Do Rookies often win championships? Topic

Does anyone know the APPROXIMATE (guesstimate) percentage of rookies that win Simleague open league baseball championships.  Is it rare?  Just wondering if I have a chance.  Most of you seem to know what your doing and have an overexaggerated love for pitching over hitting. Responses appreciated. Thanks.  
11/26/2010 9:49 AM
Overexaggerated?  Personally, I think it's exaggerated just right.

Oh, and if you do win a ring with your first ever team, please don't tell amy!
11/26/2010 10:04 AM
ask winter_frost or maybe miami_tilt2  ....wait, they might be the same person....so just ask one of them.
11/26/2010 10:46 AM
My first season I just put any team together, some of my favorite players just to learn the game for fun and finish not too well.  I'm almost done with my 3rd team and about to finish in the same place as I did the first two years. My 4rth team is waiting to fill, but hopefully I will be in the hunt the next year. Either way its a fun game.
11/26/2010 3:57 PM
Yeah I am tired of all those experienced players who over exaggerate and emphasize pitching.  We should instead, draft out favorite hitters and win lots of leagues like all those Noobs.

Just a piece of advice, when asking experienced players for their advice. This is advice which is chock full of trial and error and hours of dedication, try not an insult them while asking.  

Good luck.
11/26/2010 4:02 PM
Posted by crazystengel on 11/26/2010 10:04:00 AM (view original):

Guess I should hide from Amy then ...

And it is very possible to win the WS with your first attempt... but you need to spend a while reading the forums and doing good research prior to submitting your first team.
11/26/2010 8:47 PM
I would say that most rookies that win a Championship are old users using new usernames.
11/26/2010 8:51 PM
Posted by Bilfert on 11/26/2010 8:51:00 PM (view original):
I would say that most rookies that win a Championship are old users using new usernames.
Well not this guy, but I almost blew that first WS up 3-0 and let my opponent come within a few outs of winning 4 straight for an epic collapse...
11/26/2010 8:57 PM
Posted by crazystengel on 11/26/2010 10:04:00 AM (view original):

I was supposed to get a ring?  Who do I complain to?
11/26/2010 9:22 PM
It IS rare, as it should be. A lot of new owners come into the forum and complain that they don't win right away (not implying this is you, just don't let it become you). The problem is, they are facing owners who are fielding their 5th team, their 20th, or their 100th team, and all of whom also expect to win. For every team that wins, there has to be one that loses (well almost but you get the point). If the other owners have any learning curve at all, then you shouldn't expect to finish over .500. Its just not realistic. Read the forums a lot (not sure how helpful they are anymore). Ask questions if you can't find the answer via the 'search' tool. Hopefully those questions are more geared towards 'How does the sim work?" rather than "Who should I draft so I can win more games?".
Good luck!
11/26/2010 11:59 PM
If you understand baseball, read up on how the sim works, and play win sim match-up it is possible, but not probable, to win a championship with your first team.  I remember one person (profcake maybe?) had done that.  Several people (including myself) have made the playoffs with their first team which IMO isjust about as impressive given what a crap-shoot the post-season is 
11/27/2010 3:55 AM
There are really only about 15 real players in Sim. Each has 15-100 other identies as well. So yeah, rookies could win....
11/28/2010 3:58 PM
A true rookie winning a world series on the first try would be a long shot indeed.  My first two open league teams made the playoffs, but had it handed to me by 2 HOFers, started my playoff record at 0 - 6.
11/28/2010 8:16 PM
Each of my first 4 teams made the playoffs (OL, $40m, $255m, & a Cubs theme), but it took me almost two years before I won my first WS. I know several owners that made the playoffs with their first teams, but know of only two that won the WS in their first try.
11/29/2010 12:57 AM
I won with my first team.  I don't perfectly remember the team but I got REALLY lucky with AAA (that was easier back then) and a few months later I would never have entered that team in a paid league.  I had also played some spring leagues before I played a real one.  A lot of spring leagues I think...
11/29/2010 4:19 AM
12 Next ▸
Do Rookies often win championships? Topic

Search Criteria

Terms of Use Customer Support Privacy Statement

© 1999-2024 WhatIfSports.com, Inc. All rights reserved. WhatIfSports is a trademark of WhatIfSports.com, Inc. SimLeague, SimMatchup and iSimNow are trademarks or registered trademarks of Electronic Arts, Inc. Used under license. The names of actual companies and products mentioned herein may be the trademarks of their respective owners.