Gold Glover Jeter, Best SS Evah!!!, robbed of MVP Topic

I also just remembered that you wanted the Yankees to sign Jeter to a 20 year, $250M contract or something.  And I think you were serious.
3/28/2013 10:17 AM
Sigh.   Jeter did his best to keep negotiations out of the media.   The FO leaked the 3/45 number.   I believe the Jeter camp had mentioned 5-6 years in November.  Did anyone offer anything?  Don't know.  Neither do you.

The Mets overpaid for Wright.   They extended his contract when they didn't have to.   They didn't want to drive fans away forever.   They did this because he was their most popular player.   Wright NEVER gets 20m a year in the open market.   NEVER.  I assume you're looking at your David Wright poster when you say he would.
3/28/2013 10:20 AM
Posted by MikeT23 on 3/28/2013 10:20:00 AM (view original):
Sigh.   Jeter did his best to keep negotiations out of the media.   The FO leaked the 3/45 number.   I believe the Jeter camp had mentioned 5-6 years in November.  Did anyone offer anything?  Don't know.  Neither do you.

The Mets overpaid for Wright.   They extended his contract when they didn't have to.   They didn't want to drive fans away forever.   They did this because he was their most popular player.   Wright NEVER gets 20m a year in the open market.   NEVER.  I assume you're looking at your David Wright poster when you say he would.
You guys remember that time Jeter walked on water? Probably not, he tried to keep it hush hush, that's the leader that he is.
3/28/2013 10:23 AM
I think it was 20/200m but, yes, I was serious.   A lifetime deal, so to speak.  He'd walk around and shake hands after he retired.  Hang out with the corporate guys when needed.   Of course, realizing that the boys seem quite serious about getting under the luxury tax number, I don't think it's such a good ideal now depending on how MLB would view the contract. 
3/28/2013 10:23 AM
And Wright's worth that contract. He would have gotten it in the open market easily.

3/28/2013 10:27 AM
Wright      8 years     $138M     $17.5/yr
Beltre       5 years     $80M       $16/yr
Zimm       6 years     $100M     $16.7/yr

I'd show you other great 3B who are past arbitration and what they're being paid, but I can't because there isn't any.  Great 3B don't come along often.

And the Jeter camp didn't do what they could to keep negotiations private, they said publicly that the 3 yr/$45 was disrespectful, they were mocked for saying that, and rightly so.

You want to show me contract #s of other shortstops with OPS in the 700s in their mid-to-late 30s and the $ they make?
3/28/2013 10:39 AM
LOL.  That's horrible "proof".

Beltre has been putting up better numbers forever.   And the final year can be voided if he fails to me PA numbers. 
Zimmerman has been putting up similar numbers.   His final year is a team option and it's when he's 35, not 37.

Both deals are MUCH more team friendly and both teams are contenders.   Mets are overpaying for a player on a non-competing team.   Horrible contract when compared to those two.
3/28/2013 10:46 AM
Posted by MikeT23 on 3/28/2013 10:46:00 AM (view original):
LOL.  That's horrible "proof".

Beltre has been putting up better numbers forever.   And the final year can be voided if he fails to me PA numbers. 
Zimmerman has been putting up similar numbers.   His final year is a team option and it's when he's 35, not 37.

Both deals are MUCH more team friendly and both teams are contenders.   Mets are overpaying for a player on a non-competing team.   Horrible contract when compared to those two.
Which Beltre?   Adrian hadn't hit in years and got that deal based off of one great season in Boston.
3/28/2013 10:53 AM
http://www.fangraphs.com/blogs/index.php/the-mets-are-not-that-far-away/

http://www.fangraphs.com/blogs/index.php/david-wright-deal-a-solid-bet-for-mets/
3/28/2013 10:54 AM
Want to make sure I got this right - Prince Fielder, a fatass 1B, gets paid $24 million a year until he's 37, but David Wright, a good glove 3B, wouldn't get paid $17.5M in the open market?  

And Beltre put up better numbers forever? You sure? Double-check that and get back to me.

I'll agree Zim's deal is a slightly better deal.
3/28/2013 10:54 AM
Zimmerman is also a bigger injury risk and not quite as good offensively.
3/28/2013 11:07 AM
Yes, you got that right.    Compare 1B contracts to 3B contracts. 

Yes, playing in LA/SEA, Beltre put up good numbers.   After moving to more hitter-friendly parks, he's destroying the ball.  That said, I thought TEX was stupid for signing him to that deal at the time but he's earning the money.

3/28/2013 11:08 AM
Yes, I'm comparing this 1B contract to 3B contracts because 3B is a more valued position.  As in, Miguel Cabrera's value goes up after he moves from 1B to 3B (as long as he's not a disaster at 3B, which I'd argue he wasn't.)

Wright put up better numbers than Beltre over the course of his career.  I wonder what Wright would do in Texas!
3/28/2013 11:17 AM
OK, good.  Pujols, Texiera, Fielder(off the top of my head).    Which three 3B make as much?
3/28/2013 11:19 AM
We'll never know what Wright could do in Texas.  Because, you know, the Mets overpaid him until he'll be feeble.
3/28/2013 11:20 AM
◂ Prev 1...16|17|18|19|20...31 Next ▸
Gold Glover Jeter, Best SS Evah!!!, robbed of MVP Topic

Search Criteria

Terms of Use Customer Support Privacy Statement

© 1999-2024 WhatIfSports.com, Inc. All rights reserved. WhatIfSports is a trademark of WhatIfSports.com, Inc. SimLeague, SimMatchup and iSimNow are trademarks or registered trademarks of Electronic Arts, Inc. Used under license. The names of actual companies and products mentioned herein may be the trademarks of their respective owners.