Progressive Question Topic

Here's the situation:

You are preparing for the 2nd draft in a progressive league.   You find players that:

a. Not on the available list and that weren't on a team the first season
b. Appear to be forgotten,  they were on a team but neither kept nor cut from a team

Do you tell anyone?
1/8/2011 7:45 AM
I mention it right away in both scenarios... I don't know if there's a right answer though. IMO if an eligible player isn't on the available list, he shouldn't be available to be drafted.
1/8/2011 9:07 AM
I think in both cases you tell someone.  In the case of (a) I would inform the commish.  In the case of (b) I would inform both the commish and the owner who forgot to list them.

But I have to say that both of these mistakes reflect poorly on the commish of the league, whose primary job is to put in the necessary work to ensure the draft runs smoothly.

Of course, I also believe that all owners have a responsibility to review the list of available players and to ensure their keepers aren't on it.  Which takes all of 2 minutes and is hardly burdensome.  In the league that I run, if one of your keepers is inadvertently listed as available and someone else drafts him, you lose the player.
1/8/2011 9:10 AM
Yep... My answer is (C) - Look into leaving the league due to poor commish.
1/8/2011 7:10 PM
I have to agree with contrarian23, it is the commissioners job to run the draft.  With that being said it seems like very few owners double check their keepers to the available players which is very frustrating as a commissioner.  It is even worse when you specifically tell everybody to double check and your lucky if half the owners take the time to do so.

As for Scenario a., I would let the commish know.  As for scenario b., i think we are all her for fun and i hate to see someone miss out because of a simple mistake such as overlooking a player and forgetting to keep him.  However, if it became a common occurrence, it is that owners loss IMO.
1/8/2011 10:28 PM (edited)
I would site mail the commish ask him to be more carefull  Is this his first progressive.?? .  Draft controvesiereis can kill a progressive,   By the way who is best omisssion available???
1/9/2011 10:48 AM
I'd like to ask how other commissioners do up their available players list each season? I think the best and most accurate way is to work backwards, as in start with every single player available and then delete them as they appear on owners keepers list... I believe some other guys though just use the players left over from old drafts then add rookies and anyone cut. This might be where problems arise either by a player returning from the DL that was never drafted, or owners forgetting to mark a player as cut.

1/9/2011 11:10 AM
minnow, you have described the ONLY way to do this, in my opinion.  Start with every WIS player available, then remove the ones that are on posted keeper lists. 

I also keep a master Excel file with every team's roster on it, and the seasons in which each player appeared.  This serves as a double check, and also helps to identify any players previously on IR but left off of a keeper list.

There have been many requests to admin to help us automate this process; hopefully one of the next big updates will include more tools to help both owners and commissioners in progressives.
1/9/2011 12:36 PM
Posted by biglenr on 1/8/2011 7:10:00 PM (view original):
Yep... My answer is (C) - Look into leaving the league due to poor commish.
...my answer is "C" also -- i'm in this league and i've never seen a draft so poorly run -- i'll finish drafting and run the team for the upcoming season but i'm leaving after that... 
1/9/2011 11:58 PM
Every season I completely redo the available players list in my league.  I actually leave every single player on the list.  I bold and underline the players taken from a previous season, and I usually bold in a different color like blue, those players taken in the current draft.  That way every player having a WIS season is on my list so owners can run searches to see if a player is available.  It keeps the accidentally deleting two players instead of one mistake from happening too.  Seems to work pretty well.  I have seen poorly run drafts kill progs very quick!
1/12/2011 12:06 AM
I would inform the owner and the commissioner - same sitemail sent to both.

Like contrarian as a commissioner I have a league excel file.

One of the pages is 'Position Players,' another is 'Pitchers.'  On it I copy and paste every player for a given season from the Draft Center.   I'll project the players well into the future.

For instance, in the XYZ League, which is submitting keepers for the upcoming 1928/1978 season, I have all the players from 1927 thru 1939, 1977 thru 1989.  The 1st two columns are blank.  When a player is drafted I copy and paste the owner's name and team into those columns. 

When keepers are submitted I check the owner's keeper post against his roster and will usually sitemail him if he missed someone.  Most owners are very good about listing everyone, including cut and retired players, which helps a lot.  Every season someone  misses some player.  

'Available Players' is another page in the excel workbook, and that's where I list all the players for the season by position.  I delete the names of kept players from this sheet, use it to create the available players lists.

I usually cut owners and commissioners some slack when I notice a mistake.  There are a lot of players to be accounted for in a 24-team league and it's easy to overlook a player or two.  

Keeping track of what player belongs on what team does seem to be something that could be handled much better by the computer than by a human. 
1/12/2011 6:46 AM
Posted by contrarian23 on 1/8/2011 9:10:00 AM (view original):
I think in both cases you tell someone.  In the case of (a) I would inform the commish.  In the case of (b) I would inform both the commish and the owner who forgot to list them.

But I have to say that both of these mistakes reflect poorly on the commish of the league, whose primary job is to put in the necessary work to ensure the draft runs smoothly.

Of course, I also believe that all owners have a responsibility to review the list of available players and to ensure their keepers aren't on it.  Which takes all of 2 minutes and is hardly burdensome.  In the league that I run, if one of your keepers is inadvertently listed as available and someone else drafts him, you lose the player.

My biggest nightmare is missing a keeper and someone drafting another owner's player.  Second biggest nightmare is failing to bold a drafted player and having that player taken by another owner in a later round.

I take keepers off the available players list as they're submitted, rather than all at once.   It can be a tedious chore and I'm better nipping away at it than doing it all at one sitting.

1/12/2011 7:00 AM
Posted by minnow on 1/9/2011 11:11:00 AM (view original):
I'd like to ask how other commissioners do up their available players list each season? I think the best and most accurate way is to work backwards, as in start with every single player available and then delete them as they appear on owners keepers list... I believe some other guys though just use the players left over from old drafts then add rookies and anyone cut. This might be where problems arise either by a player returning from the DL that was never drafted, or owners forgetting to mark a player as cut.

I am the commissioner in question here.  It is my first progressive, and though it is the 2nd season, we did not have a draft in season 1 as it was a "replay" league.  This being my first time, I unfortunately did the latter of the scenario above.  Just taking rookies and the cut players.  Thus missing all the players in between.  As anyone who hasn't abandoned the league can tell you, I've gone to great lengths to try and improve our current  draft as well as for future drafts.   I've asked advice from other commissioners on the best way to get a complete and accurate draft list, and am confident that our season 3 draft will be flawless.  
1/14/2011 1:26 AM (edited)
EDIT* My first progressive AS COMMISSIONER
1/14/2011 1:26 AM
It's not the mistakes I ever took issue with.  While it is nice to have the guys who are super diligent running leagues, eventually everyone makes a mistake.  I just couldn't believe how people knew there were significant errors in the draft availables and never said anything.  It take a village to run a draft....
1/14/2011 9:29 AM
12 Next ▸
Progressive Question Topic

Search Criteria

Terms of Use Customer Support Privacy Statement

© 1999-2024 WhatIfSports.com, Inc. All rights reserved. WhatIfSports is a trademark of WhatIfSports.com, Inc. SimLeague, SimMatchup and iSimNow are trademarks or registered trademarks of Electronic Arts, Inc. Used under license. The names of actual companies and products mentioned herein may be the trademarks of their respective owners.