complete dominance? Topic

I only play OLs, and I often see that one or maybe two teams dominate the standings.  Given that the $80 million cap requires tradeoffs between pitching and hitting, usually the dominate teams are the best pitching teams, with decent offenses.

How difficult would it be to create an OL team that leads league in scoring, fewest earned runs allowed, and perhaps most "+" plays and fewest "-" plays as well?  Essentially #1 in all offense, pitching and defense?

10/3/2010 2:47 PM
Of course, if somebody had a method to do that consistently, I doubt that person would spill the beans.  I don't think mathematics allows anybody to do that, anyway.
10/3/2010 4:01 PM
I'd say it depends on the luck of the draw. If you're placed ina league with the right 23 other teams in can be done. I've led theme leagues in both runs scored and fewest runs given up, but theme leagues tend to have fewer extreme teams. If you're in an OL with some extreme hitting teams and some extreme pitching teams it may be impossible to lead the league in both.
10/3/2010 4:05 PM
I have led the league in runs scored and (fewest) runs allowed once or twice, but I am unsure of fielding.  But, in any case, that was before the last update (Oct 2009- I think).  Now unless you are in an extremely bad league, it would be close to impossible to lead the league in both run creation and run prevention.  Adding defense to the mix makes it even less likely.
10/3/2010 6:27 PM
Good defense is so expensive, it seems virtually impossible in OL play.
10/3/2010 7:26 PM
What if the team played in Coors? 
10/4/2010 1:02 AM
About 2 years ago I tinkered with an OL team in AFCS until I found the right combination...used them a couple of times and at least once led the league in RS, fewest RA, most HR, and fewest HRA.  I don't remember how they were defensively, but it really doesn't matter to me.  I would not expect them to have led the league in fielding or + plays, but there D was good enough to allow them to lead the league in fewest RA.

With salary adjustments, it's impossible to put that team together anymore in an OL (1991 Tony Phillips, for example, is much more expensive than he used to be).  It would be interesting to see if it could still be done with a different combination of players...and if it can, my money is on zubinsum to be the one to pull it off.
10/4/2010 6:34 AM
my current OL team is #2 in scoring, #3 in runs allowed, 1st in most "+" plays and fewest "-" plays....i expected the team to do well at-bat and in the field, but never expected to be much better than average in era, especially playing at Coors.

home era of 4.65 is about right, what i don't get is the road era of 2.07!!!! 

Overall, though, the team doesn't have the best record in the league, so clearly no dominance here.

10/4/2010 4:06 PM (edited)
I just had a team win 119 games in an OL. I threw away 7 games at the end, so something like 124 wins was a possibility if I just wanted to win as many reg season games as I could. Led the league in runs scored by a large margin. Maybe 150 or so runs more than 2nd place. Runs given up was 4th before I threw games away...My ERA was actually the lowest, but it was a high plus play, high error defense. So, ya I guess its possible. As long as nobody spends more than 43mil on pitching or offense, and your team kicks butt.
10/4/2010 6:10 PM
Does anyone really care about this?  So you do all 3 and get beat in the first round....what would it matter...hahah.
10/4/2010 8:51 PM
Posted by The_Creeper on 10/4/2010 8:51:00 PM (view original):
Does anyone really care about this?  So you do all 3 and get beat in the first round....what would it matter...hahah.
So nice of you to join the thread. Now if you'd only check your grumpiness at the door...
10/5/2010 10:56 AM
The point is valid, however. I just finished a progressive season where the AL had a 120 win team that spent time as the #1 overall team in the top 25 before fading in the last 30 games. The NL had a team that finished #1 in the top 25 with 131 wins (WOW!). Both teams were in the top 3 in offense and pitching. Guess which one won the world series? That's right - neither.
10/5/2010 2:02 PM
Posted by mattedesa on 10/5/2010 2:02:00 PM (view original):
The point is valid, however. I just finished a progressive season where the AL had a 120 win team that spent time as the #1 overall team in the top 25 before fading in the last 30 games. The NL had a team that finished #1 in the top 25 with 131 wins (WOW!). Both teams were in the top 3 in offense and pitching. Guess which one won the world series? That's right - neither.
Statistically speaking, having the best record in the regular season - not winning championship - is a much better indicator of which team is best.
11/17/2010 2:17 PM
Posted by napolean on 11/17/2010 3:27:00 PM (view original):
Right, and the 2010 SF Giants were the best team in baseball. That's a thigh slapper....
To quote Jim Rome :

"Scoreboard"
11/17/2010 3:42 PM
complete dominance? Topic

Search Criteria

Terms of Use Customer Support Privacy Statement

© 1999-2024 WhatIfSports.com, Inc. All rights reserved. WhatIfSports is a trademark of WhatIfSports.com, Inc. SimLeague, SimMatchup and iSimNow are trademarks or registered trademarks of Electronic Arts, Inc. Used under license. The names of actual companies and products mentioned herein may be the trademarks of their respective owners.