Pre-Season

#1-Greensboro- They return 10 guys coming off a season where they earned a 2 seed.  This will be their second season playing m2m so the IQs should be even better than last year.  They are lead by Senior Point Guard and assist machine Chester Perry.  Reigning National Freshman of the Year Robert Johnson should take on a good part of the scoring load.

#2-Western Connecticut State-Home to reigning National Player of the Year Dan Wilson, they return 7 players, 5 of them being seniors.  They are a high stamina press team who will wear you down and turn you over.  Look out for Sophomore Shooting Guard William McCullon, he could have some sneaky good numbers coming off the bench this year.

#3-Rowan-Returning 10 players, they are a well-balanced team with senior leadership coming from Guard William Hanner and Foward Mark Marzano.  After being upset in the first round last year coach jerkstore33 should be out there with a chip on his shoulder.  

#4-Drew-They return 9 players, 8 of them being juniors and seniors.  Junior Point Guard David Beck and Senior Small Forward Peter Surber should lead this team to a Freedom Conference title.

#5-Roanoke-Unquestionably the best collection of big men in the country, Senior Gerald Peters and Junior David Algarin will lead this impressive group.  Despite their great big men, their guards are spotty.  They will have freshman back ups at PG, SG and SF.  If these freshman can step in and be effective, look out.

#6-Swarthmore-They return all but one player from last season's 2nd round team and they should be much better this year.  They have a multitude of players who could step up any given game, but Seniors Homer Pease and Derrick Uecker should step up and lead this team to many victories.

#7-New York U-Coming off a Sweet 16, they return 10 players including stud Senior Small Forward Daniel Kincer.  Junior rebounding machine Daniel Roush will also be a big contributor to this team that will try to bring home a championship in the tough Upstate Conference.  

#8-Fisk-A very talented team that could have a big breakout year.  Junior Guard David Milne was a questionable recruit with coaches wondering whether he could be good player with his low athleticism and low defense.  Coach ginobili04 took the risk and it appears to have paid off as Milne is clearly the favorite for Ohio Athletic Conference Player of the Year.

#9-City College of New York-They return 8 players from their 30 win team last year.  Senior Point Guard Brian Lamb and Junior Shooter Ronald Robbs could lead this team to another 30 win season.

#10-Brandeis-Following a remarkable run to the Championship game Brandeis returns 9 players, although none of them seniors.  Greg Williams should be the leader of this team coming off his 1st team-all conference performance as a Sophomore.  It should be interesting to see how super athletic Joseph Housel progresses. 

#11-Franklin & Marshall-Just three seasons removed from their National Championship, F&M will try to re-establish themselves as an elite team after their 13-15 season.  Senior Guard Lucas Green will try to improve on his very impressive Junior season. 

#12-Massachusetts Liberal Arts-Another team that will try to regain their elite status, MCLA will be lead by standout Junior Point Guard Joseph Hanson and Senior Guard John Thomas.  

#13-Susquehanna-Coming off a great Elite 8 run, Susquehanna will look to top that run this year with star Point Guards Ivan Lavallie and William Milton.  Their biggest game of the year will be the very first game of the year in their traditional battle against #3 Rowan.

#14-Peidmont-Coming off a Final Four and the #1 RPI they get 7 players back including 6 seniors.  The talented Michael Migues will try to guide them through a very tough USA South.

#15-Texas Lutheran-With 10 players coming back, they should do pretty well this year, although next year should be even better.  Junior Thomas Walser should look for some all-conference honors this year.
9/15/2010 4:12 PM (edited)
Very nice tkimble! (other than the shaky #1 that is...)
8/26/2010 4:48 PM
thanks narco it was actually pretty fun doing it.  It seems like a lot of the elite teams this year are rebuilding with 5 or 6 opens scholarships.  Also, the hyperlinks are pretty fun.  I'll probably update it 4 or 5 games into the season.
8/26/2010 11:03 PM (edited)
great stuff tk. how far do you think Roanoke will drop when they lose to RanMac? as a followup question, do you think that loss will be remembered as the moment that the balance of power in mid-atlantic recruiting shifted strongly and permanently, with prep start flowing into Ashland for years to come?

seriously though, good read.
8/27/2010 6:15 AM
Nice work. Fun to read!
8/27/2010 10:43 PM
Thanks tkimble, I don't know your methodology but naturally I find it above reproach.  =)

I have my concerns about my team though.  We lost five very good players, most notably PG Glenn Roper, who had a 3.6:1 career A:TO ratio, more like 4.5:1 the last two seasons I believe.  Roper is why Wilson was a NPOY winner.  The guy repalcing Roper (KWade, not quite DWade) was 2:1 last season, very decent but a sharp fall-off.  I did sign a transfer PG (Hutchison) who knows our offense and should flourish in our system.  But he has 70 stm which I don't expect to improve much, so Wade has to start.  We'll see how that goes.

You were right to i.d. McCullon, I have big plans for him.  My other major concern would be replacing Jefferson's post offense.  It's going to have to come from either Basham or Johnson this season, neither of whom is quite what Jefferson was.  After this season I have a lot of confidence that incoming frosh Sumner and Cagle can fill that role, but they're too young yet.

Sorry for the prattle.  I never started a thread for this team because I had tired of keeping up threads.  I guess I had some stored-up thoughts.  Good luck this season.
8/27/2010 10:52 PM

Nice work Tkimble................Chowan restocked with what im certain will be  top 32 class......enough to compete with Gboro and Piedmont?  probably not but well be back........i've got a tough non con tooo....ugh....

8/28/2010 12:51 PM
tkimble, that was awesome.  Unfortunately, the way I won the NT (9 upperclassmen on a team), leaves a pretty big whole when it's 9 underclassmen a couple of years later.  Good news is, I'm back on the incline, but I think that next year will be better.  Hope I can make it count.
8/29/2010 2:55 PM
Great stuff tkimble!
8/30/2010 10:28 AM

Nice job Tkimble,that took alot of work. I have lower expectations than you for Swarthmore. Thanks for the added pressure. Good luck this season.

8/30/2010 12:40 PM
8 Games In:

Rank-Team, Record, RPI

#1-Greensboro, 8-0, 2--The Pre-season #1 team went undefeated in their first eight games, beating 4 top 50 RPI teams and 6 top 100 RPI teams total.  Robert Johnston leads Greensboro in scoring with 16.8 points per game, but Chester Perry has been by far the most impressive player in the country.  He is averaging close to 10 points per game shooting an incredible 65%, but even more impressive is his nation-leading 6.1 Assists per game while only turning the ball over 1.3 times per game.  These guys are unquestionably the favorite to take home their 4th national championship in 7 season.    

#2-Drew, 7-1, 14--Drew has lived up to their pre-season #4 ranking so far going 7-1 against a schedule that featured three road games against top 30 RPI teams. Senior James Thompson has been very impressive this year, scoring 15 points per game on 55% shooting and only turning the ball over 1.6 times per game.  His big 27 point game gave his team their most impressive win at Swarthmore.

#3-Piedmont-7-1, 4--Despite the five freshman on the roster, they have come up with a 7-1 record against very strong opponents.  Their only loss came at home to a very good Rowan team and they have some very nice wins against VassarHamline, and at Case Western.  Michael Migues is the key to this team, not only with his scoring, but with his strikingly impressive all-around game (12.6 ppg, 54% shooting, 4.3 rpg, 2.5 apg, .5 topg, and nearly 2 steals per game).

#4-Rowan-6-2, 6--They have big wins over their annual rival Susquehanna and Piedmont with both of those coming on the road.  Junior big man Cody Jones has been performing very well this year, averaging 9.5 ppg and 6.6 rpg, but Mark Marzano has been the most impressive player on the floor this year for Rowan.

#5-Randolph-Macon-8-0, 7--They have two top 10 RPI wins against Rowan and Benedictine.  Hubert Freeze is the key to their whole team, averaging nearly 5 assists per game and also providing the top of their zone with a 99 defense rating.  David Poch, a completely under the radar recruit, has broken out as a stand-out performer for this young Randolph-Macon team.

#6-East Mennonite-8-0, 1--John Mobley has been an impressive performer for this undefeated team.  Anytime you're undefeated and have the #1 RPI, your team is good.  Look out for these guys.

#7-Marantha Baptist Bible, 8-0, 3--They jumped onto the radar after beating then #1 Marietta.  Coach grimacedance has his team playing a Press +5 slowdown, a strategy that hasn't been seen in the new engine yet (I think) and seems to be working well enough for them to have an undefeated record against the 23rd ranked SOS.  Ultra-athletic Senior SF Ernie Warne is the guy leading on this team.

#8-East Connecticut State-8-0, 33--They have key wins over Texas Lutheran and Kalamazoo.  David Biddle leads this team in scoring and will look to lead his team to an undefeated non-conference.

#9-New York U-6-2, 24--Their only losses have come to Greensboro and Drew, #1 and #2 in these rankings.  As predicted, Daniel Kincer is having another monster year.

#10-Susquehanna-Since losing their first three games they have come back to win 5 in a row, including wins at Alma and home against Westfield State.  Senior Power Forward Barry Spencer has been their best big man this year.

9/3/2010 8:06 PM
I planned on doing this every 8 games but I feel like we need to get a couple more games out of the way so the posts aren't so close together.  I think I'll wait til about the 20 game mark, so I'm reserving this spot for the next batch of rankings.  This time I think I'll have enough energy to do 15.
9/8/2010 7:18 PM
   Rank Team Record RPI  
1 Greensboro 20-0 (10-0) 1 They just keep on winning and winning.  Chester Perry continues to impress with his 8 points and 5+ assists per game.
2 East Connecticut State 20-0 (10-0) 23 They've scored in triple digits in all but one game and they just beat W. Conn. State.  So yeah, they are really good.
3 Marantha Baptist Bible 19-0 (9-0) 3 Another team that keeps on winning, Eddie Warne has been impressive.
4 Drew 18-1 (9-0) 7  
5 Marietta 17-2 (9-0) 4  
6 Roanoke 17-3 (10-0) 12  
7 New York U 17-3 (10-0) 6  
8 East Oregon 19-0 (10-0) 14  
9 Rowan 17-3 (10-0) 5  
10 Swarthmore 17-2 (9-0) 16  
11 Western Connecticut 17-3 (9-1) 2  
12 Ohio Northern 17-2 (8-1) 10  
13 Randolph-Macon 18-1 (8-1) 22  
14 Alma 16-3 (9-1) 13  
15 Piedmont 16-3 (7-2) 9  

Only the top 3 teams get a mini-profile.  Why?  Because I'm lazy.

9/10/2010 10:12 PM (edited)
More great stuff tk. Keep up the good work.
9/11/2010 3:04 AM
Bravo!
9/11/2010 3:54 PM
1|2|3...8 Next ▸

Search Criteria

Terms of Use Customer Support Privacy Statement

© 1999-2024 WhatIfSports.com, Inc. All rights reserved. WhatIfSports is a trademark of WhatIfSports.com, Inc. SimLeague, SimMatchup and iSimNow are trademarks or registered trademarks of Electronic Arts, Inc. Used under license. The names of actual companies and products mentioned herein may be the trademarks of their respective owners.