Gold Glover Jeter, Best SS Evah!!!, robbed of MVP Topic

Maybe you'd want the guy with the higher slugging percentage?

Don't try to argue that Beltre is a better hitter than Wright, it makes you look stupid.
3/28/2013 8:32 PM
Posted by MikeT23 on 3/28/2013 4:13:00 PM (view original):
Wright strikes out a lot for a doubles hitter.    Beltre strikes out less and hits more homers.    Wright is better at walking.   That's what I want from a middle of the line-up hitter.   Walks. 

I thought you were a "take it or leave it" guy.   Does that not apply to players on your team, Mr. Comiskey?
That's all great, but Wright's a better hitter, regardless.  They also average about the same number of homers, and prior to Beltre's contract, Wright averaged more.

When it comes to players I'd be offering more than market value to, I don't see the point in negotiating from that point.  If I offer 3 years $24 million, and Jeter asks for 3 years, $27 million, I guess I'd accept that.  That's sort of what happened, except the Yankees opened at 3 years, $45 million instead.
3/29/2013 8:44 AM
define 'better hitter'
3/29/2013 9:31 AM
Better average, better OBP, better slugging percentage...
3/29/2013 9:39 AM
Posted by burnsy483 on 3/29/2013 9:39:00 AM (view original):
Better average, better OBP, better slugging percentage...
Yep, that's it.
3/29/2013 9:40 AM
Wright's better than Beltre but it's beside the point. To say the Mets negotiated against themselves and overpayed for Wright like the Yankees did with Jeter, you'd have to think Wright couldn't have gotten a better deal on the open market. Considering the fact that he is among the top 10-15 position players in all of baseball (Cano is the only Yankee better than Wright), he absolutely could have gotten a bigger deal somewhere else.

The same can't be said of Jeter when he signed his last deal.
3/29/2013 9:54 AM
Posted by burnsy483 on 3/29/2013 8:44:00 AM (view original):
Posted by MikeT23 on 3/28/2013 4:13:00 PM (view original):
Wright strikes out a lot for a doubles hitter.    Beltre strikes out less and hits more homers.    Wright is better at walking.   That's what I want from a middle of the line-up hitter.   Walks. 

I thought you were a "take it or leave it" guy.   Does that not apply to players on your team, Mr. Comiskey?
That's all great, but Wright's a better hitter, regardless.  They also average about the same number of homers, and prior to Beltre's contract, Wright averaged more.

When it comes to players I'd be offering more than market value to, I don't see the point in negotiating from that point.  If I offer 3 years $24 million, and Jeter asks for 3 years, $27 million, I guess I'd accept that.  That's sort of what happened, except the Yankees opened at 3 years, $45 million instead.
Sorry, you're looking at a full body of work.   That's incorrect.   Do you think a 30 y/o is more likely to perform as he did when he was 22 or when he was 29?   Over the last three years, Beltre makes Wright look like a Little Leaguer. 

Here's what happened with the Mets/Wright:
W: "I know I'm under contract but let's negotiate."
M: "We don't have any money.  Madoff stole it."
W: "Yeah, yeah, I want an extension."
M:  "But we'd be negotiating against ourselves."
W: "OK, how about 8 years, 140m?"
M: "No, 8 years, 138m!"
W:  "Deal!"
M(to themselves);  "Hehe.  We sure got over on him."

3/29/2013 9:59 AM
Fine, let's look at the last 5 seasons for Wright and Beltre before their deals.

Wright, age 30 - .293/.376/.486
Beltre, age 32 - .280/.330/.472

I already explained what happened with Mets/Wright.
3/29/2013 10:10 AM
Here's what happened with Yankees/Jeter.

J: I want 5 years, $100 million!
Y: Um...no, you don't deserve that.
J: But A-Rod makes moreeeee....this a fair offer!
Y: No, it isn't, you're old and not very good anymore.
J: But look what all I did for you!
Y: We paid you for that already.
J: WAHHHHHHHHH
Y: Uggh, fine, we'll give you 3 years, $45 million.
J: THAT'S DISRESPECTFUL!
Y: But that's much more what you're worth.
J: WAHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH
3/29/2013 10:13 AM
Look at the last three years.  LAST THREE YEARS.  "Over the last three years, Beltre makes Wright look like a Little Leaguer."

I know you don't want to but that's what I'm saying.  Beltre has been the better hitter and the Mets let Wright bend them over.   They decided to negotiate against themselves.   Look how that worked out for the Rangers with A-Roid. 

3/29/2013 10:14 AM
But, in the Rangers defense, A-Roid wasn't under contract to them at the time.
3/29/2013 10:15 AM
I bet Wright has one of the highest BABIP in baseball. 
3/29/2013 10:17 AM
LOL, yep.

http://www.fangraphs.com/comparison.aspx?playerid=3787&playerid2=&playerid3=&position=3b&page=7&type=full

Every "advanced metric" junkie knows what he'd doing is unsustainable.   Right?
3/29/2013 10:21 AM
In 2011, his BABIP was league average.  And he was chump-like.  

Good buy, Mets!!!!!!
3/29/2013 10:22 AM
3/29/2013 10:23 AM
◂ Prev 1...19|20|21|22|23...31 Next ▸
Gold Glover Jeter, Best SS Evah!!!, robbed of MVP Topic

Search Criteria

Terms of Use Customer Support Privacy Statement

© 1999-2024 WhatIfSports.com, Inc. All rights reserved. WhatIfSports is a trademark of WhatIfSports.com, Inc. SimLeague, SimMatchup and iSimNow are trademarks or registered trademarks of Electronic Arts, Inc. Used under license. The names of actual companies and products mentioned herein may be the trademarks of their respective owners.