Gold Glover Jeter, Best SS Evah!!!, robbed of MVP Topic

Posted by MikeT23 on 3/28/2013 2:30:00 PM (view original):

Wright was under contract.   I don't think you're the GM of any MLB club therefore you don't KNOW anything about what 31 other teams would have spent on him.   As I said, Beltre is your best example.  He's been a better hitter and he has to meet performance standards to get that last 16m.

The Mets bid against themselves and overpaid for the "right" to do so.

And probably for the right to battle for 4th for the duration of the deal.

So that's what you're saying. Had the Mets allowed Wright to become a free agent after 2013, he would have gotten less on the open market than the extension he got with the Mets.

And no, Wright has been a better hitter than Beltre.

Wright: .301/.381/.506 with a 135 OPS+
Beltre: .280/.331/.476 with a 112 OPS+

Thanks for playing.
3/28/2013 2:33 PM
Posted by MikeT23 on 3/28/2013 2:30:00 PM (view original):

Wright was under contract.   I don't think you're the GM of any MLB club therefore you don't KNOW anything about what 31 other teams would have spent on him.   As I said, Beltre is your best example.  He's been a better hitter and he has to meet performance standards to get that last 16m.

The Mets bid against themselves and overpaid for the "right" to do so.

And probably for the right to battle for 4th for the duration of the deal.

Wright has been a better hitter than Beltre. Especially before the Texas deal.  So I don't know what the hell you're talking about.  

Also, Beltre's "performance standard" is to simply stay healthy. 
3/28/2013 2:54 PM
What does Wright have to do to collect his full contract? 

Not die?
3/28/2013 3:12 PM
Yes.

Tell me more about how much better Beltre is and that his contract was market value.

3/28/2013 3:19 PM

Beltre is a better hitter and his contract was market value because, well, he was actually on the market.

Tell me about how the Mets are close to contending and how locking down Wright while he was still under contract til he's 37 is a good thing?  

Also, is he going to be ready to help the Mets out of the gate?

3/28/2013 3:39 PM
Beltre is not a better hitter.
3/28/2013 3:51 PM
Can you explain how Beltre is a better hitter?

Santana and Bay off the books next year, and another year away from Madoff, supposedly means the Mets can go back to spending money.  They should have one of the better pitching staffs in baseball this year, and it should be getting better.  They see Wright has part of the solution.  Should non-contending teams take the Astros approach of having no ML talent? 

If you don't lock down Wright while he's under contract, you run the risk of losing him.  Wright's camp approached the Mets about extending.  Saying "no, let's wait" doesn't look very good.  

Yes, probably.
3/28/2013 4:01 PM
Wright strikes out a lot for a doubles hitter.    Beltre strikes out less and hits more homers.    Wright is better at walking.   That's what I want from a middle of the line-up hitter.   Walks. 

I thought you were a "take it or leave it" guy.   Does that not apply to players on your team, Mr. Comiskey?
3/28/2013 4:13 PM
Posted by MikeT23 on 3/28/2013 4:13:00 PM (view original):
Wright strikes out a lot for a doubles hitter.    Beltre strikes out less and hits more homers.    Wright is better at walking.   That's what I want from a middle of the line-up hitter.   Walks. 

I thought you were a "take it or leave it" guy.   Does that not apply to players on your team, Mr. Comiskey?
Wright has Beltre by 20 points in batting average, 50 points in on base percentage, and 30 points in slugging. And those are all raw numbers. Use OPS+ to account for the differences in ballparks and Wright runs away with it, 135 to 112.
3/28/2013 4:31 PM
Also, Beltre only averages 1 more home run per 162 games, 27 to 26. (If you break it down by seasons instead of 162 games, the difference is the same, 23 to 22)

3/28/2013 4:33 PM
I actually like the comparison of Beltre and Wright.  They are about as equal as any other third basemen in baseball.  I give Wright a slight edge because he has better speed/base stealing ability.
3/28/2013 5:26 PM
They have different strengths.   Personally, I want my middle of the line-up guy to hit the ball rather than take a walk.   If those guys can't drive in the run, rather than pass it to the next guy, they don't need to be middle of the order.     Wright whiffs and walks better.   Good for him.  Lesser hitter.
3/28/2013 5:35 PM
Posted by MikeT23 on 3/28/2013 5:35:00 PM (view original):
They have different strengths.   Personally, I want my middle of the line-up guy to hit the ball rather than take a walk.   If those guys can't drive in the run, rather than pass it to the next guy, they don't need to be middle of the order.     Wright whiffs and walks better.   Good for him.  Lesser hitter.
You are a retard.
3/28/2013 5:42 PM
This is not new information.  Mike has always thought it's a great idea to put guys with a .325 OBP in the 3 and 4 spots...
3/28/2013 6:41 PM
It's a known fact that the #3 hitter bats with two out more than any other spot.    Yeah, take a walk, man on 1st, two out.   Rally time!!!!
3/28/2013 8:18 PM
◂ Prev 1...18|19|20|21|22...31 Next ▸
Gold Glover Jeter, Best SS Evah!!!, robbed of MVP Topic

Search Criteria

Terms of Use Customer Support Privacy Statement

© 1999-2024 WhatIfSports.com, Inc. All rights reserved. WhatIfSports is a trademark of WhatIfSports.com, Inc. SimLeague, SimMatchup and iSimNow are trademarks or registered trademarks of Electronic Arts, Inc. Used under license. The names of actual companies and products mentioned herein may be the trademarks of their respective owners.