be playing a different tune at the end.  You will say you deserve it because going through such a POWER conference is all that matters and other fabricated garbage.
Not that my argument needed any more factual data, but that has to be the weakest schedule to ever be in the NC, right?  Somehow the engine considers UCF to have the 13th SOS and UAB the 9th ranked.  And neither of them played anybody good with the exception of UAB playing UCF twice.  UAB's only good win is vs. #25 UNC by 2 points.  The rest is trash.  Lost to every good team he played (which was 3 teams).

It's pretty obvious the two title teams should be Florida and Penn State.
Concur with tcochran.  Creative scheduling has created this situation for UCF.  Congrats on all the success, very, very impressive.
But.... I would love to have seen at least one out of conference game versus a top-25 team on the way to the championship game.  A victory over Florida would prove the ranking is not a fluke... Just seems like a sneaky/tricky way to get into the championship. 
10/15/2010 7:02 PM
Congrats on your first forum post. I wasn't planning on being in NC game this year but I'llcertainly take it!
10/15/2010 7:13 PM
Posted by ebel331 on 10/15/2010 7:13:00 PM (view original):
Congrats on your first forum post. I wasn't planning on being in NC game this year but I'llcertainly take it!
Just killin' some time my man...
10/15/2010 7:14 PM
Throughout this thread, whenever a point is made that you can't respond to (ie. Marshall getting a fluke win to you means more than mounds of data) you just spout off some random attack.

When you go undefeated this season, you will be playing a different tune at the end.  You will say you deserve it because going through such a POWER conference is all that matters and other fabricated garbage.
Not that my argument needed any more factual data, but that has to be the weakest schedule to ever be in the NC, right?  Somehow the engine considers UCF to have the 13th SOS and UAB the 9th ranked.  And neither of them played anybody good with the exception of UAB playing UCF twice.  UAB's only good win is vs. #25 UNC by 2 points.  The rest is trash.  Lost to every good team he played (which was 3 teams).

UAB would kick Oklahoma's ***.
10/15/2010 7:18 PM
Posted by buffalo_rob on 10/15/2010 7:18:00 PM (view original):

UAB would kick Oklahoma's ***.
Uhh.. no. 

We've gone down this road before.  I'm happy to play anyone from CUSA.
10/15/2010 10:05 PM
I think WIS is actually pretty on in the rankings...here's an excerpt from Joe Posnanski's blog...

Death to the BCS

"?Because NOT LOSING is all that matters, college football has been robbed of its big non-conference games. There’s no point in playing a good non-conference team. Quite the opposite. The intelligent way to become a national championship contender is to play a non-conference schedule of patsies so that you can be sure you enter the conference season undefeated. Bill Snyder figured this out years ago at Kansas State, where he turned around the worst college football program in America with terrific recruiting, brilliant coaching and careful scheduling. This was before the official BCS, but the idea was the same. The more easy games on your schedule, the better chance you have of going undefeated. When Bill and Kansas State would get ripped for its easy non-conference schedule, Bill would shrug: He knew he was doing the right thing. And sure enough, in 1998 Kansas State was a fumble away from being in the national championship game. A decade later, Kansas almost rode a ludicrously easy schedule into the national championship game."

And that's exactly what WIS rewards...not losing.
10/16/2010 10:40 AM
Posted by nelsonba25 on 10/16/2010 10:40:00 AM (view original):
I think WIS is actually pretty on in the rankings...here's an excerpt from Joe Posnanski's blog...

Death to the BCS

"?Because NOT LOSING is all that matters, college football has been robbed of its big non-conference games. There’s no point in playing a good non-conference team. Quite the opposite. The intelligent way to become a national championship contender is to play a non-conference schedule of patsies so that you can be sure you enter the conference season undefeated. Bill Snyder figured this out years ago at Kansas State, where he turned around the worst college football program in America with terrific recruiting, brilliant coaching and careful scheduling. This was before the official BCS, but the idea was the same. The more easy games on your schedule, the better chance you have of going undefeated. When Bill and Kansas State would get ripped for its easy non-conference schedule, Bill would shrug: He knew he was doing the right thing. And sure enough, in 1998 Kansas State was a fumble away from being in the national championship game. A decade later, Kansas almost rode a ludicrously easy schedule into the national championship game."

nelson dont ever quote that book again :-)  its the devil
10/16/2010 10:55 AM
Posted by all2matt on 10/16/2010 10:55:00 AM (view original):

Death to the BCS

nelson dont ever quote that book again :-)  its the devil
I actually haven't read it, just read Posnanski's blog about the book. 
10/16/2010 11:32 AM

Death to the BCS

How does that explain UCF's SOS is 20 spots higher than Penn State's?
10/16/2010 11:51 AM
Isn't SOS determined by opponent win percentage?
10/16/2010 12:10 PM
Can I bump a UCF thread from 2010?
5/10/2017 10:40 PM
This post has a rating of , which is below the default threshold.
Anyone want to summarize for me? I don't have the patience to flip through that many pages of an old topic.
5/11/2017 1:18 PM
And seriously how many accounts have been created to attack ebel?
5/11/2017 1:23 PM
Posted by genuvar on 5/11/2017 1:18:00 PM (view original):
Anyone want to summarize for me? I don't have the patience to flip through that many pages of an old topic.
It's not actually that good. I was doing some research on my troll last night and was having fun reading some old threads. Probably wasn't worth the bump.

5/11/2017 1:52 PM
◂ Prev 1...17|18|19
Lowly Mid-Major takes over Camp World. Again. Topic

Search Criteria

Terms of Use Customer Support Privacy Statement

© 1999-2024 WhatIfSports.com, Inc. All rights reserved. WhatIfSports is a trademark of WhatIfSports.com, Inc. SimLeague, SimMatchup and iSimNow are trademarks or registered trademarks of Electronic Arts, Inc. Used under license. The names of actual companies and products mentioned herein may be the trademarks of their respective owners.