Fielding +/- and range question Topic

I've been overlooking fielding for too long - which probably explains my mediocre performance in the sim (that along with my insistence on not drafting Carruthers or Joss).  So if you have some advice for me - please chime in on how to include fielding in my team building and not end up with a team that gets one run on five hits each game.  My team that just finished 85-77 had some atrocious fielding numbers.  132 errors, 27 plus plays and over 80 minus plays.  The thing that flashes as a big red sign as to how bad they actually were at fielding was that of the 27 plus plays 13 were by pitchers.  I had 14 plus plays in 162 games by my position players and 11 of those were by my AAA!!  I had THREE plus plays by position players I drafted.  Dilone, Panda, Bip Roberts and Spike Owen combined for 76 errors, ZERO plus plays and 59 minus plays.  So what is the contributing factor to plus plays and good fielding?  I know with the update deadballers will drag down decent fielders, but is range more important or equally important to fielding.  I have a tendency to draft good hitters with who are A/D or A/C fielders.  Is a C/A fielder better that an A/C fielder at key positions (SS/2B/CF)?  Any guidance appreciated.  FYI - my starting rotation for this team was 97 Maddux, 10 Ed Walsh, 16 Faber, 63 Turk Farrell.
11/27/2010 6:42 PM
Try drafting a 2B, 3B, SS, and CF with at least a C range.
11/27/2010 6:53 PM
Within each letter rating, there is a numerical range. Look for players who are (at least) on the high end of that numerical rating (RRF). Other than that, if you have been reading the forums, for every "D" team that does well, there is a "no D" team that does well. What salary cap is the team you reference? You don't list the years of your players, other than the P,  but I have done very well with dilone and bip on my team.
11/27/2010 7:34 PM
since last + plays freq. update who can tell about fielding or range !

I.E.

C/B+ RF getting 3 times more +'s then an A/A+ CF

D- / A+ 1B  winning a golden glove?

a  B- / A+ (6+ RF) SS getting 1/3 the +'s as a B+ ranger @ SS

you pay for SLG% but never get close to real #'s so i try not to let fielding short comings get to me either
11/27/2010 8:54 PM
The of plus plays are on a comparative scale.....most cf's have great range, so an a+ cf is not much better than 'an average' CF........The corner of's do not usually have as good or great range, so it is much easier to get more + plays there )even with a b or b+ guy) if that is what you are looking for.

And fielding tends to impact errors, while range impacts +/- plays
11/27/2010 9:40 PM
Posted by pfattkatt on 11/27/2010 7:34:00 PM (view original):
Within each letter rating, there is a numerical range. Look for players who are (at least) on the high end of that numerical rating (RRF). Other than that, if you have been reading the forums, for every "D" team that does well, there is a "no D" team that does well. What salary cap is the team you reference? You don't list the years of your players, other than the P,  but I have done very well with dilone and bip on my team.
80 Dilone, 09 Pablo Sandoval, 04 Bip, 87 Spike Owen.  I like using Spike because he is SOOOO cheap, hits about .250 and does pretty decent from the 8 hole for $2.45M.  I think I've used him probably 4 of the 7 seasons in performance history, including his best when he hit .291.
11/27/2010 10:16 PM
!!!!!!!!!!!!!Match your fielding and range to your pitching!!!!!!!!!!

If you are using old-time pitchers, use high FP (Fielding) position players.
If you are using modern pitchers, you can sacrifice a lot in fielding.

If you go with weaker pitchers in general (higher oavg#), go with better range.
If you have stronger pitchers in general (low oavg#), go with average range (~c)

If you have high-K pitchers you can go slightly lower on fielding everywhere and you csan go slightly lower on IF range
If you have low-K pitchers, you need higher fielding everywhere and you need slightly higher IF range.

Also know that C range and 1B fielding don't mean anything.  Don't waste you $$ and time finding a high Fielding 1B or a rangey catcher.

Average range in CF is ~B+ or A- depending on park and pitching
Average range in RF or LF is D+ to C depending on park and pitching.
11/29/2010 10:29 PM (edited)
Thank you very much for the advice!!!
11/29/2010 4:07 PM
!!!!EVERYBODY WINS!!!!
11/30/2010 4:35 PM
Except me...I just keep breaking even :)
11/30/2010 11:12 PM
Fielding +/- and range question Topic

Search Criteria

Terms of Use Customer Support Privacy Statement

© 1999-2024 WhatIfSports.com, Inc. All rights reserved. WhatIfSports is a trademark of WhatIfSports.com, Inc. SimLeague, SimMatchup and iSimNow are trademarks or registered trademarks of Electronic Arts, Inc. Used under license. The names of actual companies and products mentioned herein may be the trademarks of their respective owners.