Thanks, cydrych.
2/27/2011 1:11 AM
Posted by theatlien on 2/27/2011 12:26:00 AM (view original):
Guys, I'm kind of jumping in here as a total newbie... but... this being my first season and all, after reading all of the comparisons between the new and old engine, I think I'm lucky that I can't compare. Otherwise, I may be as frustrated as alot of you are.

I actually had never heard of anything like GD. I'm an avid player of games like Baseball Mogul and Football Mogul. Have played them for a while. And while they were fun, they seemed kind of hollow. I was actually searching for a college football version of something similar to the Mogul games when I found this. And boom... I jumped in.

Now, I'm just in the recruiting period of my first season, so I can't really critique the game or speak about how good or bad it is. However, I can tell you that it APPEARS to be the type of thing I've been wanting to play for a while. And, of course, when I found it... I told others. All of them avid college football fans and armchair coaches, had never heard of anything like GD either.

There are probably 20 people I've told about this whom are now waiting to hear from me after my first season to decide whether they are joining or not. My point is that if I'm experiencing this with new eyes (never playing the old game) and love it, thus sparking 20 more people to join... and if there are some more people playing it now with same enthusiasm to tell others... then maybe there's hope for growth in the future.

I, for one, definitely don't want to be stepping into something I'm going to love only to see it start going downhill. I would much rather be playing in a full world against other human controlled teams on a regular basis.

So... here's to hope!

Thanks, guys.

The ATLien
Good attitude! 

Welcome aboard!
2/27/2011 1:12 AM
Guys, I'm kind of jumping in here as a total newbie... but... this being my first season and all, after reading all of the comparisons between the new and old engine, I think I'm lucky that I can't compare. Otherwise, I may be as frustrated as alot of you are.

I actually had never heard of anything like GD. I'm an avid player of games like Baseball Mogul and Football Mogul. Have played them for a while. And while they were fun, they seemed kind of hollow. I was actually searching for a college football version of something similar to the Mogul games when I found this. And boom... I jumped in.

Now, I'm just in the recruiting period of my first season, so I can't really critique the game or speak about how good or bad it is. However, I can tell you that it APPEARS to be the type of thing I've been wanting to play for a while. And, of course, when I found it... I told others. All of them avid college football fans and armchair coaches, had never heard of anything like GD either.

There are probably 20 people I've told about this whom are now waiting to hear from me after my first season to decide whether they are joining or not. My point is that if I'm experiencing this with new eyes (never playing the old game) and love it, thus sparking 20 more people to join... and if there are some more people playing it now with same enthusiasm to tell others... then maybe there's hope for growth in the future.

I, for one, definitely don't want to be stepping into something I'm going to love only to see it start going downhill. I would much rather be playing in a full world against other human controlled teams on a regular basis.

So... here's to hope!

Thanks, guys.

The ATLien
I would be very happy if more people started playing and the downward trend of players reversed itself. That would solve the reward point problem for me and have me ramp back up teams. I'm not super optimistic it will happen, as I did the same thing when I started and told everyone I know and a few played a couple seasons, but no one played for a long time. However, I wish you luck and hope you can get others to play!
2/27/2011 7:21 AM
The opportunities for new coaches are extremely good,if they can get a good grasp of the game their are loads of 1aa teams open that you could win a N.C. from in just a few seasons.The turnover at Div 1a is huge as well lots of great teams. Lots of changes with the elites. 
2/27/2011 8:21 AM
I think the population of worlds will continue to decline. The only solution then would be to close a few worlds.
2/27/2011 10:18 AM
I agree with stalagna, at the end of the next season rollovers I will be down to 3 teams out of 13. With wilkinson, dobie and rockne declining and with only 2 worlds over 50% there is no incentive to keep playing with so many teams and the totals will continue to drop. I feel that most worlds are going to be headed under that 250 mark and maybe even closer to 200.

On another note I have to apologize to everyone who I have played against over the last month I haven't game planned at all because my interest in this game has just dwindled so much. As of today I will gameplan as long as I play.
2/27/2011 12:16 PM
Stagg at 265
2/28/2011 10:20 AM
Posted by hallgren on 2/27/2011 12:16:00 PM (view original):
I agree with stalagna, at the end of the next season rollovers I will be down to 3 teams out of 13. With wilkinson, dobie and rockne declining and with only 2 worlds over 50% there is no incentive to keep playing with so many teams and the totals will continue to drop. I feel that most worlds are going to be headed under that 250 mark and maybe even closer to 200.

On another note I have to apologize to everyone who I have played against over the last month I haven't game planned at all because my interest in this game has just dwindled so much. As of today I will gameplan as long as I play.
Don't worry about it. I still don't gameplan and am typically playing in L4 and L5 bowls...
2/28/2011 10:25 AM

So... here's to hope!

Thanks, guys.

The ATLien
the recruiting part is very fun
setting your depth charts makes you feel u have all control
being able to pick your own gameplan and watch it go to town pumps the energy inot the game

... but as you start to learn the game recruit better and overall have a feel of how the game is played you'll experience our frustration.  You'll come up against a team that has half your talent but is somehow able to shut u down and move the ball with ease.  Youll make adjustments and get the same exact resutls the next game, and thats were it started for most of us.  We take the time to recruit great players and they dont seem to perform like we expect.  Now this may mimic real life but this is all done by a computor using numbers, so we've come to expect consistency.

I like ( i think we all like) waht the game could be,  we felt we were closer to UTOPIA before the update then after.  We had a few obviuos bugs in the game but we knew how to  account for them.  If they woulda dialed down the run a bit,  locked the depth chart for OL and QB,  those 2 chanhges wouldve went a LONG LONG way towards making a more balanced game.

Alot of us are holding on to our love of this game but as each day, month, and update pass the frustration takes over.  we know it can get back to being a great game,  we just dont know when
3/3/2011 10:57 AM
  Indications are that it will not be anytime soon.
3/3/2011 1:02 PM
You might actually enjoy it more not having played the old engine.  A lot of teh frustration is how badly they handled the switch to the new engine, which you missed.  Don't expect a lot of realism (which has always been the case) and accept that it is too random an buggy/gimicky these days.  Hopefully they will improve the current problems over time.  As a whole, GD coaches are good people, which helps make it more fun (but less so these days since so many are ****** off).
3/3/2011 10:36 PM
I hope I do enjoy it more considering I never played with the old engine. Then again, I totally understand where many of your frustrations are coming from. I just hope everyone doesn't leave and then no one else joins, thus leaving this place void of any competition what-so-ever.

It'd be like hooking up with the girl of your dreams... just after she's picked up herpes! Grrrrrreat!

The ATLien
3/3/2011 11:03 PM
Can we get this thread pinned?
3/4/2011 3:56 PM
Warner Season 54 Estimated DI-A Reward Points

Population
L1 invite
L1 win
L2 invite
L2 win
L3 invite
L3 win
L4 invite
L4 win
L5 invite
L5 win
NC
3/4/2011 4:46 PM
Here is Heisman
Current Season: 54
World Capacity: 270/612

3/5/2011 11:44 PM
◂ Prev 1...6|7|8|9|10...15 Next ▸

Search Criteria

Terms of Use Customer Support Privacy Statement

© 1999-2024 WhatIfSports.com, Inc. All rights reserved. WhatIfSports is a trademark of WhatIfSports.com, Inc. SimLeague, SimMatchup and iSimNow are trademarks or registered trademarks of Electronic Arts, Inc. Used under license. The names of actual companies and products mentioned herein may be the trademarks of their respective owners.