How to build a strong bullpen? Topic

thanks Bilfert. unfortunately I have a better chance of being long-winded than being right.

but if you can take away from this that it isn't cost-effective to have Gagne and Eck work the 6th and 7th when you're trailing 8-1, then you're on the right track :)
11/19/2010 5:39 AM
I'm assuming too, that "SP" pitchers (instead of "RP" pitchers as noted in the Performance History) get a small percentage penalty to relief pitching when they are not used in the primary rotation?

But I'm guessing it is a relatively minor penalty and not worth worrying about -- based on the popularity of using guys like Milacki and what-not.
11/20/2010 10:47 PM
Just use the entire 2010 Padres bullpen and you can't go wrong...
11/20/2010 11:16 PM
The thing that took me a long time to figure out was how to assure value. Getting value for your money is the ultimate key to winning in this game. To that extent, the level of defense I draft plays a role in which pitchers I select. You don't need an offense that will score 20 runs a game, likewise, you don't need a shut down pitching staff. I find it prudent to have a little but of everything, but not too much of anything, on the team. I ALWAYS have fatigue issues with my pitching, so I usually play 100-140m cap leagues, and in those leagues, I find it very helpful to have a couple of (relatively) high inning pitchers who I use as relievers, but who in RL were SPs who had a limited season. In an OL, these might be Doyle Alexander or Dizzy Dean, or someone like those. guys like that allow me to get a higher PC out of my starters, if I need to, and then spot start one of them to rest the starter. A better plan is to learn how to manage the staff, but, as I said, I never have been able to figure that out.  In other words, I draft to my weakness. I know there are guys who manage with less innings than I can manage with. At first I thought they were exaggerating, but I have been in leagues with them and witnessed it, so I know they are telling the truth. But, pitching staff fatigue will completely ruin your season, every time. Position player fatigue is easier to manage. Good luck, and I hope I helped.
11/21/2010 5:08 PM
FATCAT IZ UR FREND

11/22/2010 11:59 AM
...and the horse you rode in, booger...
11/22/2010 12:02 PM
that looks more like a dog and a squirrel
11/22/2010 2:12 PM
11/22/2010 4:02 PM
now thats more like it!
11/22/2010 4:39 PM
bumping this up for phatcat
12/16/2010 10:29 AM
◂ Prev 12
How to build a strong bullpen? Topic

Search Criteria

Terms of Use Customer Support Privacy Statement

© 1999-2024 WhatIfSports.com, Inc. All rights reserved. WhatIfSports is a trademark of WhatIfSports.com, Inc. SimLeague, SimMatchup and iSimNow are trademarks or registered trademarks of Electronic Arts, Inc. Used under license. The names of actual companies and products mentioned herein may be the trademarks of their respective owners.