Interesting idea for a conference Topic

I've been thinking about this for a while. What if some of the coaches who were most confident in their abilities and willingness to adapt got together and formed a bit of a more "challenging" conference. 

I think this would be best suited for D2 or D3, and I also think that everyone in the same conference would be fun.

Every team has some sort of special caveat (done randomly, perhaps) that is supposed to be near even (note: it's not going to be perfect, we'd have to do our best to agree on everything).

Examples of caveats:

Can only recruit from one designated state.

Can only recruit foreign born players.

Can only recruit SGs.

Can only recruit SFs.

Can only recruit PFs.

Must have all starters average over 35 minutes per game.

Must shoot ZERO three-pointers (obviously last minute heaves can't count against).

Must recruit only players below a 5 durability (this number is negotiable, but I think it should probably be 3 or 5). 

Must recruit only players with Work Ethic below 10.

Players all must be defined as "head cases."

Anyone think this would be fun? I think we'd need to get a pretty full conference for it to be interesting/fun or for us to find any info out about the game itself. I think a 2 game a day world would be best for something like this, I have teams currently that I don't want to leave in all 2 game a day worlds, but I could start a second ID to do it. 

Also, if you want to contribute any special circumstances of your own that might be interesting, or maybe rank the ones that I wrote down from easiest to hardest, go for it (I just made those up quickly, but some of them were the ones I was thinking about: for instance, what team would be more successful at D2, one with ONLY SGs or one with ONLY PFs?).
8/12/2010 4:41 AM
Also, there might be a really cool dynamic with everyone so close together, what if there was a true stud who in the heart of the entire conference with under 5 durability, who was a SG, and a headcase? With smaller player pools to recruit from with this criteria, you'd get even more (encouraged!) in-conference battles. Man, the more I think about this the cooler I think it could be.
8/12/2010 4:45 AM
The "head case" refers to the early days when we had 'dilemmas'.  It's meaningless now. But the other categories are cool.
8/12/2010 5:50 AM
Coach must not practice any O or D.

Everyone must be set to "+2."

All FT shooters must be an F.

8/12/2010 5:57 AM (edited)
you can only recruit players with last names from A-M
8/12/2010 8:00 AM
Well, some of the easiest to do would be to set the initial filter ratings.  "All Low post below 20"  "All 'all rebounding below thirty'.  "No bigs"(Noone with the PF or C designation may be recruited)

Or:

Everyone must run a fast break/Press uptempo.

Or any other specific offense/defenseive combo.

Everyone must run slowdown.  Run a plus five or minus five defense all season.

Or if you want to see fireworks:  ALl players must be set to a plus two three setting, all defenses to a minus five setting.  In an uptempo Press. . . .

Set a maximum defense for the league

8/12/2010 8:11 AM
I would be up for a conference like this. I had an all SF team once in DII.
8/12/2010 10:11 AM
Personally, I would be fascinated to see what an all - guard team would look like.

8/12/2010 10:18 AM

Mine will be an all-guard D3 team soon (http://whatifsports.com/hd/TeamProfile/Ratings.aspx?tid=5132 . It's pretty fun just to tinker around with (I usually play under the name rockafe11a), but this is my side project. I plan on moving to all guards and getting  team averages in ATH/SPD over 60 and not a whole lot else. :) Just for fun. I've taken more than twice as many free throws as my opponents this season...although my SOS is pretty weak right now. A conference like this sounds pretty cool, i'd be up for it jones.

8/12/2010 11:10 AM (edited)
I would love to join a DIII conference like this.  As long as it is in any world other than Tark and Knight, you can sign me up. 

As a related side, I had Johnson State in DIII for 6 seasons where I recruited only players with the last name of Johnson.  It was hilarious to see a roster full of 12 Johnsons.

However, if everybody was given a specific "assignment" or parameters from which to recruit from, the league would be fascinating...an HD theme league. 

I'm in.
8/12/2010 11:37 AM
Posted by alblack56 on 8/12/2010 8:00:00 AM (view original):
you can only recruit players with last names from A-M
Actually, you could assign everyone a specific letter so that there would never be any in-conference recruiting battles.  If you eliminate the vowels and the seldon-used last name consonants such as Q, V, X, Y, Z, K, etc...we could get down to the 12 most common consonants and that would be each individual's exclusive recruiting base.  For instance, somebody gets the letter S.
8/12/2010 11:50 AM
One team that runs only FB/PRESS and everyone is set to +1 or +2.  And I'd do it for d2 and recruit ONLY international guys.  I love recruiting international guys.  I have to say this is a fantastic idea aejones.

EDIT: Just to clarify those are two seperate idea.  One team that runs FB/press and another one with all internationals.  Although an all international fb/press team would be crazy.
8/12/2010 12:07 PM (edited)
This post has a rating of , which is below the default threshold.
look at his actual games:  In most of them he has an ATH+REB advantage.  Isn't it athleticism and rebounding?
8/12/2010 1:06 PM
Posted by uconnut on 8/12/2010 1:07:00 PM (view original):
look at his actual games:  In most of them he has an ATH+REB advantage.  Isn't it athleticism and rebounding?
also IQ and shooting %, but who needs facts?
8/12/2010 1:27 PM
1|2|3...14 Next ▸
Interesting idea for a conference Topic

Search Criteria

Terms of Use Customer Support Privacy Statement

© 1999-2024 WhatIfSports.com, Inc. All rights reserved. WhatIfSports is a trademark of WhatIfSports.com, Inc. SimLeague, SimMatchup and iSimNow are trademarks or registered trademarks of Electronic Arts, Inc. Used under license. The names of actual companies and products mentioned herein may be the trademarks of their respective owners.