Why is it that being respectful .... Topic

I rarely post on the forum, though I read them often.  I could not hold back any longer.  First, the football stuff and then onto the patriotism and fighting of wars.

I like the new engine for what it is trying to do for the game.  Granted, the bugs are frustrating, but I believe they will be fixed and for that reason, I am excited about the direction the game will take because of the new changes.  Giving all of us a free season was the right thing to do and should make up for any perception of a "lost season".  I can understand the frustration of the long time coaches.  They spent dozens and dozens of seasons figuring out the old engine and now they must learn something new.  That would probably upset me as well if I put in that much time trying to figure out an unrealistic engine.  Yes, an unrealistic engine.  The old engine was about 25% realistic.  That made figuring out the nuances of GD that much harder for football-minded coaches, but a little easier for the coaches that enjoyed the mathematical side of the old engine.  I welcome the challenge of figuring out what I view as a more realistic college football engine.  For the long time coaches that do not like the new engine, I understand I will never convince you otherwise and I will not even waste your time or my time arguing old engine vs. new engine. 

I spent 20 years in the Marine Corps.  Believe me when I say those of us that fight in these conflicts do not ponder the "why".  We might have those thoughts and discussions while sitting around in the barracks or drinking a beer at the E-Club, but those thoughts and discussions quickly vanish when the time comes to engage in fire fights and battles.  To contemplate the why is to invite doubt, which results in death.  Death for our fellow team/squad/platoon members and death for us.  We fight for the man next to us, and the man next to him, and the man next to him.  Not for those that came before us, or for the naive college kids back home, or for some sense of mythical honor.  We fight for each other and to survive.  When the fight is over and we look back, we are proud of the lives we saved, sad for the lives that were lost, and proud to be part of a legacy for our great country, but those are not conscionable thoughts while we are fighting.  99% of you have no idea what any of this means, and that is okay.  For that 1% that knows to what I am referring, I salute you and sincerely say, semper fidelis.  We know why we did what we did and that is all that really matters.
11/22/2010 8:40 PM
Grindi, you call me a communist then blame the elected officials for bringing down the Roman empire while the emporer was off having orgies and feeding christians to the lions.  There is nothing about my last post that hints that I am a communist. I am not anti American, or a Taliban trying to subvert America lol. Come on, have you really run out of intelligent things to say? You are ignorant and blind to the reality of the world around you. It amazes me that you cant even justify your position beyond some vague feelings you cant describe.

Crcummings, I hear you completly. Trust me, I truly do. What I am trying to say is that the system and the people which determine when we are going to war is beyond corrupt and because of it countless people around the world die. My argument is that the only way to stop it is to discourage people from serving and allowing the system to perpetuate. It may be harsh, but the only way to do that is break this cycle of justification for these wars and conflicts by invoking the "fighting for freedom argument".

I apologize for any disrespect to former servicemen but people need to realize that no freedoms have been won or lost through military conflict since WWII.
11/22/2010 9:12 PM
The question cummings is not why do you fight once you are in uniform, but why you make the choice to put it on in the first place. If it was because of this sense to fight for your country's freedom and the cause of democracy then you were unfortunatly misinformed and people need to stop the spread of this misinformation
11/22/2010 9:15 PM
The size of the military and the amount of corruption in Washington are not related.
11/22/2010 9:19 PM
Posted by bcsuperfan23 on 11/22/2010 9:12:00 PM (view original):
Grindi, you call me a communist then blame the elected officials for bringing down the Roman empire while the emporer was off having orgies and feeding christians to the lions.  There is nothing about my last post that hints that I am a communist. I am not anti American, or a Taliban trying to subvert America lol. Come on, have you really run out of intelligent things to say? You are ignorant and blind to the reality of the world around you. It amazes me that you cant even justify your position beyond some vague feelings you cant describe.

Crcummings, I hear you completly. Trust me, I truly do. What I am trying to say is that the system and the people which determine when we are going to war is beyond corrupt and because of it countless people around the world die. My argument is that the only way to stop it is to discourage people from serving and allowing the system to perpetuate. It may be harsh, but the only way to do that is break this cycle of justification for these wars and conflicts by invoking the "fighting for freedom argument".

I apologize for any disrespect to former servicemen but people need to realize that no freedoms have been won or lost through military conflict since WWII.
Rome was Christian when it fell.

Just off the top of my head;
South Korea, but technically we're still at a state of war with North Korea.
Grenada
Falklands
Bosnia
South Vietnam, lost their freedom and lives
Chinese Civil War, 1945-1949, internal conflict 1.2 million lost their lives and few billion lost their freedom.
Iraq, but still in progress.
Georgia, lost most of their sovereignty and is still occupied.

11/22/2010 9:38 PM (edited)
I think we've given these people were fighting now long enough to change their ways and become civilized like the rest of the world.

Time to pull the troops and just cover the place with bombs.

After, tell the world, "They shoulda stopped talkin' ****... They had to learn the hard way."

Boom
11/22/2010 9:39 PM
I apologize the Greatest example of freedom won and the defense of freedom since WWII is Israel 1948 through today.  Its been fighting for 62 years, and there are still millions of misunderstood individuals that still hate them.  These misunderstood individuals will sacrifice themselves, their woman and their children in suicide attacks to kill as many Jews as they can and destroy Israel. 
11/22/2010 9:45 PM
Posted by bcsuperfan23 on 11/22/2010 5:06:00 PM (view original):
Grindi, tarred with what brush exactly? Explain to me the flaws in this thinking that I have without relying only on opinion and not fact. Yes, I am also speaking my opinion but it is backed up with facts, just look at our defense budget and the profit margins for defense contractors. Read Eisehower's farewell address, its all there.(If you wish me to cite specifics examples I will) Saying that without fighting the Vietnam War and Korean war and the Iraq war I wouldn't be able to type this statement right now is ludicrous. If you would present me with any ounce of credibilty to that statement, and explain a direct correlation between any of those wars and my freedoms and liberties as an American I would gladly swallow my words and admit just how wrong I am. However, without any evidence to the contrary I will continue to stand by my statement that the continues state of War that our country has been in for the last 60 years has nothing to do with freedom or democracy and all to do with greed and power.
You probably forgot because you probably do not care about the brave heroes that died for our country over the past 230 years.  If it wasn't for France, we probably would not have won our freedom that you so enjoy.  People seeking freedom always need help from other nations and always will.
11/22/2010 10:00 PM

I really have no problem with GD not using customers to beta test. In fact I think that if they actually use GD customers to beta test, then everyone should get a free first season after the beta test.

I really dont understand all the whining and complaining due to this update. After getting away with basically starting 22 offensive players every game you complain about this update.

Silly.

11/22/2010 10:01 PM
Posted by bcsuperfan23 on 11/22/2010 9:15:00 PM (view original):
The question cummings is not why do you fight once you are in uniform, but why you make the choice to put it on in the first place. If it was because of this sense to fight for your country's freedom and the cause of democracy then you were unfortunatly misinformed and people need to stop the spread of this misinformation
Misinformed?  You, sir, are the one who has been misinformed.  When you live for something greater than your own self-interest, write me back and tell me how you feel about sacrificing a part of your life and soul for something bigger than you can imagine.  You are going to interpret what I said as some sort of misguided patriotism because you have no idea what I mean when I say living for something greater than your own self-interest. 
11/22/2010 10:24 PM
Posted by crcummings on 11/22/2010 10:24:00 PM (view original):
Posted by bcsuperfan23 on 11/22/2010 9:15:00 PM (view original):
Misinformed?  You, sir, are the one who has been misinformed.  When you live for something greater than your own self-interest, write me back and tell me how you feel about sacrificing a part of your life and soul for something bigger than you can imagine.  You are going to interpret what I said as some sort of misguided patriotism because you have no idea what I mean when I say living for something greater than your own self-interest. 
crcummings thank you for your service.  Its men that came before you and like you that made this country great.  They volunteered to fight for our independence, to fight for our country's union and then help the world against tyrrany.
11/22/2010 10:36 PM
Good thread.  It's taught me that there is a "block user" feature to these forums.  Now I never have to bother reading potter's imbcilic nonsense anymore ;)
11/22/2010 10:56 PM

But threats, new in kind or degree, constantly arise.

Of these, I mention two only.

A vital element in keeping the peace is our military establishment. Our arms must be mighty, ready for instant action, so that no potential aggressor may be tempted to risk his own destruction.

Our military organization today bears little relation to that known by any of my predecessors in peacetime, or indeed by the fighting men of World War II or Korea.

Until the latest of our world conflicts, the United States had no armaments industry. American makers of plowshares could, with time and as required, make swords as well. But now we can no longer risk emergency improvisation of national defense; we have been compelled to create a permanent armaments industry of vast proportions. Added to this, three and a half million men and women are directly engaged in the defense establishment. We annually spend on military security more than the net income of all United States corporations.

This conjunction of an immense military establishment and a large arms industry is new in the American experience. The total influence – economic, political, even spiritual – is felt in every city, every Statehouse, every office of the Federal government. We recognize the imperative need for this development. Yet we must not fail to comprehend its grave implications. Our toil, resources and livelihood are all involved; so is the very structure of our society.

In the councils of government, we must guard against the acquisition of unwarranted influence, whether sought or unsought, by the military-industrial complex. The potential for the disastrous rise of misplaced power exists and will persist.

We must never let the weight of this combination endanger our liberties or democratic processes. We should take nothing for granted. Only an alert and knowledgeable citizenry can compel the proper meshing of the huge industrial and military machinery of defense with our peaceful methods and goals, so that security and liberty may prosper together.

Akin to, and largely responsible for the sweeping changes in our industrial-military posture, has been the technological revolution during recent decades.

In this revolution, research has become central, it also becomes more formalized, complex, and costly. A steadily increasing share is conducted for, by, or at the direction of, the Federal government.

Today, the solitary inventor, tinkering in his shop, has been overshadowed by task forces of scientists in laboratories and testing fields. In the same fashion, the free university, historically the fountainhead of free ideas and scientific discovery, has experienced a revolution in the conduct of research. Partly because of the huge costs involved, a government contract becomes virtually a substitute for intellectual curiosity. For every old blackboard there are now hundreds of new electronic computers.

The prospect of domination of the nation's scholars by Federal employment, project allocations, and the power of money is ever present – and is gravely to be regarded.

Yet, in holding scientific research and discovery in respect, as we should, we must also be alert to the equal and opposite danger that public policy could itself become the captive of a scientific-technological elite.

11/22/2010 11:02 PM
A section of Eisenhowers farewell address to the nation. If you wont listen to me, maybe you will listen to one of the most revered Generals and Presidents in United States history. This was given in 1960, its scary just how relevant it still is today. I just dont get how someone cannot acknowledge the truth in these words
11/22/2010 11:04 PM
Posted by sesnjcpa on 11/22/2010 9:38:00 PM (view original):
Posted by bcsuperfan23 on 11/22/2010 9:12:00 PM (view original):

Rome was Christian when it fell.

Just off the top of my head;
South Korea, but technically we're still at a state of war with North Korea.
Grenada
Falklands
Bosnia
South Vietnam, lost their freedom and lives
Chinese Civil War, 1945-1949, internal conflict 1.2 million lost their lives and few billion lost their freedom.
Iraq, but still in progress.
Georgia, lost most of their sovereignty and is still occupied.

Im talking about America. These examples are missing one thing, there impact on my freedoms as an American citizen
11/22/2010 11:06 PM
◂ Prev 1...5|6|7|8|9 Next ▸
Why is it that being respectful .... Topic

Search Criteria

Terms of Use Customer Support Privacy Statement

© 1999-2024 WhatIfSports.com, Inc. All rights reserved. WhatIfSports is a trademark of WhatIfSports.com, Inc. SimLeague, SimMatchup and iSimNow are trademarks or registered trademarks of Electronic Arts, Inc. Used under license. The names of actual companies and products mentioned herein may be the trademarks of their respective owners.