Hamline Info Topic

This post has a rating of , which is below the default threshold.
Name Yr. Pos. A SPD REB DE BLK LP PE BH P WE ST DU FT TOT
Joseph Wilson Sr. SG 59 72 35 54 18 1 87 73 68 73 76 75 A- 691
Ronald Matias Sr. SG 83 47 2 90 4 33 75 54 39 62 89 69 B- 647
Joe Gardener Sr. C 32 12 99 40 72 66 1 10 23 83 90 99 B- 627
Keneth James Jr. PG 89 40 35 81 21 47 2 38 45 65 74 85 B+ 622
John Hough Sr. PG 79 60 1 91 6 1 27 95 85 65 79 32 B 621
James Saltzman So. PF 59 46 52 61 38 59 32 27 14 68 62 61 B- 579
Francis Beck Sr. SF 54 54 25 47 15 23 66 41 53 35 83 79 C 575
Carl Barker Fr. PG 46 65 1 39 1 32 38 40 35 39 69 56 C+ 461
Averages - - 63 50 31 63 22 33 41 47 45 61 78 70 - 603
1/30/2011 4:37 AM
hamline sucks. go St. Johns!
1/30/2011 10:48 PM
That's not what John St. Clair said.  
2/1/2011 6:29 AM
Name Year Pos School A SPD REB DE BLK LP PE BH P WE ST DU FT TOT
1. Joseph Wilson Sr. SG Hamline 59 72 35 54 18 1 87 73 68 73 76 75 A- 691
2. Ronald Matias Sr. SG Hamline 83 47 2 90 4 33 75 54 39 62 89 69 B- 647
3. Joe Gardener Sr. C Hamline 32 12 99 40 72 66 1 10 23 83 90 99 B- 627
4. Keneth James Jr. PG Hamline 89 40 35 81 21 47 2 38 45 65 74 85 B+ 622
5. John Hough Sr. PG Hamline 79 60 1 91 6 1 27 95 85 65 79 32 B 621
6. Gary Gilman Sr. C St. Mary's (MN) 58 15 86 53 70 52 1 23 6 81 77 99 B- 621
7. Lawrence Thompson Sr. PF Carleton 41 44 87 34 49 98 4 7 2 78 70 99 B- 613
8. James Saltzman So. PF Hamline 59 46 52 61 38 59 32 27 14 68 62 61 B- 579
9. Francis Beck Sr. SF Hamline 54 54 25 47 15 23 66 41 53 35 83 79 C 575
10. George Jackson Sr. SF Concordia, Moorhead 51 42 34 62 43 9 49 43 38 43 77 83 C+ 574

Top 10 returning players (by overall rating) in the Minn. IAC for S54.
2/1/2011 6:57 AM
Thomas Kent
PG | 5'9" | 178 lbs. | 3.1 GPA
Greenbush-Middle River HS | Greenbush, MN

Potential
  Current
Rating
Potential     Current
Rating
Potential
Athleticism 28 Average   Perimeter 49 High
Speed 74 High   Ball Handling 54 High
Rebounding 1 Low   Passing 38 High
Defense 21 Average   Stamina 69 Average
Shot Blocking 1 Low   Durability 35 High
Low-post 1 Low   FT Shooting   High

Coach, just flew back from my evaluation visit of Thomas Kent.
Weather was much nicer than I expected, but still no Vegas.
Anyway, knowing what I know about DIII basketball, here were some of the observations I jotted down as I watched him play:

- It's like he's never been taught basic defensive fundamentals - I'd expect to see decent improvement.
- Just doesn't have a good instinct for blocking shots - very little room for growth.
- Really poor rebounding fundamentals - probably not going to see much improvement.
- Excellent outside shooter - I see such solid fundamentals that with enough practice I don't see why he can't be a *significantly* better shooter than he is today..

Looks like the team primarily plays runs a flex offense. Nothing remarkable about his knowledge of the flex.

Defensively, they played mostly a halfcourt press/zone. Based on their sets, he seemed like he knew where to be while running zone, but there were a couple of times he was out of position. Based on their sets, he seemed like he knew where to be while running press, but there were a couple of times he was out of position.

Overall, I think he'll be a solid Division II player. Can't see many of the big boys up in D1 going after him.

BTW, I think we're going to have to wait on him. He seems enamored with the big conference schools - if they pass we have a shot.

Theron Henry
Head Assistant Coach
Hamline

Nice trip although my rental car was a minivan - sexy.
Anyway, knowing what I know about DIII basketball, here were some of the observations I jotted down as I watched him play:

- Excellent ball handling skills - he has the raw skills to make me think he has *tremendous* upside.
- Just doesn't have a good instinct for blocking shots - very little room for growth.
- Great speed at his position - with the right diet and conditioning he could be MUCH quicker than he is today.
- Above average student in the classroom and on the court.

Looks like the team primarily plays runs a flex offense. Pretty typical of most players that age in terms of understanding the flex. Nothing really stuck out or raised any concerns.

Defensively, they played mostly a halfcourt press/zone. Pretty typical of most players that age in terms of understanding the zone. Nothing really stuck out or raised any concerns. Nothing remarkable about his knowledge of the press.

Also, I saw him put up a shot over a double-team when he had two guys WIDE open. He reminded me of a slightly less hairy TeenWolf.

Overall, I think he'll be a solid Division II player. Can't see many of the big boys up in D1 going after him.

Theron Henry
Head Assistant Coach
Hamline

Weather was much worse than I expected, that Vegas trip seems like a long time ago now.

- It's like he's never been taught basic defensive fundamentals - I'd expect to see decent improvement.
- Has nothing inside unless he beats his defender off the dribble - don't see much more upside.
- Great speed at his position - with the right diet and conditioning he could be MUCH quicker than he is today.

Looks like the team primarily plays runs a flex offense. Nothing remarkable about his knowledge of the flex.

Defensively, they played mostly a halfcourt press/zone. Pretty typical of most players that age in terms of understanding the zone. Nothing really stuck out or raised any concerns. Based on their sets, he seemed like he knew where to be while running press, but there were a couple of times he was out of position.

On a side note, I saw him put up a shot over a double-team when he had two guys WIDE open. He reminded me of a slightly less hairy TeenWolf.

Theron Henry
Head Assistant Coach
Hamline

- Excellent ball handling skills - he has the raw skills to make me think he has *tremendous* upside.
- Just average from the line - the fundamentals look solid, with time and coaching, he could really show some improvement.
- Really poor rebounding fundamentals - probably not going to see much improvement.
- Can tire late in the game - we should be able to improve his endurance with our training program.

Defensively, they played mostly a halfcourt press/zone. Based on their sets, he seemed like he knew where to be while running zone, but there were a couple of times he was out of position. Based on their sets, he seemed like he knew where to be while running press, but there were a couple of times he was out of position.

FYI, I saw him put up a shot over a double-team when he had two guys WIDE open. He reminded me of a slightly less hairy TeenWolf.

BTW, based on the other coaches that were there, I'd say the only realistic shot we have is if his top choices pass on him.

Theron Henry
Head Assistant Coach
Hamline

The trip was a nightmare, but what's new?

- Just average from the line - the fundamentals look solid, with time and coaching, he could really show some improvement.
- Outstanding court vision and passing ability - with more experience I expect to see TREMENDOUS improvement.
- Excellent outside shooter - I see such solid fundamentals that with enough practice I don't see why he can't be a *significantly* better shooter than he is today..

Looks like the team primarily plays runs a flex offense. Based on their sets, he seemed like he knew where to be while running flex, but there were a couple of times he was out of position.

Also, he did tell me that the only reason he got that new tattoo was so he'd have the biggest tattoo on the team. Silly, eh?

BTW, I think we're going to have to wait on him. He seems enamored with the big conference schools - if they pass we have a shot.

Theron Henry
Head Assistant Coach
Hamline

- Has nothing inside unless he beats his defender off the dribble - don't see much more upside.

Also, I saw him put up a shot over a double-team when he had two guys WIDE open. He reminded me of a slightly less hairy TeenWolf.

I've been doing this a long time, based on the other coaches in attendance and what I was hearing in the gym, we really don't have a shot unless he gets passed over by the 'big boys'.

Theron Henry
Head Assistant Coach
Hamline

Weather was much worse than I expected, that Vegas trip seems like a long time ago now.

Looks like the team primarily plays runs a flex offense. Pretty typical of most players that age in terms of understanding the flex.

Defensively, they played mostly a halfcourt press/zone. Nothing remarkable about his knowledge of the zone. Nothing remarkable about his knowledge of the press.

Somewhat related, I saw him put up a shot over a double-team when he had two guys WIDE open. He reminded me of a slightly less hairy TeenWolf.

Theron Henry
Head Assistant Coach
Hamline

- Definitely wasn't the best athlete on the floor - with the right lifting/conditioning program, he could improve.
- Outstanding court vision and passing ability - with more experience I expect to see TREMENDOUS improvement.

I have some good news and some bad news. Good news is that Thomas Kent will fit into our program and better yet, he appears to be very interested in Hamline. Oh wait, I guess there is no bad news.

Theron Henry
Head Assistant Coach
Hamline

Defensively, they played mostly a halfcourt press/zone. Nothing remarkable about his knowledge of the zone. Pretty typical of most players that age in terms of understanding the press. Nothing really stuck out or raised any concerns.

BTW, I gave him a thumbs up after he made a great play, he gave me a big smile - I really think he'll be playing for us next year.

Theron Henry
Head Assistant Coach
Hamline

Date Description Cost
2/1/2011 scouting trips - (2) $568  
2/1/2011 phone call $10  
2/1/2011 phone call $10  
2/1/2011 scholarship offer $100  
2/1/2011 scouting trip $284  
2/1/2011 phone call $10  
2/1/2011 scouting trip $284  
2/1/2011 letter $15  
2/1/2011 phone call $10  
1/31/2011 scouting trip $284  
1/31/2011 letter $15  
1/31/2011 phone call $10  
1/31/2011 phone call $10  
1/30/2011 Added to Watch List N/A  
  Total $2,746
2/3/2011 12:56 PM (edited)
Edward Hilley
C | 7'0" | 238 lbs. | 2.5 GPA
North HS | Oshkosh, WI

Potential
  Current
Rating
Potential     Current
Rating
Potential
Athleticism 51 Average   Perimeter 1 Low
Speed 5 Low   Ball Handling 14 High
Rebounding 58 High   Passing 17 Low
Defense 35 High   Stamina 53 High
Shot Blocking 63 High   Durability 40 Average
Low-post 63 Low   FT Shooting   Low

Coach, just flew back from my evaluation visit of Edward Hilley.

- Defensive fundamentals need work - I really think we could see massive improvement by his Senior year.
- Great shotblocking instincts and fundamentals - he's shown glimpses of raw ability which make me think he just has *tremendous* room for improvement.
- Slow - needs a lot of work on foot speed - probably not going see much improvement from where he is.
- Needs aerobic conditioning. Tires easily - with the right diet and drills, I think we can see a *dramatic* change in his conditioning.

Defensively, they played mostly a halfcourt press/zone. Pretty typical of most players that age in terms of understanding the zone. Nothing remarkable about his knowledge of the press.

Overall, I think he's got what it takes to be a DII All-American before all is said and done. He could contribute at DI with a maybe a redshirt season under his belt.

Theron Henry
Head Assistant Coach
Hamline

- Good athleticism - with the right lifting/conditioning program, he could improve.
- Good free throw mechanics - I'm not anticipating seeing much improvement.
- Fantastic rebounding instincts - based on my experience, he can still improve substantially if we work with him and he's willing.
- Needs aerobic conditioning. Tires easily - with the right diet and drills, I think we can see a *dramatic* change in his conditioning.

Defensively, they played mostly a halfcourt press/zone. Pretty typical of most players that age in terms of understanding the zone. Nothing remarkable about his knowledge of the press.

Overall, I think he's got what it takes to be a DII All-American before all is said and done. He could contribute at DI with a maybe a redshirt season under his belt.

Theron Henry
Head Assistant Coach
Hamline

- Good athleticism - with the right lifting/conditioning program, he could improve.
- Great shotblocking instincts and fundamentals - he's shown glimpses of raw ability which make me think he just has *tremendous* room for improvement.
- Slow - needs a lot of work on foot speed - probably not going see much improvement from where he is.
- Looks very uncomfortable facing the basket - I'm just not sure we're going to be able to help him get much better.

Looks like the team primarily plays runs a triangle offense. Pretty typical of most players that age in terms of understanding the triangle.

Defensively, they played mostly a halfcourt press/zone. Based on their sets, he seemed like he knew where to be while running zone, but there were a couple of times he was out of position. Nothing remarkable about his knowledge of the press.

BTW, they were playing on the road and the fans were all over him - he was completely unfazed. Amazing considering some of the crap they were saying.

Theron Henry
Head Assistant Coach
Hamline

- Didn't look very comfortable at times handling the ball - with the right drills and assuming he's willing to put in the time, I see big upside.
- Decent passer - I don't think we're going to be able to get much more out of him.
- Below average student in the classroom and on the court.

Looks like the team primarily plays runs a triangle offense. Pretty typical of most players that age in terms of understanding the triangle.

Somewhat related, he did tell me that the only reason he got that new tattoo was so he'd have the biggest tattoo on the team. Silly, eh?

I've been doing this a long time, based on the other coaches in attendance and what I was hearing in the gym, we really don't have a shot unless he gets passed over by the 'big boys'.

Theron Henry
Head Assistant Coach
Hamline

- Defensive fundamentals need work - I really think we could see massive improvement by his Senior year.
- Decent passer - I don't think we're going to be able to get much more out of him.

Looks like the team primarily plays runs a triangle offense. Pretty typical of most players that age in terms of understanding the triangle. Nothing really stuck out or raised any concerns.

Defensively, they played mostly a halfcourt press/zone. Pretty typical of most players that age in terms of understanding the zone. Based on their sets, he seemed like he knew where to be while running press, but there were a couple of times he was out of position.

Somewhat related, he was sporting a pretty high dollar throwback jersey after the game. Seems like he's really into the material world.

Theron Henry
Head Assistant Coach
Hamline

- Fantastic rebounding instincts - based on my experience, he can still improve substantially if we work with him and he's willing.

Defensively, they played mostly a halfcourt press/zone. Nothing remarkable about his knowledge of the zone. Pretty typical of most players that age in terms of understanding the press.

BTW, he did tell me that the only reason he got that new tattoo was so he'd have the biggest tattoo on the team. Silly, eh?

Theron Henry
Head Assistant Coach
Hamline

Looks like the team primarily plays runs a triangle offense. Nothing remarkable about his knowledge of the triangle.

Also, he did tell me that the only reason he got that new tattoo was so he'd have the biggest tattoo on the team. Silly, eh?

Theron Henry
Head Assistant Coach
Hamline

- Good free throw mechanics - I'm not anticipating seeing much improvement.

Looks like the team primarily plays runs a triangle offense. Based on their sets, he seemed like he knew where to be while running triangle, but there were a couple of times he was out of position.

Defensively, they played mostly a halfcourt press/zone. Based on their sets, he seemed like he knew where to be while running zone, but there were a couple of times he was out of position. Nothing remarkable about his knowledge of the press.

BTW, they were playing on the road and the fans were all over him - he was completely unfazed. Amazing considering some of the crap they were saying.

Theron Henry
Head Assistant Coach
Hamline

- Didn't look very comfortable at times handling the ball - with the right drills and assuming he's willing to put in the time, I see big upside.
- Very hard to stop inside - don't see much more upside.
- Looks very uncomfortable facing the basket - I'm just not sure we're going to be able to help him get much better.

Looks like the team primarily plays runs a triangle offense. Nothing remarkable about his knowledge of the triangle.

Defensively, they played mostly a halfcourt press/zone. Nothing remarkable about his knowledge of the zone. Based on their sets, he seemed like he knew where to be while running press, but there were a couple of times he was out of position.

On a side note, he was sporting a pretty high dollar throwback jersey after the game. Seems like he's really into the material world.

BTW, I saw the list of other coaches that were at the game and he's definitely in our league - just have keep after him and we can land him.

Theron Henry
Head Assistant Coach
Hamline

Date Description Cost
2/2/2011 scouting trip $272  
2/2/2011 phone call $10  
2/1/2011 scouting trip $272  
2/1/2011 phone call $10  
2/1/2011 phone call $10  
2/1/2011 scouting trips - (2) $544  
2/1/2011 phone call $10  
2/1/2011 scouting trips - (2) $544  
2/1/2011 phone call $10  
2/1/2011 call current coach $10  
2/1/2011 phone call $10  
2/1/2011 phone call $10  
2/1/2011 phone call $10  
1/31/2011 phone call $10  
1/26/2011 Added to Watch List N/A  
  Total $2,648
2/3/2011 12:55 PM (edited)
For Kent, the speed potential message you got is actually low-high.  The high-high message looks like this: - Great speed at his position - if he works hard at it, we could see *massive* improvement here.  
2/3/2011 12:23 AM
Posted by tkimble on 2/3/2011 12:23:00 AM (view original):
For Kent, the speed potential message you got is actually low-high.  The high-high message looks like this: - Great speed at his position - if he works hard at it, we could see *massive* improvement here.  
Good to know, thanks.

Is the low-high 20-29 range? So he should at least hit mid-90s either way?
2/3/2011 1:08 AM
John St. Clair
C | 6'8" | 224 lbs. | 2.2 GPA
Eden Prairie HS | Eden Prairie, MN

Potential
  Current
Rating
Potential     Current
Rating
Potential
Athleticism 60 Average   Perimeter 14 High
Speed 17 Low   Ball Handling 14 High
Rebounding 50 High   Passing 8 High
Defense 51 Average   Stamina 51 High
Shot Blocking 46 High   Durability 51 Low
Low-post 46 High   FT Shooting   High

Coach, just flew back from my evaluation visit of John St. Clair.
Nice trip although my rental car was a minivan - sexy.

- Pretty good understanding how to play defense - I'd expect to see decent improvement.
- Poor court vision/passing skills - with more experience I expect to see TREMENDOUS improvement.

Looks like the team primarily plays runs a triangle offense. Based on their sets, he seemed like he knew where to be while running triangle, but there were a couple of times he was out of position. 

Defensively, they played mostly a fullcourt press. Nothing remarkable about his knowledge of the press. 

On a side note, I sat next to his girlfriend's mother at the game and she really loves him. Couldn't talk enough about how much of a gentleman he was.

Theron Henry
Head Assistant Coach
Hamline

- Pretty good understanding how to play defense - I'd expect to see decent improvement.
- Fantastic rebounding instincts - there's no reason to NOT expect HUGE improvement here.

Defensively, they played mostly a fullcourt press. Pretty typical of most players that age in terms of understanding the press. 

Also, we were walking out of the game and he found a $20 bill on the ground. Whereas I would have stuffed it into my pocket and given it up later for a lap dance, he took it to the lost and found.

Theron Henry
Head Assistant Coach
Hamline

- Didn't look very comfortable at times handling the ball - he has the raw skills to make me think he has *tremendous* upside.
- Runs the court very well - probably not going see much improvement from where he is.

Defensively, they played mostly a fullcourt press. Based on their sets, he seemed like he knew where to be while running press, but there were a couple of times he was out of position.

Somewhat related, we were walking out of the game and he found a $20 bill on the ground. Whereas I would have stuffed it into my pocket and given it up later for a lap dance, he took it to the lost and found.

Theron Henry
Head Assistant Coach
Hamline

- Very hard to stop inside - sky's the limit.
- Poor court vision/passing skills - with more experience I expect to see TREMENDOUS improvement.

Looks like the team primarily plays runs a triangle offense. Pretty typical of most players that age in terms of understanding the triangle. Nothing really stuck out or raised any concerns.

Defensively, they played mostly a fullcourt press. Pretty typical of most players that age in terms of understanding the press.

FYI, I sat next to his girlfriend's mother at the game and she really loves him. Couldn't talk enough about how much of a gentleman he was.

Theron Henry
Head Assistant Coach
Hamline

- Fantastic rebounding instincts - there's no reason to NOT expect HUGE improvement here.
- Outside shot can be inconsistent and I know this may sound crazy, but I think he has the potential to really improve his shot.

Also, we were walking out of the game and he found a $20 bill on the ground. Whereas I would have stuffed it into my pocket and given it up later for a lap dance, he took it to the lost and found.

Now don't hate me, but his dad wouldn't leave me alone and wanted to know how serious we were about his boy. I told him 'very' and he just about jumped out of the gym. One happy dude!

Theron Henry
Head Assistant Coach
Hamline

- Outside shot can be inconsistent and I know this may sound crazy, but I think he has the potential to really improve his shot.

Defensively, they played mostly a fullcourt press. Nothing remarkable about his knowledge of the press.

Also, I sat next to his girlfriend's mother at the game and she really loves him. Couldn't talk enough about how much of a gentleman he was.

Theron Henry
Head Assistant Coach
Hamline

Also, I sat next to his girlfriend's mother at the game and she really loves him. Couldn't talk enough about how much of a gentleman he was.

I left the usual Hamline materials with his head coach and he was very appreciative. Looks like if we play our cards right, we'll have another signee soon.

Theron Henry
Head Assistant Coach
Hamline

...and boy are my arms tired - jk.

- Runs the court very well - probably not going see much improvement from where he is.

Defensively, they played mostly a fullcourt press. Based on their sets, he seemed like he knew where to be while running press, but there were a couple of times he was out of position.

On a side note, we were walking out of the game and he found a $20 bill on the ground. Whereas I would have stuffed it into my pocket and given it up later for a lap dance, he took it to the lost and found.

Theron Henry
Head Assistant Coach
Hamline

On a side note, I sat next to his girlfriend's mother at the game and she really loves him. Couldn't talk enough about how much of a gentleman he was.

Theron Henry
Head Assistant Coach
Hamline

BTW, we were walking out of the game and he found a $20 bill on the ground. Whereas I would have stuffed it into my pocket and given it up later for a lap dance, he took it to the lost and found.

Theron Henry
Head Assistant Coach
Hamline

Defensively, they played mostly a fullcourt press. Pretty typical of most players that age in terms of understanding the press. Nothing really stuck out or raised any concerns.

BTW, he received a technical foul in the game I was at for arguing with the officials. Reminded me of Tony Soprano with that short fuse. Did you see season 5 yet?

Just my gut here, but I think he's really a fan of Hamline. Keep on him and I think we'll get him to sign.

Theron Henry
Head Assistant Coach
Hamline

2/2/2011 phone call $10  
2/1/2011 phone call $10  
2/1/2011 home visit $303  
2/1/2011 phone call $10  
2/1/2011 home visit $303  
2/1/2011 phone call $10  
2/1/2011 campus visit $802  
2/1/2011 home visit $303  
2/1/2011 scouting trips - (3) $459  
2/1/2011 letter $15  
2/1/2011 phone call $10  
2/1/2011 home visit $303  
2/1/2011 scouting trips - (2) $306  
2/1/2011 letter $15  
1/31/2011 scouting trips - (5) $765  
1/31/2011 letter $15  
1/31/2011 phone call $10  
1/31/2011 call current coach $10  
1/31/2011 scouting trips - (2) $306  
1/31/2011 letter $15  
1/31/2011 phone call $10  
1/31/2011 phone call $10  
1/8/2011 Added to Watch List N/A  
  Total $4,100

2/3/2011 12:54 PM (edited)
Posted by zbrent716 on 2/3/2011 1:08:00 AM (view original):
Posted by tkimble on 2/3/2011 12:23:00 AM (view original):
Good to know, thanks.

Is the low-high 20-29 range? So he should at least hit mid-90s either way?
Yea, it'd be hard to have 30+ point improvement with only 26 points to improve..
2/3/2011 11:43 PM
Jack Waddell:
athleticism: limited upside
speed: big upside
rebounding: limited upside
low post moves: big upside
perimeter shooting: limited upside
ball handling: big upside
passing: big upside
durability: limited upside
ft shooting: limited upside
2/6/2011 3:27 AM
◂ Prev 1|2|3|4...17 Next ▸
Hamline Info Topic

Search Criteria

Terms of Use Customer Support Privacy Statement

© 1999-2024 WhatIfSports.com, Inc. All rights reserved. WhatIfSports is a trademark of WhatIfSports.com, Inc. SimLeague, SimMatchup and iSimNow are trademarks or registered trademarks of Electronic Arts, Inc. Used under license. The names of actual companies and products mentioned herein may be the trademarks of their respective owners.