Gold Glover Jeter, Best SS Evah!!!, robbed of MVP Topic

Posted by MikeT23 on 3/25/2013 4:34:00 PM (view original):
I'm saying you're presenting a scenario that makes no sense.   I'm assuming you're doing that because you didn't know that Jeter's option was a player's option and don't want to be "wrong".   I'll add that it's OK because I have no idea who has what option on the Dodgers, Angels or whoever you root for.

I'll add that fans are fickle.   You win and most is forgiven.   You don't win and every move you make is rehashed. 

All that said, if the Yanks give Jeter an unconditional release and lose, they'll lose fans.  Some forever.  If they give Jeter an unconditional release and win, they'll lose fans.  But most will come back when they start winning.   And they'll say "Bah, Jetah should have hung it up with dignity.  Gimme a hawt dawg."

Now I'll repeat what I said.    It won't happen.   The Yanks will not release Jeter next year. 
No, I knew it was a player option. But it's small (assuming he doesn't hit any of the big incentives) and it's a sunk cost. The Yankees will probably have to pay it no matter what. It's a smarter decision to eat the $8 million and find a good shortstop than to eat the $8 million and play a shortstop who will cost you wins.

But it probably won't come up because Jeter will be significantly better than a .212 hitter this year.
3/25/2013 4:57 PM
It won't come up because, if the Yankee brass has no problem "shaming" him, they will pay him to sit on the bench.   I don't believe he'd sully his rep by ******** and moaning so that's how it would play out.    And I believe he'd only accept his option if he was led to believe he'd be a big part of the team.
3/25/2013 5:04 PM
Posted by MikeT23 on 3/25/2013 5:04:00 PM (view original):
It won't come up because, if the Yankee brass has no problem "shaming" him, they will pay him to sit on the bench.   I don't believe he'd sully his rep by ******** and moaning so that's how it would play out.    And I believe he'd only accept his option if he was led to believe he'd be a big part of the team.
I believe he will only accept the option if he doesn't think he can get paid more on the open market.
3/25/2013 5:10 PM
He's not going to play a year or two somewhere else.
3/25/2013 5:14 PM
Posted by MikeT23 on 3/25/2013 5:14:00 PM (view original):
He won't? How do you know?
3/25/2013 5:16 PM
He told me.
3/25/2013 5:19 PM
Posted by MikeT23 on 3/25/2013 5:19:00 PM (view original):
He told me.
Well, in that case, what else do you know? Does he really have the herp? How was Minka in bed?
3/25/2013 5:24 PM
All kinds of things.  But I'm sworn to secrecy until he retires.  As a Yankee.
3/25/2013 5:30 PM
I'll put it this way.   As I said a few pages back, all great players have a selfish side.  He's on the backside of his career.  Everyone knows that.  Now he can retire a Yankee and be talked about like Gwynn, Ripken, Chipper or he can go out with another team and be Mays/Mets, Aaron/Brewers or even Boggs/Rays.   It won't make him a lesser player but it does affect his legacy.   You could argue that the old-timers needed another paycheck.   I don't expect that's the case with Jeter.

The one wild card would be a bad parting of the ways and his desire to shove it in their face as an "I told you so" ala Clemens/Sux.   But Jeter isn't 33, he's 40.  He has to know that he doesn't have another MVP-type season in his back pocket.    Maybe I'm wrong but I don't see it.
3/25/2013 5:37 PM
When Jeter was negotiating his last contract, I brought up the point that Jeter really had no leverage.  He cares deeply about his legacy, and wants badly to play for the Yankees for the rest of his career.  The Yankees should have offered 3 years at $24 mil total and waited for Jeter to accept it.  I felt that the time, they were overpaying for him at the contract I proposed, let alone the contract that actually gave him.  That said, Jeter had a year last year I did not expect.  So he's lived up the contract somewhat.

If Jeter doesn't accept the option, it's because he's retiring, or because he had a great year in 2013 and thinks he can get MORE from the Yankees, and only the Yankees.
3/25/2013 5:50 PM
Posted by MikeT23 on 3/25/2013 5:14:00 PM (view original):
Absolutely Agree. Jeter will retire a Yankee. And all this talk is VERY subjective since he's still an EXTREMELY effective player. Yeah, he's not the best shortstop in the league, but he's not a "liability" either, a fact that I can admit even though MikeT can't find it within himself to admit that Cabrera is actually a pretty decent third baseman. Jeter is no more a liability at SS than Cabby is at 3B. But the bottom line, for this conversation, is that Jeter will ABSOLUTELY retire a Yankee, and he will do it on his own terms. Does anyone actually believe that he really cares about money at this point? No, it's about his LEGACY.......AS A YANKEE. And I will also be the first to admit that, though I've never been a Jeter "supporter".......the dude is the absolute DEFINITION of PROFESSIONAL and the Yanks would be nothing short of IDIOTS to cut short his career and do ANYTHING other than what Jeter himself wants to do.
3/25/2013 6:01 PM

burns, if you read what RSP just wrote, you'll understand why the Yanks "overpaid" for Jeter.  Having been a Yankee fan all my life, I don't know of any other modern day players other than two of  the three I mentioned(Ripken/Chipper) who have the same connection to their city/team as Jeter does to NY.  The Yanks brass knows this.  They played a little hardball in the negotiation, for the reason you stated, but they weren't letting him go to some other team for 3/50 and an option.  And, as I've insisted, they aren't going to release him after the season.

rsp, I stopped banging on your boy around mid-season.   Despite catching the ball with his face in ST, he was an adequate 3B.   I also insisted that he was the MVP over Trout for about 40 pages.

3/25/2013 8:06 PM
"but they weren't letting him go to some other team for 3/50 and an option."

I get your argument, and it makes sense.  But I don't think the quote above was happening.  The only team I saw doing that was Boston, and it would just to force the Yankees to spend more on him.  And Jeter cares about his Yankee legacy too much to go play for MIlwaukee or something.

I'd also argue that Jeter and Cabrera hurt their teams defensively last year, but obviously more than made up for it offensively.  
3/26/2013 11:39 AM
I'm guessing, until yesterday, that no one thought Lohse was getting 3/33. 

I felt the Yanks, and the rest of MLB, knew that Jeter had no desire to go play in LA, SEA, Arizona or anywhere except NYY.   But, if he's unsigned into ST, things change.
3/26/2013 2:36 PM
We talked about this ad nauseum back then, but the media/fans were starting to turn on Jeter.  If he let that drag in ST, he looks BAD.  And that's exactly what he didn't want.
3/26/2013 2:41 PM
◂ Prev 1...10|11|12|13|14...31 Next ▸
Gold Glover Jeter, Best SS Evah!!!, robbed of MVP Topic

Search Criteria

Terms of Use Customer Support Privacy Statement

© 1999-2024 WhatIfSports.com, Inc. All rights reserved. WhatIfSports is a trademark of WhatIfSports.com, Inc. SimLeague, SimMatchup and iSimNow are trademarks or registered trademarks of Electronic Arts, Inc. Used under license. The names of actual companies and products mentioned herein may be the trademarks of their respective owners.