recruit distribution data Topic

The formula that I set up using this data to rank schools based on their recruiting territories, gives the following #1 advantaged school at each level:

DIII     Huntingdon
DII     St Joseph's
DIAA     Valparaiso
DIA     Temple

Has anyone else set up a formula for this, and how do your results compare?
5/4/2014 1:16 PM
That looks about right to me, bj, just based off knowledge of this game.

Actually, I find it really interesting that St. Joseph's isn't always associated with the other D2 elite recruiting spots like Humboldt and Valdosta. Could you send me your list of D2 schools, in particular?
5/4/2014 1:21 PM
Posted by bjschumacher on 5/4/2014 1:16:00 PM (view original):
The formula that I set up using this data to rank schools based on their recruiting territories, gives the following #1 advantaged school at each level:

DIII     Huntingdon
DII     St Joseph's
DIAA     Valparaiso
DIA     Temple

Has anyone else set up a formula for this, and how do your results compare?
Can anyone give this same information but maybe go 5-10 deep? Im spreadheet dumb.

EDIT Well it looks like its already done like that.
6/25/2014 4:31 PM (edited)
Posted by headmaxroom on 11/12/2013 2:31:00 PM (view original):
Of course you need to recruit nationally in some positions but you cannot realistically fill all 50 of your roster spots with players that you recruit long distance when you have $3000 per recruit.

Battling has always diminished your cash at all levels and moreso when you have a distance disadvantage but, with smaller per recruit cash allotments, I would have a harder time overcoming that disadvantage at lower levels.

It's not a guarantee that you win championships at those schools or impossible to win at others but I would suggest that recruiting is not as difficult when you have more recruits close by with less schools to fight you for them.

As I said, it's interesting data.
You can recruit long distance and fill your team with quality players at D-III. I won the first ever NC at Amherst and was competitive in the CC in Warner with Ursinus in the good old days, and I recruited no players locally. Of course when the worlds are full and there are no sims, recruiting is a completely different experience.
6/26/2014 9:16 PM
Posted by tianyi7886 on 8/26/2010 3:05:00 PM (view original):
Huntingdon's advantage isn't even fair.
Sweet, picked them before I read this thread!!  Go Hawks!!
10/1/2014 3:10 PM
You would think San Diego would be competitive with San Diego - LA market to pick from and nobody else around except Cal Poly.
7/12/2016 7:19 PM
This post has a rating of , which is below the default threshold.
bump
5/15/2017 1:49 PM
Posted by ebel331 on 7/12/2016 8:06:00 PM (view original):
You should probably note it or something when you just randomly bring back a thread from years ago.

Temple is sooooooooo disrespected. It's maybe the second best school to coach in the game after Penn State and yet it's even SimAI in 'the most full world ever' Wilkinson lol
Temple and Uconn share so many 180 recruits. You have to consider Uconn a good place to coach.
Also Maryland and Boston College share many of the Uconn/Temple recruits North and South respectively.
5/15/2017 2:46 PM
The problem with Temple is that it is in the middle of the best recruit distribution but is surrounded by many other d1 programs that restrict its zone of distance advantage. It's zone of exclusive territory is non existent. Everyone has a shot at a Phily recruit. They are in the 180 of both Uconn and Rutgers. Anything good out west gets taken my Penn St and the leftovers Pitt, up north B.C. dominates, and south Maryland, Virginia, Virginia Tech, and even North Carolina are going to battle. With no elite advantage Temple loses all those battles. I coach Rutgers and its is the same way. It is hard to protect recruits that are 45 miles away!
5/15/2017 4:19 PM
Posted by ebel331 on 5/15/2017 5:52:00 PM (view original):
I understand all that... but Temple and Penn St are basically in the same location. One is the consensus best job in the game that people race to get and the other is usually empty. As always, I find the deference given to elite status amazingly overblown.
Perception is reality... or, perhaps, becomes reality.

If you're at, say... oh, I don't know... Rutgers in Dobie, and none of the other Northeast coaches battle Penn State for *any* players, then when you go battle Penn State, even with your two consecutive NCs and a two-scholarship advantage and distance parity, you STILL get your pants beaten off.

I know you know why. For the sake of others: It's because not only is PSU spending less on the recruit that you're battling for (to achieve the same effort), but also PSU spent less on EVERY recruit he's also got green. And all that extra money goes right into the battle with your poor Rutgers squad.

Ask me how I know. Or don't, actually. I'll be over here rubbing my scars thoughtfully.
5/15/2017 6:27 PM
Interesting data. This doesn't tell the full story of northeast recruiting. I just concern myself with recruits worth signing, not the entire pool The rest is just background noise.

I coach a Boston College team, there are 14-18 "takes" in my 180 mile vision each season. Those are almost always in Uconn's 180 mile vision, too. If we split those 8 apiece, I am then looking at my 181-360 range for 4 or 5 recruits that are "takes", but they are all under 180 miles for Rutgers, Temple, Syracuse, Army among others. And then there is Penn State. The success of my class always depends on quality of any recruits I get over 360 that ended up available, whether I end up with cash to win a battle or two on 180-360 mile recruits, but mostly, the distribution of those 14-18 recruits within 180 by position compared to the positions I need. 4 OL "takes" within 180 makes it easier to get 2 than if there is only 2 "takes" available. The failure of my class I measure on the low end, how many I sign that aren't "takes", usually because I just had to win a battle somewhere else.

In DII, 1400 miles can be key. My Missouri Western State team has a lot of good Cali recruits visible just under 1400, which are over 360 from Humboldt. Other DII teams just a little east of me will be just over 1400 from them. It's a nice advantage. If you have max vision in DII, recruits under 1400 is what gives you fall back options and enables you to battle for elite recruits.
5/5/2020 3:01 AM
◂ Prev 12345 Next ▸
recruit distribution data Topic

Search Criteria

Terms of Use Customer Support Privacy Statement

© 1999-2024 WhatIfSports.com, Inc. All rights reserved. WhatIfSports is a trademark of WhatIfSports.com, Inc. SimLeague, SimMatchup and iSimNow are trademarks or registered trademarks of Electronic Arts, Inc. Used under license. The names of actual companies and products mentioned herein may be the trademarks of their respective owners.