Why is it that being respectful .... Topic

ssandy, lots of things are more realistic.

1.  DLs and not DBs get most of the sacks now.

2.  DBs impact the running game, and make running tackles.

3.  The running game is much closer to real life now.  They need to adjust it just a bit (too many 2 yard gains ... about 15% of them need to be 3-4 yards and about 5% of them need to be randomly higher than 5-6 yards.  Once they make that adjustment, the running game will be quite real.

4.  The fact that DL are involved on screen passes is much more probabilistic.

5.  The fact that you have a situational back for 3rd down is more realistic.  Now if you pass on 3rd down you have a passing back and if you run you have a short yardage back.

6.  You can have cover OLBs and not woory about them shifting to the middle ... you can stick your tackling LBs at ILB.  There will be a rotation (if and when it occurs) that keeps your overall D how you want it.

7.  The PBP is much more informative now.  You can tell who is covering your WR, who made the tackle, who is getting beat on D, etc.  This can allow you to make changes with real info now.  Before, you had no idea who was covering WR1 or WR2 and who got beat in your secondary .. now you do.

I can not believe that people can not see all the advantages that this engine brings in.

Do does it need some tweaks .. sure.  Would I like to set effectiveness for rotating players ... yes.  Would I like to better control the first look receiver ..  yep.  Still the update has major advantages.  One of which is the ability to easily add different formations which have different number of CBs, S, OLBs, ILBs, DEs, DTs in different spots and in different numbers without having to set a depth chart for each new formation.  You can rank your positional players and it can pick 4 DTs, 4 ILBs, and 3 Safeties for a heavy run formation or 2 DTs, 3 OLBs,  and 6 CBs for a heavy pass type formation.  They might even be able to alliow users to design their own formations in the future.  You put them on the field in the proper place and they react based on the position.  I like where this allows the game to go.

I do not claim to be an "elite coach", but I have had several #1 recruiting classes from GUESS at all levels, I have played in NC games (never won one yet), have been in several other final fours, been in Level 5 bowls, etc.  Not the best coaching resume (for sure) and not the worst.  But that does not matter at all.  People who are great coaches get to have their own opinions, so do coaches who suck.

If you like the new game play it, if you don't like it then quit.  How hard is that?

In the meantime, we can all try to be nice to one another on the forums ... no need for personal attacks and such silly a$$hattery.
11/21/2010 9:41 PM
It isn't funny.  Did you enjoy the bully on the playground making fun of the crippled kid?  Kids tend to be cruel with their fun. 
11/21/2010 9:49 PM (edited)
Posted by grindi on 11/21/2010 9:43:00 PM (view original):
It isn't funny.  Did you enjoy the bully on the playground making fun of the crippled kid?  Kids tend to be cruel with their fun.  Potters' attempts are the same. 
That's what she said
11/21/2010 9:45 PM
Posted by potter444 on 11/21/2010 12:00:00 PM (view original):
Posted by kapkidd on 11/21/2010 10:59:00 AM (view original):
as a coach is a bad thing?

Example:  My resume -   I have 157 seasons with a total of 13 CC's and 0 NC's and .706 winning percentage.  In D3, D2 and D1-AA, I have never been to a Final Four.  I have been to the 3rd round a total of 3 times.  So, effectively, I am a perennial "2nd round and out" playoff coach.  And my bowl record is abyssmal.  Am I a great coach?  No.  But do I stop trying? No.  Do I quit enjoying the game? No.  Do I feel as if I am a respectable coach?  Yes.  For this I am an idiot (or worse) according to several other coaches posting here.

All over these forums I see coaches with similar resumes being called out just because their resume doesn't resemble nelson's, dravz's, plague's, slider's ... I could go on, but I hope you get the point.  We have no opinion because we suck.  We cannot post because we don't know how to win. We only like the new engine because the upper echelon doesn't know how to win either, so maybe we have a chance.  However, without  the "respectable" coaches, this game would be very uninteresting.  Not everyone can be a top coach.  There has to be top coaches, respectable coaches, mediocre coaches and, yes, even bad coaches, just like there is in real life.

Do I like the new engine?  Yes and no.  I like the new engine because it is generally more REALISTIC in terms of gameplay than the old one.  On the other hand, I don't like the new engine for the UNREALISTIC features it has introduced.  I'm not going to name them, they are all over the forums and we know what they are.  Do I think I am going to be more successful under the new engine?  At this point, absolutely not.  However, I do support the new engine.  I will have patience and hope that the bugs get worked out and fixed as soon as possible.  Even though I am not happy that I have to pay for what seems to be the "beta-testing" of the new engine. I'm going to have to start over and  figure things out. I send in tickets for the things that seem out of whack instead of posting belligerent posts on the forum screaming about how stupid it is and I'm going to quit.  I. too, have PAID for my 157 seasons while trying to make my teams as good as I could possibly make them.   I personally believe that the coaches that support the new engine, even with its'  problems, far out-number the coaches that don't.  For this, again, we are idiots.

At this point, I'd rather be respectable.

DISCLAIMER:   To my knowledge, no one hs attacked me or my resume personally.  I just have seen it many times and can easily put myself in those coaches' shoes.  
Do people hate you because you're a mediocre coach?  No.  Do they think think you're an idiot because you answer all your own questions?  Yes.

Ok funniest thing I have read in a while because you answered your own questions so according to you, you are an idiot.
11/21/2010 9:46 PM
 Potters' attempts are the same as the bullys'.  He's poking fun at a generation that died for his freedoms.  Count back. 83.  Born 1927,  Plenty old enough to have fought in the Battle of the Bulge, Maybe Korea.  When you start poking "fun" at your elders you ought to think of that.  The older generations have left a trail of dead friends and loved ones to "allow" you to have your wise a$$ attitude.
11/21/2010 9:56 PM (edited)
Hughes - I'd read a lot o fyour posts defending the new engine, and most of them make sense if you ignored the talent gaps between teams. However, zfanatic's thread with boxscore is the main source of frustration. Ashland has the best two running backs in all of DII, is better on both lines, yet scored 5 points and got run all over. His freak RB ran for 32 yards. His team committed six fumbles. And (surprise) there was a safety in the game. Yes, there is a learning curve. Yes, talent is not the only thing, where it used to be. However, it feels as though talent has been devalued significantly, and therein lies the problem.
11/21/2010 9:50 PM
I keep hearing that some people feel this engine is more realistic than the last engine, I think the problem is a lot of us don't feel it is more realistic than the last engine. Was the prior engine 100% realistic, no it was not, but even once the bugs get worked out of the new engine I feel you replaced some unrealistic aspects with other unrealistic aspects.

We replaced a unrealistic system  with starting different players in different formations to keep their stamina high, with a system that does not allow you to use realistic substitutions and we see defensive players and receivers playing almost 100% of the game. The result is 2 unrealistic engines, but the new one allows for less strategy.

We went from a system that had too many plays at the median level to a system that has too many plays at the extremes.

I just don't see the realism in the new system.
11/21/2010 9:51 PM
Posted by crickett13 on 11/21/2010 9:47:00 PM (view original):
Posted by potter444 on 11/21/2010 12:00:00 PM (view original):
Posted by kapkidd on 11/21/2010 10:59:00 AM (view original):
as a coach is a bad thing?

Example:  My resume -   I have 157 seasons with a total of 13 CC's and 0 NC's and .706 winning percentage.  In D3, D2 and D1-AA, I have never been to a Final Four.  I have been to the 3rd round a total of 3 times.  So, effectively, I am a perennial "2nd round and out" playoff coach.  And my bowl record is abyssmal.  Am I a great coach?  No.  But do I stop trying? No.  Do I quit enjoying the game? No.  Do I feel as if I am a respectable coach?  Yes.  For this I am an idiot (or worse) according to several other coaches posting here.

All over these forums I see coaches with similar resumes being called out just because their resume doesn't resemble nelson's, dravz's, plague's, slider's ... I could go on, but I hope you get the point.  We have no opinion because we suck.  We cannot post because we don't know how to win. We only like the new engine because the upper echelon doesn't know how to win either, so maybe we have a chance.  However, without  the "respectable" coaches, this game would be very uninteresting.  Not everyone can be a top coach.  There has to be top coaches, respectable coaches, mediocre coaches and, yes, even bad coaches, just like there is in real life.

Do I like the new engine?  Yes and no.  I like the new engine because it is generally more REALISTIC in terms of gameplay than the old one.  On the other hand, I don't like the new engine for the UNREALISTIC features it has introduced.  I'm not going to name them, they are all over the forums and we know what they are.  Do I think I am going to be more successful under the new engine?  At this point, absolutely not.  However, I do support the new engine.  I will have patience and hope that the bugs get worked out and fixed as soon as possible.  Even though I am not happy that I have to pay for what seems to be the "beta-testing" of the new engine. I'm going to have to start over and  figure things out. I send in tickets for the things that seem out of whack instead of posting belligerent posts on the forum screaming about how stupid it is and I'm going to quit.  I. too, have PAID for my 157 seasons while trying to make my teams as good as I could possibly make them.   I personally believe that the coaches that support the new engine, even with its'  problems, far out-number the coaches that don't.  For this, again, we are idiots.

At this point, I'd rather be respectable.

DISCLAIMER:   To my knowledge, no one hs attacked me or my resume personally.  I just have seen it many times and can easily put myself in those coaches' shoes.  
Do people hate you because you're a mediocre coach?  No.  Do they think think you're an idiot because you answer all your own questions?  Yes.

Ok funniest thing I have read in a while because you answered your own questions so according to you, you are an idiot.
I honestly can't tell if you're joking. Amazing.
11/21/2010 9:52 PM
Posted by treyomo on 11/21/2010 9:50:00 PM (view original):
Hughes - I'd read a lot o fyour posts defending the new engine, and most of them make sense if you ignored the talent gaps between teams. However, zfanatic's thread with boxscore is the main source of frustration. Ashland has the best two running backs in all of DII, is better on both lines, yet scored 5 points and got run all over. His freak RB ran for 32 yards. His team committed six fumbles. And (surprise) there was a safety in the game. Yes, there is a learning curve. Yes, talent is not the only thing, where it used to be. However, it feels as though talent has been devalued significantly, and therein lies the problem.
What Treymo said.
11/21/2010 9:54 PM
dravz,  I'm not sure if he did it on purpose or not, but either way it's funny.
11/21/2010 9:54 PM
 I thought the talent in the old engine and how it effected the outcome of games was perfect or near perfect. In the new engine its a major problem. With the new engine it would not surprise me if a D3 team upset a D1 team.
11/21/2010 10:00 PM
Sigh.
11/21/2010 10:02 PM
Just because you can designate a player OLB instead of LB does not make up for all the problems the engine has. Would you rather have a game where players abilities really played a factor in the game but the player is labeled LB? Or be able to label a player OLB or ILB and have those players abilities play very little factor in the game?
11/21/2010 10:04 PM
Posted by grindi on 11/21/2010 9:56:00 PM (view original):
 Potters' attempts are the same as the bullys'.  He's poking fun at a generation that died for his freedoms.  Count back. 83.  Born 1927,  Plenty old enough to have fought in the Battle of the Bulge, Maybe Korea.  When you start poking "fun" at your elders you ought to think of that.  The older generations have left a trail of dead friends and loved ones to "allow" you to have your wise a$$ attitude.
No offense but the Korean war gave me absolutley  ZERO freedoms, the same amount as every war and conflict fought since WWII. They havnt allowed me to have any wise *** attitude that I wouldnt have been allowed to have prior to and regardles of these uneeded wars. That trail of friends and loved onse left behind were done so to line the pockets of corporations and feed the military industrial complex. If anyone is the bully my friend it is the United States military.

If someone wants to come on and online forum and expose himself to ridicule his age and or military service should have no place in the discussion. Im not trying to be an *******, but that "fought for your freedom" BS ****** me off to no end

Oh yea......this update blows the big one
11/21/2010 10:04 PM
bc, for someone who claims you are not trying to be an *******...... your doing a really good job of being one.
11/21/2010 10:07 PM
◂ Prev 1|2|3|4|5...9 Next ▸
Why is it that being respectful .... Topic

Search Criteria

Terms of Use Customer Support Privacy Statement

© 1999-2024 WhatIfSports.com, Inc. All rights reserved. WhatIfSports is a trademark of WhatIfSports.com, Inc. SimLeague, SimMatchup and iSimNow are trademarks or registered trademarks of Electronic Arts, Inc. Used under license. The names of actual companies and products mentioned herein may be the trademarks of their respective owners.