Posted by bjken3 on 1/3/2011 10:58:00 PM (view original):
he was on my list too, but i wasnt going to battle a local school for him at distance.

Agreed...Texas-Dallas suprised me by battling for a player out of Texas (talk about battling a local school at distance).  I signed the kid but it zapped most of my extra money.  There was no way I was going to win a recruiting battle in South Dakota if I was contested...and I knew somebody would go after him. 

1/4/2011 12:19 AM
I was surprised that zbrent signed the PF with only 2 scholarships, since both recruits were contested and the PF battle was with a D2 school.
1/5/2011 11:12 AM
I had 3 open spots, just only got 2 guys to sign (because they were battles). Hamline has a walk-on this year.
1/5/2011 12:21 PM
Posted by zbrent716 on 1/5/2011 12:21:00 PM (view original):
I had 3 open spots, just only got 2 guys to sign (because they were battles). Hamline has a walk-on this year.
ic, that makes more sense. I was surprised that you edged out a D2 team, and the PF should be somewhat of a priority for him. 
1/5/2011 2:19 PM
Posted by gomiami1972 on 1/4/2011 12:19:00 AM (view original):
he was on my list too, but i wasnt going to battle a local school for him at distance.

Agreed...Texas-Dallas suprised me by battling for a player out of Texas (talk about battling a local school at distance).  I signed the kid but it zapped most of my extra money.  There was no way I was going to win a recruiting battle in South Dakota if I was contested...and I knew somebody would go after him. 

Taylor was an afterthought with the little money I had left.  Would have liked to have had him but wasn't going to get him unless it was uncontested. Not really a battle, per se.
1/12/2011 8:34 PM
Posted by twiddlebug on 1/12/2011 8:34:00 PM (view original):
Posted by gomiami1972 on 1/4/2011 12:19:00 AM (view original):

Taylor was an afterthought with the little money I had left.  Would have liked to have had him but wasn't going to get him unless it was uncontested. Not really a battle, per se.
Well, it might not have been a battle but it was unfortunate we jumped on him at the same time.  DIII money is too scarce, as you well know.

Taylor had good potential in vital areas...so I assumed you wanted him.  I'm glad you had little money left because I was maxed out on what I would spend.  You pulled out a good-looking recruiting class anyway.
1/13/2011 12:21 AM (edited)
I only did 6 teams because I felt there was clearly 6 top teams and everyone else was way behind these 6 teams.

#1-Greensboro (14-3, #6 WIS, #1 RPI)- The #1 RPI team and the class of d3 over the past 10 seasons is once again at the top.  Greensboro is led by the three-headed monster of Smith, Smith, and Reeves.  They are one of, if not the most, talented team with possibly the best coach.  I put them at #1 because they would be the last team that I would want to play against in the NT.  
Key Wins: vs. Roanoke, @ Elmhurst, vs. Piedmont 

#2-Susquehanna (15-2, #14 WIS, #4 RPI)-They got off to a very hot start to the season, beating what is now the #1 team in Greensboro as well as Rowan.  I almost put them at #1, but I just liked Greensboro's talent a little more.  With Haislip and Andreassen, they are title contenders for sure.  I see them making a deep run into the NT from whichever seed they get (hopefully they're not in my bracket).
Key Wins: vs. Rowan, vs. Greensboro, @ Rhodes

#3-Kalamazoo (17-0, #2 WIS, #3 RPI)-One of the first teams out of the pre-season top 10, Kalamazoo has been extremely impressive this year.  They are one of them six remaining undefeated teams (the only one in this top 10 tho) and if they can beat conference rival Marantha Baptist Bible once in the regular season and once again in the conference tourney, they could easily be undefeated heading into the NT.  Clearly their balanced attack on offense has brought them success.  I'd be scared to play them in the NT.  

#4-Drew (16-1, #4 WIS, #13 RPI)- Another one loss team, their loss came to a good Swarthmore team by 2 in OT.  Using the new team ratings feature I found that Drew is the #1 team in terms of team athleticism, team defense, and #2 in team speed.  With those ingredients, this press team can obviously beat anybody.  The most impressive stat for this Drew team is that they hold their opponents to 9.9 assists per game while forcing them to turn the ball over 22.4 times per game.  Did I mention they only turn the ball over 10.2 times per game (the best in the country)?  I don't think anyone can deny they have the best defense in the country and when you have the best defense and you don't turn the ball over, you are a title threat.  If they start to rebound the ball well, I could see them being the best team in D3.

#5-Hamline (16-1, #1 WIS, #15 RPI)- Although their schedule is a little weak, they have been destroying their opponents; they win by an average of 25 points per game and out shoot them 54% to 40%.  Like Kalamazoo, they have a very balanced attack with seven players between 8.4 and 12.4 ppg.  Normally I wouldn't rank a team this high with this bad of a schedule, but they have shown the ability to beat elite teams and I think their one loss was a fluke.

#6-Marietta (16-1, #3 WIS, #7 RPI)- Their only loss this year came at undefeated Kalamazoo and I really like the talent on their team.  I know it's starting to sound repetitive, but they also have a very balanced scoring attack (maybe they're onto something?).  Their best player is junior SF Ronald Keller, who is scoring very effectively (60%), rebounding, and not turning the ball over.  If Marietta is going to go deep into tournament play, Keller is going to be the one to lead them there.
1/16/2011 12:30 AM
OK, #7 to #5, slowly but surely moving up the rankings. I do wish I'd been around to make my schedule for this season, because I do think we can play with anyone, but I accept that it's less than the other top teams have gone through, so no complaints.

That loss really sticks out like a sore thumb, but it's on the coach more than the players. I tried to get fancy in a game I was heavily favored in and try something new, rather than what had been working. I've assured my team it's not a mistake I'll make again this season.
1/16/2011 1:41 AM
Nice job tkim. Despite a super-tough schedule I'm not sure Greensboro deserves the top spot with 3(now 4) losses. Team isn't firing on all cylinders yet...time to coach 'em up.
1/16/2011 3:42 PM
Good stuff tkimble. I think I Swarthmore drew up the best plan to beat us: foul as often as possible, make my players shoot fts, and watch them miss. 
1/17/2011 11:49 AM
just found this thread. nice work tk
1/17/2011 11:36 PM
pls update tkimble, even though it's clear drew will not be ranked this yr.
2/5/2011 8:44 PM
Don't think I'll update it this year.  I really like doing my recruiting review for my conference and with so many new teams, I won't have time to do it.  If anyone else wants to take over doing this that would be great.
2/5/2011 8:58 PM
Bump. I think I'll restart the D3 rankings if tkimble doesn't mind. 
10/13/2011 10:49 PM
You are definitely welcome to.
10/14/2011 6:17 PM
◂ Prev 1|2|3|4|5|6...8 Next ▸

Search Criteria

Terms of Use Customer Support Privacy Statement

© 1999-2024 WhatIfSports.com, Inc. All rights reserved. WhatIfSports is a trademark of WhatIfSports.com, Inc. SimLeague, SimMatchup and iSimNow are trademarks or registered trademarks of Electronic Arts, Inc. Used under license. The names of actual companies and products mentioned herein may be the trademarks of their respective owners.