Posted by contrarian23 on 7/12/2012 3:42:00 PM (view original):
On a less polarizing note, I'll offer the following additions:

-- "Parnell" - to completely miscalculate the fatigue effects at a particular cap (by seriously underdrafting IP or PA).  In homage to Joe McCarthy's decision to bring in Mel Parnell - who had started the previous day - to pitch the 9th inning of the last game of the 1949 season.  See b-r.com or retrosheet.org for the details.  Thought about naming this the "McCarthy" but decided that had too many political overtones and I'm trying to get away from that.  Usage: "I seriously Parnelled the 120M, spidered my team as a result, and am hopelessly out of the cage."

-- "RIM" - to zig when everyone else is zagging, and getting killed as result.  Like when everyone chose Eddie Collins in the 2-team twist last year or the year before.  Those of us who didn't paid the price.  Derivation: Research in Motion's steadfast insistence on the Blackberry user interface when the rest of the world was going Apple.  Usage: "I RIM'd the 70M this year; should have taken the Cardinals like everyone else." 

The first addition might be called "Little" after Grady Little, who left Pedro Martinez in the game too long in the 2003 ALCS when everyone on the planet knew he should have pulled him. He gave up a 3-run lead and the Yankees won the game and the series. The name works, since having too few PAs or IPs would be called Littling your team.
7/1/2019 4:51 PM
RIM is dangerous. Getting rimmed by one's opponent can easily go in a wrong direction.
7/11/2019 3:41 PM
I'm a rookie to this tournament,albeit an excited one.I would propose that the expected shellacking I'll take to be called getting "rooked".Kind of like getting "schooled",but narrowing it down to being a rookie as well.Example."I got Double Mauched today,but I guess it's all part of being Rooked".
8/9/2019 1:46 PM
Posted by Jtpsops on 7/11/2019 3:41:00 PM (view original):
RIM is dangerous. Getting rimmed by one's opponent can easily go in a wrong direction.
Actually, in the suggested context, you could only RIM yourself...

Which opens a whole other can of worms...
8/9/2019 8:29 PM
Posted by toddcommish on 8/9/2019 8:29:00 PM (view original):
Posted by Jtpsops on 7/11/2019 3:41:00 PM (view original):
Actually, in the suggested context, you could only RIM yourself...

Which opens a whole other can of worms...
If I could RIM myself, I'd never leave the house
8/9/2019 10:42 PM
This thread has gone from RIM to TMI. Quickly.
8/9/2019 10:47 PM
2020 bump
4/13/2020 1:03 AM
Been a while since I've added to the lexicon...here's a couple new terms for 2020:

SIMnesia (n.) : when you look at one of your teams and cannot for the life of you remember what you were thinking when you put it together. Usage: "I must have F&*&ing SIMnesia...1250 IP and Rodney Scott at 2B in a 120M?!?"

Merkle (v.): You forget a critical theme rule and it effectively screws your team. Usage: "I completely Merkled the 140M because I forgot about the DH and didn't draft enough PA." Closely related to "Parnell" and "Spider", which are defined earlier in the thread.

Tether (v.): the rare but occasional occurrence where you end up being placed 3+ times in the same league/division with another owner. Inevitably that owner is one of the WIS gods. Usage "I'm freakin' tethered to schwarze this year...there goes any chance of making it into the cage."

4/22/2020 5:17 PM (edited)
Posted by ronthegenius on 9/17/2010 7:35:00 PM (view original):
Jtpsops - To struggle to win against inferior competition because the entire Wifs site is conspiring against you....bonus points here for losing to the bottom dwellers in the league while your division rival sweeps the good teams. 

Usage:  " Unfrickin believable - I should be in the cage but I just Jtpsops'ed my series against a team 12 games under .500."   Or " There's no way I should have lost to that team because that team lost previously to that other team which was beat by the team that I'm much better than.  The site must be out to Jtpsops me"
I’d like this updated. I’ve graduated to complaining about the streakiness of the SIM and the late season collapse of all my teams.
4/22/2020 6:37 PM
Speaking of tethered Contrarian, I am in all six of your leagues.
4/30/2020 10:47 AM
2021 bump...we have a lot of 1st-timers this year...y'all need to learn the lingo :)
3/18/2021 7:29 PM
Posted by Jtpsops on 4/22/2020 6:37:00 PM (view original):
Posted by ronthegenius on 9/17/2010 7:35:00 PM (view original):
Jtpsops - To struggle to win against inferior competition because the entire Wifs site is conspiring against you....bonus points here for losing to the bottom dwellers in the league while your division rival sweeps the good teams. 

Usage:  " Unfrickin believable - I should be in the cage but I just Jtpsops'ed my series against a team 12 games under .500."   Or " There's no way I should have lost to that team because that team lost previously to that other team which was beat by the team that I'm much better than.  The site must be out to Jtpsops me"
I’d like this updated. I’ve graduated to complaining about the streakiness of the SIM and the late season collapse of all my teams.
Yes this gets updated alright. I will make sure Adam forwards this to the new code when the rewrite takes place. He's even going to install a big red button on his desk to alert him when you are due a bad beat...
3/22/2021 8:12 PM
This year's new term:

"DHo", preferably said in Homer Simpson voice, with accompanying facepalm.

Definition: The expression uttered when you have spent hours building the perfect team for one of the themes, tweaking everything to get it just right, confident that you have a winner, and then you go back and re-read the theme rules and see "DH: Yes".

This is closely related to "Merkle", see a couple of posts above. The crucial distinction being that "DHo" implies you caught the mistake before the season started. "Merkle" means you didn't...
3/24/2021 8:26 AM (edited)
Recently an owner had back-to-back-to back 6-0 cycles, believed to be unprecedented. Originally named a Triple Schwarze, I wondered aloud if the name was worthy of such a feat.

I come before you with alternatives to ponder.

Poseidon's Trident

The Triple Lindy

The Lamar Odom(also referred to as The Human Tripod, possibly an anatomical reference)

Thank you for your attention...
6/17/2021 7:55 PM (edited)
Surely such an unprecedented feat should bare the namesake of the man who accomplished it?
6/17/2021 8:31 PM
◂ Prev 123456 Next ▸

Search Criteria

Terms of Use Customer Support Privacy Statement

© 1999-2024 WhatIfSports.com, Inc. All rights reserved. WhatIfSports is a trademark of WhatIfSports.com, Inc. SimLeague, SimMatchup and iSimNow are trademarks or registered trademarks of Electronic Arts, Inc. Used under license. The names of actual companies and products mentioned herein may be the trademarks of their respective owners.