help. please!! Topic

Now, I have had some success in this game, generally in the 120m cap range. Whenever I go to lower caps, pitching fatigue kills me. I am working on a team for a simple 100m cap league, no AAA. I drafted 1448 IP, and I know that should  be enough. My question is this: what sort of IP numbers are sufficient in A) rotation B) set up A and B and C) closer(s). Any help will be appreciated. As i drafted: rotation 236, 224, 279, 238. LRs 144, 105. Other RPs 51, 27, 35, 52, 29, 28. Thank you.
12/15/2010 5:33 PM
A good rule of thumb is to have at least 4 guys in the bullpen that can finish the game. I don't know what the IP/G for all those RPs are, but if they are all 1IP/G guys, you may have some appearance fatigue problems even though you drafted enough innings.
I'd aim at having no more than 4 pitchers appear in any one game. 3 would be better. A starter, a long relief, and one short relief. Make sure the long relief guys' pitch counts reflect pitching 81 games.
12/15/2010 6:24 PM (edited)
I'd like to know what the IPG for the Lr guys are before offering an opinion. Looks as if it's the type of staff you're going to have to manage game by game.
12/15/2010 8:08 PM
Apparently, ip/g has been the biggest part of my problem, I really never payed enough attention to it. When I looked at the starting rotation I was going to select, none had an ip'g over 7, and the 279 inning guy had an ip/g below 5!!!! The 2 LRs both have ip/g above 8, and I have gone back to the drawing board for my starters. Thanks boog, and RWcup, that was something I really needed to hear.
12/15/2010 8:23 PM
Your closer should really be between 40-60 innings if you have a choice. Your LR should probably be at least 90 and needs an IP/G of at least 3. You should have at least one setup guy with 70+ innings. Obviously the rest will depend on your options and how many roster spots you want to use. 

If you're going over 1400 innings you might want to add a long B who is worse than your long A. For around 1440 with a 4-man I'd probably end up something like this:

SP1 240
SP2 240
SP3 240
SP4 240
LRA 100
LRB 80
SUA 80
SUA 60
SUA 60
SUB 50
CLA 50

12/15/2010 10:19 PM
total IP is much more important than what roles you draft. once you have the innings you can divide them any way you want just remember to make adjustments along the way. ip/g is not important if you have a lot of pitchers. ip/g is an annoyance if you dont have many pitchers and can be offset by drafting a few more innings. If the league uses DH you need more total IP, though1448 should still be enough.
12/16/2010 9:00 PM (edited)
Posted by boogerlips on 12/15/2010 6:24:00 PM (view original):
A good rule of thumb is to have at least 4 guys in the bullpen that can finish the game. I don't know what the IP/G for all those RPs are, but if they are all 1IP/G guys, you may have some appearance fatigue problems even though you drafted enough innings.
I'd aim at having no more than 4 pitchers appear in any one game. 3 would be better. A starter, a long relief, and one short relief. Make sure the long relief guys' pitch counts reflect pitching 81 games.
So your saying 4 pitchers in every game, rest the rest. So no closer? What about the AAA guys? By the way there is not set way,strict way, in playing this game,so I think, but its neat to see different peoples approaches to the game.
12/16/2010 5:44 PM
The original poster said there wasn't any AAA.
I never said no closer. I'm comenting on what the OPs team looks like. He didn't tell us how good they were. 
You should always plan out how many pitchers will appear in games. Thats regardless of your strategy and regardless of how many you draft. If 40% or more of you relief pitchers appear in your average game, you've got problems.
12/17/2010 1:55 AM
if guys are 95% or better in fatigue in the pen I usually play them no matter or how many what and then they get used and they all get tired. I see what you are saying, use your pen wisely.
12/17/2010 10:13 AM
I cannot thank you all enough for answering me here. Who knows how it will all play out?? but at least I have some ideas to work on and try and develop. Thanks again!!
12/17/2010 3:54 PM
I starting to get a little frustrated, my GoodSox4 team is getting exposed by a weakness in the bullpen. Could someone check out that team and see what my pitching is lacking? Is it Latman's BB/9 or is it Dietz ERA?  So far in four leagues I have been average at best.
12/18/2010 2:43 PM
Make Faber's pitch count 90max. Eckersley 15max. Those are just small issues.

Question, what is it you have, relative to the other owners in the league, that make you think you deserve a winning record? If you win 81 games in your first couple leagues, I'd call that a win. The other 23 owners probably all have played more seasons than you, and would probably be pretty frustrated if they weren't beating you.

Remember, this game is hard. It wouldn't be a good game if it wasn't. I've spent hundreds of hours trying to figure out how to score runs efficiently, and the more I figure out, the more I realize how little I know. Learning how many innings and plate appearances to draft, and how to feel your way around the managing options will give you a nice kick start in the direction of becoming an average open leaguer, but if you really want to start to win, and be able to win against better competition, its going to take lots and lots of independant study on your part. Be patient and work hard...
12/19/2010 1:11 AM
thanks for your response, and a boost of confidence. Your right, the apples dont fall from the tree the first year.  Thanks, everyone on hear has been really patient and generous.
12/19/2010 1:32 PM
I realize how little I know

-Boogerlips

True dat
12/20/2010 10:21 AM
12/20/2010 1:51 PM
12 Next ▸
help. please!! Topic

Search Criteria

Terms of Use Customer Support Privacy Statement

© 1999-2024 WhatIfSports.com, Inc. All rights reserved. WhatIfSports is a trademark of WhatIfSports.com, Inc. SimLeague, SimMatchup and iSimNow are trademarks or registered trademarks of Electronic Arts, Inc. Used under license. The names of actual companies and products mentioned herein may be the trademarks of their respective owners.