Gold Glover Jeter, Best SS Evah!!!, robbed of MVP Topic

Says the guy blathering on at 11:30 at night.   Did you wife finally leave you so you'e boozing it up and posting?   Get a ******* life.
4/30/2014 7:14 AM
Move over, Honus.  
8/10/2014 8:33 AM
If Jeter was in another city he would be just another guy.. One of the most overrated players of this generation.....
8/16/2014 8:55 PM
LOL.

1. Pete Rose (24) 4256 B
2. Ty Cobb+ (24) 4189 L
3. Hank Aaron+ (23) 3771 R
4. Stan Musial+ (22) 3630 L
5. Tris Speaker+ (22) 3514 L
6. Cap Anson+ (27) 3435 R
7. Derek Jeter (20, 40) 3434 R
8. Honus Wagner+ (21) 3420 R
9. Carl Yastrzemski+ (23) 3419 L
10. Paul Molitor+ (21) 3319 R

If you want to say "overrated", go ahead.   I disagree but to each his own.    But if you want to say "If Jeter was in another city he would be just another guy", you know nothing about baseball.   Good luck with that.
8/16/2014 10:06 PM
Molitor is a great example.   Played in the relative obscurity of MIL/MIN/TOR.    Hardly any post-season appearances.    Do you consider him "just another guy" or one of the best hitters in his era?
8/16/2014 10:34 PM
Somewhere between those two poles?
8/17/2014 12:44 AM
If you don't know much about baseball, sure. 
8/17/2014 6:15 AM
PETER H. ROSE
8/17/2014 6:24 AM
Jeter is def one of the best hitters in the game. But the dude is a below average fielder. No way he should have as many gold gloves as he has had. And the sad thing about MVPS is that they look more at HRs and RBIs than anything. They don't take into consideration defense at all. 
8/17/2014 2:29 PM
So, if Jeter collected about 3500 hits in San Diego would he have been "just another guy"?   Simple question.
8/17/2014 2:52 PM
Posted by MikeT23 on 8/17/2014 6:15:00 AM (view original):
If you don't know much about baseball, sure. 
You'd have to not know much about baseball to think that hit totals make somebody one of the best hitters of his generation.  Maybe it's unfair because so much of Jeter's career fell during the most offensive period in the history of baseball, but he's not one of the best hitters of his generation.  Not even close.  His offensive value is light years behind numerous contemporaries, from pure power guys like Thome and Frank Thomas to comparable speed/power guys like Larry Walker, Griffey, or A-Rod.

And to clarify, if I had to choose between Jeter and Walker on a career basis, it's a tough call.  But if you're looking for a time when you could call Jeter one of the best hitters in baseball, the only year you could really try to point to is 1999.  And Walker was head-and-shoulders better than Jeter in 1999.  For that matter, so were Chipper Jones, Jeff Bagwell, and Manny Ramirez.  You could make a pretty strong argument that Jeter wasn't even the best offensive SS in his best season, as Nomar beat him out by 8 points of average, 33 points of OPS, and put together more HR and more doubles in spite of playing in 23 fewer games.

I'm not saying that Jeter's not a HOF.  I'm just saying keep it in perspective.  He's not one of the best hitters of his generation.  He was never one of the best players in baseball.  He did put together remarkable longevity and a great injury track record, and he always played hard and certainly is one of the guys you would say "played the game the right way."  I don't give him a lot of credit for playing SS given how poorly he did so, but it does add a little bit of extra meaning to his longevity and health.  On balance, his career has been great.  But after all the talk about Beltre being "a compiler" and therefore unworthy of the Hall of Fame (not from you, necessarily, but in general) it seems worth pointing out that Jeter falls into the same category.  Easily.  This will be Beltre's 6th season with 130 or better OPS+; Jeter has 2.  To say he was ever one of the best hitters in baseball is just silly.
8/17/2014 10:32 PM
Posted by MikeT23 on 8/17/2014 2:52:00 PM (view original):
So, if Jeter collected about 3500 hits in San Diego would he have been "just another guy"?   Simple question.
This. 
8/18/2014 8:27 AM
I for one will miss Jeter.  The Sox v. Yanks rivalry will not be the same without old #2.  Same goes for when Papi hangs it up.  Will be strange to watch a Sox-Yanks game without those 2.

Great career, good guy, great Yankee, competitor, etc....1st ballot Hall Of Famer, you bet.

All that...and Jeter is still overrated by most.

8/18/2014 9:24 AM
Meh.  Announcers are going to gush over popular players because the casual fan knows who they are, hometeam fans are going to defend their guy because he's their guy, other players are going to talk those guys up because, if they disparage them, they become public enemy #1(see ARod dissing Jeter).   Jeter was top 10 in MVP voting 6-7 times and deserved it every time. His team was in the playoffs virtually every season since he joined them.  He's been the face of the Yankees(who are the face of baseball) for 20 years.   I don't really know who's doing the "overrating" but he's gotten plenty of coverage due to all of the above.
8/18/2014 9:48 AM
I don't think he's overrated except by some Yankee fans...
8/18/2014 12:51 PM
◂ Prev 1...26|27|28|29|30|31 Next ▸
Gold Glover Jeter, Best SS Evah!!!, robbed of MVP Topic

Search Criteria

Terms of Use Customer Support Privacy Statement

© 1999-2024 WhatIfSports.com, Inc. All rights reserved. WhatIfSports is a trademark of WhatIfSports.com, Inc. SimLeague, SimMatchup and iSimNow are trademarks or registered trademarks of Electronic Arts, Inc. Used under license. The names of actual companies and products mentioned herein may be the trademarks of their respective owners.