Oklahoma City Thunder: 2 Seed Likely Topic

Never been a huge fan of Brooks. The way he uses the roster is maddening, Derek Fisher for 26 minutes, including all of OT?!? I have no idea if Lamb/Orton/PJIII can play worth a damn, but I do know that Thabeet can't and Fisher should not be getting heavy minutes.

The Perk trade was a good idea at the time. Green was (still is?) a terrible terrible defensive player and Perk can play good post defense. Now Green has shown flashes of stardom on offense, and Perkins on offense is cringeworthy as the dude has trouble catching the ball, and any jumpshot might as well be a turnover. How in the hell did he get 10 PPG on 60% shooting one season?
5/14/2013 11:59 AM
Durant will never win a championship in OKC without some major roster overhaul & a coaching change.  Westbrook is a tremendous talent but is not the right fit... but without him, too much offense is falling on Durant (they have literally nobody else that can efficiently get it done by themselves).  They really miss Harden right about now.
5/14/2013 5:38 PM
Posted by 05nomar05 on 5/14/2013 9:34:00 AM (view original):
I'm pretty sure the Green-Perk trade is leaning in a big way towards the C's.
now, the perkins trade hurt the Cs back when it was transacted and was intended to address western conference realities 2 years ago
5/14/2013 5:46 PM
That's a wrap. Fisher played 31 minutes, in a playoff game, in 2013. Wow. Durant played like dogshit. 5-21 shooting and 7 turnovers.

As for offseason moves:

1) Amnesty Perkins- he's just awful and still has 2 more seasons on his contract.
2) Don't re-sign Kevin Martin unless it's for peanuts. Don't re-sign Fisher under any circumstances.
3) Pray some post player veteran wants to take a lowish salary to get 30 minutes a game on a championship contender. Elton Brand, perhaps.
5/16/2013 12:51 AM
and enjoy your two lottery picks
5/16/2013 7:51 AM
OKC only has Toronto's. It'll be 11th or 12th overall.
5/16/2013 11:07 AM
they have toronto's and dallas's but one may not be available until next year due to protections, they're in a very decent position going forward - to me the biggest disappointment would be they rolled dice on an either serge or harden third big contract and serge seems to have plateaued
5/16/2013 9:15 PM
I agree, a frontcourt of Durant/Green/Ibaka would be much better than having slow Perkins holding them up. Its all small ball now, Ibaka is a Center in today's NBA.
5/31/2013 5:01 PM (edited)
Posted by shooter83211 on 5/31/2013 5:01:00 PM (view original):
I agree, a frontcourt of Durant/Green/Ibaka would be much better than having slow Perkins holding them up. Its all small ball now, Ibaka is a Center in today's NBA.
It is all small ball now.

Tell that to the Heat who are getting crushed by Roy Hibbert who 15-20 years ago wouldn't have been a top 10 center in the league and if the Heat get past this round they are going to get the combo of Splitter and Duncan.  In 2011 the Heat got dominated in the finals by a red hot 7 footer and a strong defensive minded center.

Big men are still an important part of the game just not the ones that sit around and take up space.
5/31/2013 9:39 PM
If Green didn't get traded for Perkins, he would have been traded for someone else. He's a natural SF, but that slot is obviously taken on OKC. On offense it was fine, but Green was just awful on post defense.

The trade made sense at the time, I don't think many would have thought Perkins would be washed up at 28. He should be amnestied, and we should bring back Cole Aldrich!
5/31/2013 10:45 PM
Perkins only looked good cause he was playing next to KG.
6/16/2013 8:48 PM
Hated the draft pick of Steven Adams. Another project center joining the likes of Robert Swift, Johan Petro, Sene, and Aldrich. Andre Roberson is a hustle guy who will be spending his next season or two in the D league. Good defensive ability, but needs to develop some kind of perimeter game.

Figured Kevin Martin would leave. He got a ridiculous contract. Not going to miss his defense. More minutes for Lamb and Jackson.

Hoping OKC bites the bullet and uses the amnesty on Perkins. Guy is just terrible. I'd favor cutting him and using the mid-level on Elton Brand.
7/10/2013 3:33 PM
I think Adams was a good risk/reward type pick for OKC.  Now granted the reward may not come for a couple of seasons so even then it may not work out great for them, but I didn't mind that pick.  I do think if I was going risk/reward I would have taken Shabazz, but he is a bit duplicative.  It's just after Westbrook went down, OKC was so bad offensively (Durant isn't really a shot creator and defenses just focused on him) that someone else geared offensively would have been very helpful on their bench.

I've long felt that OKC's biggest problem is Brooks is just a terrible coach.  I think part of the reason the Green/Perkins trade was made so that Brooks would stop messing up the rotations so badly.  I mean people forget that OKC gave up Green, Krstic and a first for Perkins and a half season rental of Nate Robinson who didn't even play (though keeping Robinson and actually playing him would have been a pretty solid move obviously).  The problem was Brooks just couldn't figure out what to do with Krstic, Ibaka, Green, Collison, etc. that they almost had to move some people and Green made the most sense given he was expiring and was more of a SF than PF.  Had Brooks just done a better job, I don't think they make that trade and they are probably better off than they otherwise would have been.
7/10/2013 3:48 PM
Green for Perkins was made because OKC was miserable defensively. Green couldn't play a lick of defense at PF. Nate Robinson was only in the trade to make it work for the salary cap. He shouldn't have played for OKC, and luckily he was didn't. The trade didn't work out because Perkins had an extremely quick decline in what should be his prime years.

I don't like Brooks at all. His failure to try anything different, like sticking to Perkins and Fisher despite having more options on the team, was maddening. Almost any coach could have some success with Durant, Westbrook, Ibaka, but I think sticking with Brooks is costing them playoff wins.
7/10/2013 4:50 PM
Posted by stinenavy on 7/10/2013 4:50:00 PM (view original):
Green for Perkins was made because OKC was miserable defensively. Green couldn't play a lick of defense at PF. Nate Robinson was only in the trade to make it work for the salary cap. He shouldn't have played for OKC, and luckily he was didn't. The trade didn't work out because Perkins had an extremely quick decline in what should be his prime years.

I don't like Brooks at all. His failure to try anything different, like sticking to Perkins and Fisher despite having more options on the team, was maddening. Almost any coach could have some success with Durant, Westbrook, Ibaka, but I think sticking with Brooks is costing them playoff wins.
I guess my point was I think OKC was miserable defensively in a large part because Brooks didn't set up the rotations properly.  Now I get Green and Durant needed to play a bunch together, but Ibaka was playing like 24 minutes a game before the trade.  I think a bit better roster management and they wouldn't have been that bad defensively and wouldn't have felt they need to make the trade.  Even just starting Ibaka at center and getting him up to the 33 minute range would have done wonders for that particular team.

C - Ibaka 20, Krstic 28
PF - Green 25, Ibaka 13, Collison 10

Something like that with Green backing up Durant for 10-13 minutes (to get him to 35-38) and I think that team would have been a lot better both overall and defensively, but Brooks was playing Ibaka only like 24 minutes and Krstic like 21 minutes, with Collison getting like 24 minutes a game.  Collison should have been the odd man out with more time to both Ibaka and Krstic and Green getting more time at SF. 

And Nate Robinson absolutely should have played for that team.  He was exactly the type of player they needed backing up Westbrook (i.e. aggressive scorer with a good outside shot). 
7/10/2013 5:40 PM
◂ Prev 1...15|16|17|18 Next ▸
Oklahoma City Thunder: 2 Seed Likely Topic

Search Criteria

Terms of Use Customer Support Privacy Statement

© 1999-2024 WhatIfSports.com, Inc. All rights reserved. WhatIfSports is a trademark of WhatIfSports.com, Inc. SimLeague, SimMatchup and iSimNow are trademarks or registered trademarks of Electronic Arts, Inc. Used under license. The names of actual companies and products mentioned herein may be the trademarks of their respective owners.