Im in a franchise progressive league that I have the Padres.  Beginning next year I have to use Petco vs. Qualcomm.  In the 3 seasons previously, I feel like the team has underachieved (even though I have beaten the real life numbers W/L).  I am beginning to think I am picking the wrong players.  for -3 on singles/doubles and -3 on HRs.  What types of guys do you select?  I know about the triples but other than that fluke which hitters do better, singles guys or hr guys....all will probably be under RL I know.
11/29/2010 9:09 PM
Oviously triple hitters with high obp are a good fit.  Unfortunately they be hard to find ...  If you can't find triples, I'd look at obp and spped (stolen bases).  I'd take average over slugging for my middle of the lineup.
11/29/2010 10:15 PM

depends on what kind of HR/9 your opponents pitchers have. In an Open League I'd lean toward hits because you'll face so may low HR pitchers. In a progressive you'll probably see bigger HR/9 numbers. 
if your choices are limited dont overthink just go with the better overall player in most cases.

11/30/2010 12:56 AM (edited)
walks and speed. but as rbow said, in a progressive you mostly want to go with the better players and things will work themselves out.
11/30/2010 7:34 AM
In order, at Petco, I'd take 3b/100 PA#, speed, OBP, and rangy Ofs... I'd forget about power and HR/9# entirely.
11/30/2010 4:57 PM
I'm building a team for Petco, and I have two speedy OFs plus Ted Williams.  I wanted some power for other parks, and, after all, Adrian Gonzalez is a lefty power hitter who does well enough playing half his games at Petco.  I have another speed OF in reserve as a late inning defensive replacement for Ted.
12/3/2010 4:15 PM
Don't forget Williams is playing 82 games at Petco. This will drag his effectiveness considerably.
12/3/2010 4:40 PM
Posted by napolean on 12/3/2010 4:40:00 PM (view original):
Don't forget Williams is playing 82 games at Petco. This will drag his effectiveness considerably.
So does Gonzalez.
12/3/2010 5:04 PM
Well, 81 unless something goofy happens... Anyway, what Adrian Gonzalez did in Petco in real life doesn't have anything to do with how Ted Williams will do in Petco in the sim.  -3 is -3.  For another thing, it's not like Gonzalez was immune to Petco.  If the park was smaller he would have hit more home runs there.
12/3/2010 7:17 PM
Posted by llamanunts on 12/3/2010 7:17:00 PM (view original):
Well, 81 unless something goofy happens... Anyway, what Adrian Gonzalez did in Petco in real life doesn't have anything to do with how Ted Williams will do in Petco in the sim.  -3 is -3.  For another thing, it's not like Gonzalez was immune to Petco.  If the park was smaller he would have hit more home runs there.
All true.  I might swap Ted yet.  I just don't want to go strictly speed and doubles power.  Home run power in the middle of the order has its place.
12/4/2010 12:31 PM
Oh, I agree.  I'm just a nitpicker.
12/4/2010 3:20 PM

Search Criteria

Terms of Use Customer Support Privacy Statement

© 1999-2024 WhatIfSports.com, Inc. All rights reserved. WhatIfSports is a trademark of WhatIfSports.com, Inc. SimLeague, SimMatchup and iSimNow are trademarks or registered trademarks of Electronic Arts, Inc. Used under license. The names of actual companies and products mentioned herein may be the trademarks of their respective owners.