Can this D2 player get drafted? Topic

Can my C Sebastian Abate get drafted?  He's got fantastic ratings, he's 3x cpoy, 2x npoy, and will be the all-time leading scorer in Knight d2 history after my s16 game tonight.  
12/5/2010 5:46 PM
The one word answer is "No". But, going a little further, congrats are in order. Abate is the best DII player I've ever seen, top to bottom. To end up with a player of this quality you had to have done a number of things right, from recruiting him to the correct practice plan to handling him right in the games. All of that said, he would have been a good DI player, but not great. He would be a starter on most DI teams, but not all. In DII, though, he's without a doubt a player to remember!
12/5/2010 6:55 PM
No.
12/5/2010 7:27 PM
Wow! That guy is an absolute stud. I know it's possible to have a D2 player drafted and this guy looks like a heckuva candidate if their ever was one.
12/5/2010 8:18 PM
Interesting response on how good this guy is. I had a D3 C with very similar ratings. Only diff is my guy had 34ath/spd and 28in bh/passing.
12/5/2010 11:11 PM
Ath is very important in bigs. Spd not so much.
12/5/2010 11:47 PM
Actually, tkimble, yes he could get drafted. With his National accolades and high core ratings he could. However, I would say 70/30 he doesn't. He is a fantastic Center though at the Division 2 level, kudos.
12/6/2010 12:07 AM
I've had D2 players drafted before, so it's possible, but I don't think he'll get picked up.  He's got an outside shot, but I just think he'll be considered as lacking in a few too many categories.

P.S.  I know you remember my Center for N. Colorado named Emilio Reyes, right?  He was Conference POY three times, 1st Team All-Conference three times, 2nd Team once, Freshman of the Year for the conference, and Defensive POY for the conference once.  On a national level, he was POY once, Freshman of the Year, and made the 1st, 2nd, and 3rd teams once each.  Finished as the third leading scorer in Knight D2 history (at the time).   And (although it can't be pulled up now, which is STUPID by the way, that you can't pull up graduated players final ratings) actually had better overall ratings than Abate and for all that, went undrafted and is now flipping burgers at some hole-in-the-wall fast food joint in BFE.

He can look down and see that National Championship ring he won in his sophomore season though, so Abate's got to get one of those before he can enter the "best ever big man in D2 Knight" conversation!!!  :^)

In all seriousness, I remember when we played each other when Abate was a freshman.  I knew he was gonna be a stud then, just didn't know he would be THIS good.  Kudos on doing a fine job with him.  By the way, this is also Dcy if you hadn't realized by now.
12/6/2010 12:58 AM (edited)

Better per,bh/pass he probably would with a Final 4. This past season in Phelan a D2 player was the last pick in the 2nd round for the team who lost in the title game.

12/6/2010 12:47 AM
Betcha this D3 player will graduate with decently similar ratings...
12/6/2010 2:41 AM
Posted by cornfused on 12/6/2010 2:41:00 AM (view original):
http://whatifsports.com/hd/PlayerProfile/Ratings.aspx?tid=0&pid=1653099

this one too
12/6/2010 2:52 AM
that guy is going to be an absolute STUD....I cant remember EVER seeing a DIII guy that good with 2 seasons left to play. wow
12/6/2010 2:53 AM
that guy is going to be an absolute STUD....I cant remember EVER seeing a DIII guy that good with 2 seasons left to play. wow
12/6/2010 2:53 AM
Abate is pretty awesome though.  He was the only D2 big (and possibly player, period) in the country that was better than my PF Christopher Elliott:
http://whatifsports.com/hd/PlayerProfile/Ratings.aspx?tid=0&pid=1681381  

Elliott only played 2 seasons but was 13 points away from passing the guy who was the #1 all time leading scorer at the school coming into the season (another 4 year player on the roster previously passed this mark earlier this season).  A player to remember for sure, but not as draftable as Abate
12/6/2010 2:59 AM
That guy is a beast tkimble, Did you have to battle for him? I'm surprised at how often studs fall through the cracks...don't you upper division teams have lots of money to scout with? 

The D3 guys are sweet as well. There was a "best D3 player ever" thread a few weeks ago:

http://www.whatifsports.com/forums/Posts.aspx?TopicID=428828&TopicsTimeframe=30&TopicsPage=4
12/6/2010 3:58 AM
123 Next ▸
Can this D2 player get drafted? Topic

Search Criteria

Terms of Use Customer Support Privacy Statement

© 1999-2024 WhatIfSports.com, Inc. All rights reserved. WhatIfSports is a trademark of WhatIfSports.com, Inc. SimLeague, SimMatchup and iSimNow are trademarks or registered trademarks of Electronic Arts, Inc. Used under license. The names of actual companies and products mentioned herein may be the trademarks of their respective owners.