1975 progressive draft -1st pick - Eck or the Kid? Topic

I've never played in a progressive on WIS, so I'm wondering if any of you progressive league veterans would take into account the career WIS salary for each player.
11/19/2010 6:50 PM
Posted by ncmusician_7 on 11/19/2010 6:50:00 PM (view original):
I've never played in a progressive on WIS, so I'm wondering if any of you progressive league veterans would take into account the career WIS salary for each player.
That's very important in a progressive league with a cap. When I draft players I account for their overall stats in their primes (and salaries too, I guess) and also how much salary and how many seasons players have when they aren't good. If you have a player with two unusable seasons at the beginning or the middle of their careers and they only cost a tiny bit, that's fine--and actually beneficial in some instances. But if you have a player with terrible seasons worth a few million in their prime, I will sometimes avoid drafting them. Hell, in a capped league I'd almost prefer to have two or three minimum salary players. That way you can spend max money on the other 22-23 guys.

I guess that didn't entirely answer your question, but I'm sure it answered a few more that you may or may not have had.
11/19/2010 7:27 PM
I would take Carter over Eck hands down... In fact, unless I were in a strong pitchers park, I would take Tekulve or Leonard before Eckersley, not to mention hitters like Lynn, Hernandez, Randolph, or maybe Smalley.  
11/20/2010 3:12 AM (edited)
FWIW, and not sure how it translates into WIS, if at all....Carter 19 seasons  WAR  66.3    Eck 24 seasons WAR 58.7
11/20/2010 3:39 AM
I'd probably take Carter or Lynn before Eck unless I was really short on innings going forward.  I don't entirely agree with the argument that pitching inherently wins progressives (I won my most recent prog WS with a team that had an average pitching staff and the best offense in the league).  In general I would say that the best way to win consistently in progressives is by building around an offense.  As a general rule hitters are more consistent than pitchers, if somewhat less scarce.  Ideally I'd like to have the consistent offense to keep me in the playoffs year-in and year-out and try to stockpile pitching for target seasons.  In good pitching years the offense will still be there and I should be in good shape.  That being said, in practice I take more pitchers than hitters in the first round, but with an early first round pick I'm usually targeting a hitter unless I'm getting a consistent ace.  Eck is only a true #1 starter in a few seasons.  I'm only going after a pitcher with a #1 overall pick if he's going to finish in the Cy Young voting at least 4 or 5 times if not more.  Eck might end up on the list twice if he's lucky.
11/20/2010 3:44 AM
Carter over eck easily in my mind...unless you desperately need need pitching - but if that is the case then I would take Leonard...or trade down - maybe grab an extra 2nd rounder...or a pitcher with a couple good years right off the bat...maybe someone like Randy Jones, Catfish, or messersmith - they all have good1975 seasons, and not much else (with the exception of Jones)
11/20/2010 4:30 AM
Carter for me...
11/20/2010 5:20 AM
I'd rather use career WAR than career salary, but either is flawed by 700pa/200ip crap seasons to some extent. I like to look at seasons/PA/ip above 100 ops+/Erc+ as contributors but also years above 110/120 as years that help you win
11/20/2010 10:57 AM
◂ Prev 12
1975 progressive draft -1st pick - Eck or the Kid? Topic

Search Criteria

Terms of Use Customer Support Privacy Statement

© 1999-2024 WhatIfSports.com, Inc. All rights reserved. WhatIfSports is a trademark of WhatIfSports.com, Inc. SimLeague, SimMatchup and iSimNow are trademarks or registered trademarks of Electronic Arts, Inc. Used under license. The names of actual companies and products mentioned herein may be the trademarks of their respective owners.