Favorite Themes Topic

We had the thread recently lamenting the slow-filling themes. It got me thinking about the favorite theme leagues I've been in.

Screw Your Neighbor - A theme where you build he worst team possible (within a few guidelines), and it gets randomly assigned to another user in the league. You get someone else's pile of trash and see what you can make of it.

Build-a-Bear - Each person entering the league made up one rule for selecting your players - you must use Ted Williams; no pitchers before 1950; one guy on your team must be named "Ed", etc. Making it all fit was a good challenge.

Progressive Eliminator - An 8-season progressive where the worst 2 or 4 teams get eliminated from the league each season. The league keeps shrinking until the final season where there are only 14 teams remaining. We're in the second season right now and have gone from 30 to 28 teams so far.

The Two-Man Band - Each player picks one unique batter and one unique pitcher. You draft enough clones of each to fill out every position on your team. This just started up, and the box scores are great fun to look at. 48-18 with 9 errors and 11 passed balls? Ty Cobb hits a triple, Ty Cobb, Ty Cobb, and Ty Cobb all score?

What are your favorite themes you've ever played in?
11/15/2010 8:39 AM
One just filled in less than 48 hours. 24 Exstream Themes.  You have a list of about 80 themes to choose from and you pick one and it is exclusive to you that season. It is my first year in the elague and it seems pretty fun.
11/15/2010 10:14 AM
I like ones where you get to pick your own AAA players.  Being from Vegas, I know about luck of the draw
11/15/2010 10:22 AM
Posted by truemen on 11/15/2010 10:14:00 AM (view original):
One just filled in less than 48 hours. 24 Exstream Themes.  You have a list of about 80 themes to choose from and you pick one and it is exclusive to you that season. It is my first year in the elague and it seems pretty fun.
I've played 24 X a lot (taking a break from it right now), and agree it's a lot of fun.  I'm a sucker for random leagues, and play in just about all of those I can find.  Far and away my favorite theme is Dodgeball; in the current version the regular season is winding down so another should be starting in afew weeks.
11/15/2010 11:37 AM
I think I will start up a Screw Your Neighbor up soon....it has been awhile.

I  like short tournaments ...the progressive eliminator is awesome...I look forward to playing something similar again.
11/15/2010 11:58 AM
clk used to run "The League that Broke the Sim."  Talk about crooked scores.  The goal was to try and get 255 runs which apparently is the magic number in Computer terms (someone smarter than me can interject).  You would get like 5 pitchers and they would be gassed after the first game for the rest of the season.  You could take whomever you wanted on Offense.  It was crazy and the box scored could be tiresome.
11/15/2010 12:16 PM
Failure Gets You 7 leagues. The idea is to lose all your games within a set of rules. Harder then it sounds when everyone else is doing it.
11/15/2010 12:49 PM
I gotta say, although Ted Williams might set some all-time record for passed balls for me, Two Man Band is shaping up to me my favorite theme ever.
11/15/2010 1:39 PM
I am in the Dodgeball League with pinotfan right now and it has been a lot of fun.

The Exclusive Ownership league (run by donburgh recently) is among my favorite recurring leagues, as is CLWECW's 24 Extreme Themes ($120M and $140M, I've played 24 seasons between the two caps), and TBill7's Free Speech leagues.

Another of my favorites is also a league I run, the $120M Choose Your Own Theme league.  Similar to (and inspired by) the 24 Extreme Themes, except owners can create their own themes each season.  Season IV will be starting up soon.
11/15/2010 5:15 PM
futurekid's original league.  Perhaps not the most complex/wacky thing ever, just a team twist (plus one free agent) league... but it has it's own web site, has been running for 25 seasons, and the Owner's Forum is always active and entertaining. It's one of a handful of leagues I still religiously play.  Maybe one day I will actually win a World Series there.  Sad as it sounds, after 24 seasons (I missed season 1), it's one of my main goals in life.
11/16/2010 12:00 AM
My favorite reoccurring theme leagues:

Failure Gets You 7 (FGY7)
Screw Your Neighbor (SYN)
Exclusive Ownership (EO)
Hockeyhead's Decade Franchise Leagues

My favorite types of one-off leagues:
$40-60m cap leagues with little to no AAA.

My favorite reoccurring leagues from the past:
Devious Weasles
How Low Can You Go (HLCYG)
Variable Cap
11/16/2010 1:26 AM
Just won a game 75-4 in the two man band league: whatifsports.com/slb/Boxscore.aspx
11/16/2010 9:38 AM
tdoak random player leagues are a lot of fun,
11/17/2010 7:05 AM
I  like the Random themes

I've only played in one $60 million theme but I'd like to play in more, it was fun using guys that I  normally wouldn't use
11/20/2010 9:32 PM
always like to play in pick you own AAA leagues, and also "decade teams" where all the players you build your team around come from a single decade.
11/23/2010 10:53 AM
12 Next ▸
Favorite Themes Topic

Search Criteria

Terms of Use Customer Support Privacy Statement

© 1999-2024 WhatIfSports.com, Inc. All rights reserved. WhatIfSports is a trademark of WhatIfSports.com, Inc. SimLeague, SimMatchup and iSimNow are trademarks or registered trademarks of Electronic Arts, Inc. Used under license. The names of actual companies and products mentioned herein may be the trademarks of their respective owners.