The Value of Pinch-Hitting Topic

I usually construct teamswith the bench as an afterthought, spending the least possible (theme allowing).  I always figured I'd rather put the extra $50-$100K into the regular line-up or the bullpen.  Well, I may just be changing my mind.

First round of the playoffs, series tied 1-1. Bottom of the 9th, down 2 runs, two on, two out, pinch-hitter Luis Medina steps up and slams a three-run HR to win.  Next game, bottom of the 10th, two outs, tie game, Medina slaps a single to drive in the winning run from second base.

Luis Medina in the first round: 3 AB, 2 hits, 1 HR, 4 RBI, 2 GWRBI.  MVP of the series with only three PAs.
12/22/2010 7:46 PM
I always spend a few pennies extra on the bench, makes a big difference in their hitting ability. often I'll pay half a million for one good PH. they bat when the game is on the line and that makes them valuable. of course if you have some platoons then you have built-in pinch hitters.
12/22/2010 9:15 PM
I don't play much open league these days, but I used to always try and have at least one platoon position on the roster for that exact reason. Here's the though process. if I can find two guys with partial seasons who have similar stats and add up to the same salary as one full-time guy, then I've added a pinch hitter to the roster AND saved $200k in wasted salary on a roster-filling scrub.

Of course finding two guys who are both as cookie-like as the usual starter (Walt Weiss anyone?) can be a real challenge. But man I loved it when I could find two partial-season cookies and pulled off this strategy.
12/22/2010 9:28 PM
On occasion I pony up a couple extra bucks for a Foli-type defensive replacement, or a pinch-runner extraordinnaire (I once had Jose Morban steal 25 bases in a season, solely coming off the bench).  May need to make room for Medina now.
12/22/2010 11:04 PM (edited)
I've never understood the platoon/PHing relationship everybody talks about. Unless you bought excess PAs, then you don't have a PHer.
12/23/2010 1:28 AM
^ those excess PAs can be from a bench scrub backing up the platoon. You have platoon players available to pinch hit in key situations and if fatigue is an issue you can play the scrub at less meaningful times. that's more efficient than using scrubs to pinch hit.
12/23/2010 2:51 AM (edited)
But not more efficient than having a full time position player and a full time PHer.
12/23/2010 4:26 AM
PH like Lloyd Waner will win 2-3 games for sure, perhaps more during a regular season.  Even if a single, in the bottom of 8th or 9th, that can either drive in the tying or start the rally vs. a pitcher hitting or a low average regular.  

Going up in leagues, once I am over 140m, the Ted Williams monster season is on every one of my rosters.  I have gotten 13+ hrs during a single season multiple times.  I actually try and keep track of where Ted singlehandedly hit HRs to tie or provide leads from the 7th inning on...at one season, he had 7.  Think about it...$100m, you try and get to 100 Wins...thats 1m per Win...most PH will produce more than they cost.
12/25/2010 2:57 PM

Sparky pulls pitchers so early and often, that you need a few good pinch hitters.

12/26/2010 9:34 PM
The Value of Pinch-Hitting Topic

Search Criteria

Terms of Use Customer Support Privacy Statement

© 1999-2024 WhatIfSports.com, Inc. All rights reserved. WhatIfSports is a trademark of WhatIfSports.com, Inc. SimLeague, SimMatchup and iSimNow are trademarks or registered trademarks of Electronic Arts, Inc. Used under license. The names of actual companies and products mentioned herein may be the trademarks of their respective owners.