Progressive auctions Topic

Gotcha.  I was confused by the term because in our auction every player was in a group and every group was offered, so there were no "excess" players.  I just assumed every player would at least be offered up at some point. 

I still think you're better off finding some other way to do stadiums other than auction them off.  What I envision happening is everybody bidding on, say,  about 6 to 8 stadiums, then after 3 days picking maybe another 4 to 5, and I think it drags out longer than it has to.  We tied stadiums to one of the groups, which was C/DH, so whichever team's catcher and DH you chose to draft, you also took their stadium and we limited it to the stadiums in use in 2000.  I'm not sure if you could do that here. 

1/10/2011 10:10 AM
Posted by sheller on 1/9/2011 6:16:00 PM (view original):
So -

Monday 6pm- Closed bidding on Christy Mathewson begins.
Tuesday 6pm- gumber had the high bid on Mathewson at 100 ducats- open bidding begins  
Wednesday 6pm - Open bidding ends.  sheller now has the highest bid on Mathewson - 125. gumber has 24-hours to exceed the highest open bid or sheller gets Mathewson for 125.
Under this process why would anyone send in a closed bid?

You are making the closed bid process worthless. If gumbercules has to raise sheller's open bid to get the player why submit a closed bid? 
Gumbercules established the initial price for Mathewson. sheller waited in the wings, raised the price in the open bid process and makes the owner who established the initial price rebid? The least gumbercules should have to do to get Mathewson is match the bid, not raise it. He was the one who sent in the highest closed bid, it should count for something or else why do it?
1/10/2011 3:51 PM

I thought the initial proposal was for the owner (me in this example) to only match, not exceed, the highest bid in order to win.  That aside, as long as the highest open bid is less than the maximum than I can spend, I still have an advantage to winning the closed portion:  I get to decide who wins the auction. 

If I am reading this correctly (correct me if I'm wrong, sheller), I have exclusive rights to the player on the last day of his auction.  For example, let's lower the numbers and say that I had the highest closed bid on day one for the great Mathewson at 60.  Open bidding takes place and sheller bid 80.  Now I would have 24 hours to simply say that I'll take Mathewson for 80 (if I have to match- 81 if I have to beat the last offer), but my advantage is I'm the only one who can do that; no one else can bid on that last day.  That puts me very much in control of the bidding simply by winning the closed portion. 

1/10/2011 4:38 PM
You're reading it right, gumber.

And the reasoning behind the open/closed/match bidding:

I think the best method is the totally open, 24-hour bidding process, but that wouldn't be practical unless you could devote a lot of energy and time to a draft of 600 players.  I pretty sure I couldn't handle it - it's enough handling a regular draft plus work plus a relatively normal real-world life.  

The best alternative that I've see (so far) is the closed/open/match bidding.  I'm not wedded to the closed bid winner outbidding the final open bid, but it seems the right thing to do, imo.  Not a big deal either way.

Gumber explains it as well as I can.  If he wins the closed bidding on Mathewson, he decides who gets the player.  

This does make making a solid closed bid on a player you really want important.  Failing that you'll have to make sure you're around to make a bid right before the bidding ends. 

The closed bid narrows the field.  If gumber bids
1/10/2011 6:13 PM

When I ran the Monopoly draft I wasn't working full time- if I had been and/or had family responsibilites, it would have been much harder.  It was a nearly insane amount of time and effort.

1/10/2011 8:38 PM
Yeah, that's what I was supposing.  The c/o/m bidding could all be handled in an hour or two, same time every day.  The big problem I see in it is it tends to favor whoever is around when the open bidding closes - because, unlike gumber's auction, it'll close at the same time every day. 
1/10/2011 9:59 PM
if i take the example from earlier...  gumber bids 100 on Mathewson in the closed bid, then sheller bids it up to 125 in the open bid.  If i am gumber, i am waiting until 5:59 the next day to let everyone know that i am taking mathewson because it essentially freezes sheller out of bidding for that day.  up until gumber puts in the higher bid, sheller has to assume that he has spent his 125, and if gumber waits until 5:59 to let him know that he has his 125 back, it doesnt leave sheller any time to get bids in on the next set of players.  and if you are grouping it by salary, now sheller has missed out on 2 days worth of stars.  this either makes it extremely important to have the highest closed bid (and potentially screw a couple of people along the way) or require a rule change so that the match bid has to be in a couple hours before that day's bidding closes.

1/11/2011 9:13 AM
Good point, LD- hadn't thought of that.  The size of that window to accept or decline for the winner of the closed bidding is important strategically.
1/11/2011 10:47 AM

Ditto that 'good point'.  I've already thought that you wouldn't want to front load all the Hall of Fame types.  For instance, you don't want a Cy Young or a Warren Spahn-type introduced while Mathewson is still up in the air. 

1/11/2011 6:24 PM
I haven't read through this entire thread - but to answer the initial question:

outbacker did an auction style progressive, and it was one of my favorite drafts to take part of.  The league folded after 1 year though.

The way it worked was every owner started with 100 credits.  We then had a day set for each position.  Day 1 we bid on catchers, day 2 1st basemen, day 3 2nd baseman...etc...then after pitchers we'd go back around to catchers and continue till each team filled their 25 man roster.  

the way it was done was by having a 3rd party owner help with the bidding.  Bids were due at midnight and sent via sitemail to just4me who then filtered all the bids and determined the winners.   

Owners were not allowed to overbid.  For example if the owner had 50 credits and 10 players remaining, you could bid no more than 41 on a single player to ensure that you had enough credits to fill the team.
1/13/2011 5:21 PM
◂ Prev 123
Progressive auctions Topic

Search Criteria

Terms of Use Customer Support Privacy Statement

© 1999-2024 WhatIfSports.com, Inc. All rights reserved. WhatIfSports is a trademark of WhatIfSports.com, Inc. SimLeague, SimMatchup and iSimNow are trademarks or registered trademarks of Electronic Arts, Inc. Used under license. The names of actual companies and products mentioned herein may be the trademarks of their respective owners.