Progressive auctions Topic

If you're interested in a hybrid of sorts, I've done one in fantasy baseball that worked quite well.

Once a player is put up for auction, guys have x hours to submit a closed bid. When the time is finished, the player is then put up for live auction in the forums and will start at the highest bid (and will again run for x hours). After that cycle, whatever owner that had the highest closed bid to begin with will have the option to match any higher live bid and claim the player back.

1/9/2011 9:54 AM
i am pretty sure toddleduc runs an auction type league
1/9/2011 10:29 AM
Posted by minnow on 1/9/2011 9:54:00 AM (view original):
If you're interested in a hybrid of sorts, I've done one in fantasy baseball that worked quite well.

Once a player is put up for auction, guys have x hours to submit a closed bid. When the time is finished, the player is then put up for live auction in the forums and will start at the highest bid (and will again run for x hours). After that cycle, whatever owner that had the highest closed bid to begin with will have the option to match any higher live bid and claim the player back.

That actually sounds like a very good idea.  I'm usually not a fan of multi-step processes (closed bidding --> open bidding --> matching bid) but this is fair and orderly.
1/9/2011 2:43 PM
Does anyone have a problem with this? (Sorry for posting it a 3rd time in 4 posts)

Say the process runs like this -

Monday 6pm - 16 players are put on the block.  Closed bids will be taken until Tuesday 6pm.  At Tuesday 6pm the players are put on the open auction block with their highest closed bid as their opening price.  Owners can open bid on players until Wednesday 6pm.  If someone out bids the closed bid on a player, the owner(s) with the high closed bid has until Thursday 6pm to better the winning open bid.  Winners would be announced at Thursday 6pm.

1/9/2011 3:01 PM
The concept itself isn't bad; I think logistically you might run into issues.  The way you described it, if you have 72 hours from the start of an auction to the end of it, one of 2 things is going to happen.  If no other auctions occur during that time period, you're staring at a 5 month draft.  If you have other auctions taking place, you could run into issues of illegal bids if owners aren't careful (not keeping track of their bids, which shouldn't be that difficult if 16 players are out at a time but when you multiply is by 2 or 3 it could get tricky) and you'll have a lot going on at once.  You'd probably be staring at about as much work as I had to do for the completely open draft. 

The concept would work if you either had multpile batches running at once (again, just make sure you can keep everything straight) or you'd have to cut the time down of the auctions from start to finish.

I hope you don't look at this as me being negative or nitpicky- I'm really just trying to help.  I figure if I can help you avoid some of the mistakes we made, you won't make them.  If I can point out a potential flaw and we can come up with a good solution, it's one less thing to possibly go wrong.  Based on experience, I believe you really need to have everything lined up for an auction draft. 
1/9/2011 3:44 PM

If you're submitting 16 players/stadium per day it works out to 39 days (624/16).  If you're clearing out the big names early  at some point you should be able to raise 16 to 24.  Most inaugural drafts take a month, more or less.

At this point, where you're looking at feasability and potential problems, nitpicking is incredibly valuable and much appreciated.

Any way you twist in this you're going to have a lot of work.  In a perfect world I'd like a completely open auction with the 24-hour rules you (gumber) used.  I can't see that working out with this draft, tho, unless you spend an incredible chunk of time time-stamping latest bids.  I think the 24-hour closed/open/matching process would be much more manageable.  It wouldn't be that difficult to create an excel program for each owner that would automatically track their remaining bank. 

It would be on the owners to keep track of their remaining funds, but those can be updated daily.

1/9/2011 4:08 PM

So what you're saying is to start a new batch each day?  Let me see if I have this:  If the draft starts, say, on a Monday, you take 16 and start closed bidding and on Tuesday, you have open bidding on the first group while starting  closed bidding on a second group?  If that's the case, everyone would have to be on the ball but it's doable in my opinion. 

1/9/2011 5:06 PM
Here's how I'm seeing it

Day Closed bid Open bid Match bid
Monday Group A    
Tuesday Group B Group A  
Wednesday Group C Group B Group A
Thursday Group D Group C Group B
Friday Group E Group D Group C
Saturday   Group E Group D
Sunday     Group E

1/9/2011 6:05 PM
And that third column, the match bid, would involve only the owner who had (first) the highest closed bid.
1/9/2011 6:07 PM
So -

Monday 6pm- Closed bidding on Christy Mathewson begins.
Tuesday 6pm- gumber had the high bid on Mathewson at 100 ducats- open bidding begins  
Wednesday 6pm - Open bidding ends.  sheller now has the highest bid on Mathewson - 125. gumber has 24-hours to exceed the highest open bid or sheller gets Mathewson for 125.
1/9/2011 6:16 PM
I did a little calculating.  If you begin with 16 picks for the 1st 15 rounds, 24 for the final 11 rounds, the draft would last exactly 32 days.  Actually, a couple more than that, because you won't know the results of a set introduced for closed bidding on Monday until Thursday, but it's still fairly close to how long a typical inaugural draft last.
1/9/2011 6:29 PM
When do the *excess* players and stadiums go up for bid??
You are assuming that the 24 stadiums you put up for bids are all going to be taken - people may want a stadium that hasnt been put up for bids.
People may also have their eyes on some of the *lower* rated players from the years you have chosen - some very good rookies have salaries that are below the 600 players that are going to be put up for bids.
1/9/2011 9:13 PM
I've been involved 3 different auction based progressives... outbacker ran one that was great, but unfortunately fell by the wayside when he got sick and couldn't keep up with it during an off-season. Toddleduc ran one that was one of my favorite progressives ever (my brother and I actually coran for one season before it folded when toddleduc, my brother, and I just couldn't keep up with it do to our schedules at the time) and was based on the still running (I think anyway) CDL run by epup1975. Each of them handled the bid process slightly differently. Outbackers was a blind bid system, while the other two were open bids... the latter two, though both open bid systems handled the bidding processes differently from each other.  I really enjoyed each of them though I didn't actively play in outbackers, I was the one all of the bids were sent to.
1/9/2011 10:47 PM

Having stadiums done by auction could get messy.  I'm not sure what is meant by "excess" players.  "Lower" rated players get taken the same way the higher ones do; they get placed in a group of 16 (or 24), their auction starts at a given time, and they are bid on just like everyone else.  Part of the strategy is saving your money for these guys. 

1/9/2011 11:48 PM

I think the term "excess" means the available players that the commissioner fails to offer for bid during the auction. If you're starting with 1900/1950 and using a 24-team league there won't be many excess players.  What you can do is, towards the end of the draft, have owners suggest players who haven't been put up for bid yet and add those names to the list.

The stadiums likely will be those in use during one (or both) of the simmed seasons, altho because of mlb expansion in 1901 the 1901 stadiums might be included in the 1900/1950 inaugural auction.  Not really sure there are 24 unique parks if you're restricting yourself exclusively to 1900 and 1950.

1/10/2011 1:42 AM
◂ Prev 123 Next ▸
Progressive auctions Topic

Search Criteria

Terms of Use Customer Support Privacy Statement

© 1999-2024 WhatIfSports.com, Inc. All rights reserved. WhatIfSports is a trademark of WhatIfSports.com, Inc. SimLeague, SimMatchup and iSimNow are trademarks or registered trademarks of Electronic Arts, Inc. Used under license. The names of actual companies and products mentioned herein may be the trademarks of their respective owners.