Who is the Best Performing SP in sim? Topic

Or how about my favorite, from an OL nonetheless, and for only $280k:

Name T W L G GS CG SHO SV BS IP H R ER HR BB SO HBP WP BK ERA OAV WHIP
B. Koski '51 R 23 6 79 0 0 0 0 6 94.2 186 171 167 35 129 1 3 1 0 15.88 0.412 3.33

1/16/2011 3:35 AM
As you can see from Koski's numbers above, this team had a good offense and no problem scoring runs. Despite his horrific performance in a mop up role (and as the only RP available before the 6th inning and with a starter who didn't always make it 5), the offense won alot of games, and Koski got alot of credit. W-L record is reflective of the team as a whole and rarely of the pitcher themselves.
1/16/2011 3:40 AM
Bill Koski used to be my favorite cookie.  Who was the other one Just, Abner Powell?
1/16/2011 11:10 AM
yeah, good old Abner Powell.... I'm pretty sure he was legitimately on EVERY single team
1/16/2011 11:50 AM
You definitely cannot go wrong with Mr. Pete.  Although he'll cost you a pretty penny ($16mil+), he's always produced a sub 3.00 ERA for me, has pitched me to a WS championship, and I can get 65-68 starts from him if I give him only 90 pitches.  While 08 Joss is probably the best so-called "bargain" SP at the moment since he really should cost about $15mil, a sleeper (i.e., a somewhat unknown guy) that you might want to check out is the $12mil Jake Weimer with whom I also just won a champisonship. His normalized numbers may not appear to be anything special, but when you look at his history, you'll see that he takes care of business and gets the job done.  He had a 2.50 era for me on my championship team in about 340 innings.
1/16/2011 11:50 AM
I love Jesse Tannehill `02.  He seems to have fallen out of favor since they nudged up the prices of good hitting pitchers, but his combination of pitching prowess and hitting skills is tough to beat.  As mentioned above, Pete Alexander `19 is a relative seeper compared to better known SIM names like Joss, Martinez, Maddux and Dutch Leonard.  Monty Stratton, Ray Caldwell and Bill Burns are all great bargains at various innings and price levels.  And I happen to be a huge Fred Glade fan as a value pick.  Now go do your own reseatch.
1/17/2011 12:24 PM
Posted by contrarian23 on 1/15/2011 7:07:00 PM (view original):
These are the current stats for your starting pitchers on one of your currently active teams:

Walsh, Ed 1910 R 41 41 9 1 24 7 0 0 301.3 289 118 97 10 76 119 .246 .297 .321 1.21 2.90
Johnson, Walter 1913 R 40 40 6 2 23 10 0 0 282.0 297 141 127 26 45 186 .265 .301 .413 1.21 4.05
Alexander, Pete 1915 R 41 41 2 1 20 12 0 0 281.0 296 129 115 6 84 164 .270 .326 .354 1.35 3.68

Where are the .500 W-L records and "5.50-8.00" ERAs you're talking about above?
Hahahaha Contrarian I think you scared him away! My Guess is that he switched aliases because his old one had a 10,000 wins and 70,000 loss record. Otherwise his reasoning has to be one of the top 10 dumbest things I've read on here.
1/17/2011 12:47 PM
the league with Walsh, Johnson & Alexander mentioned by contrarian23 is by FAR the exception!  If you would check out the other leagues I have had them in you would be scratching you head also?

All I asked for was a little help on a generic issue.  I was not looking for the SECRET pot of gold?  & a few BAD owners who I hesitate to mention (Thats_nice - who isnt) (Boogerlips & contrarian23) have jumped all over me & turned this post into a JOKE!

Thanks to the other posters for offering some helpful advice!  If it werent for a few BAD apples...

I remember when, I guess a few years ago, that when questions like this were answered with nothing but Helpful Advice, that introduced friendly discussions, about common issues, that others shared intrest in finding info about - now it just seams like a WHIPPING POST with responses aimed at calling out less sucessful participants & berating them!  A few years ago I offered up a similar post, sleeper hitters & others FREELY offered up Cy Williams, Ralph Garr, etc. - they offered plenty of useful stuff - now I get - "with your experience you should KNOW who the best SP are & if you dont, I'm not going to help you solve the problem!"

Jees, forget I even said anything, SORRY to have wasted your time.
1/17/2011 2:36 PM (edited)
Posted by go_pre on 1/17/2011 2:36:00 PM (view original):
the league with Walsh, Johnson & Alexander mentioned by contrarian23 is by FAR the exception!  If you would check out the other leagues I have had them in you would be scratching you head also?

All I asked for was a little help on a generic issue.  I was not looking for the SECRET pot of gold?  & a few BAD owners who I hesitate to mention (Thats_nice - who isnt) (Boogerlips & contrarian23) have jumped all over me & turned this post into a JOKE!

Thanks to the other posters for offering some helpful advice!  If it werent for a few BAD apples...

I remember when, I guess a few years ago, that when questions like this were answered with nothing but Helpful Advice, that introduced friendly discussions, about common issues, that others shared intrest in finding info about - now it just seams like a WHIPPING POST with responses aimed at calling out less sucessful participants & berating them!  A few years ago I offered up a similar post, sleeper hitters & others FREELY offered up Cy Williams, Ralph Garr, etc. - they offered plenty of useful stuff - now I get - "with your experience you should KNOW who the best SP are & if you dont, I'm not going to help you solve the problem!"

Jees, forget I even said anything, SORRY to have wasted your time.
Apology Accepted
1/17/2011 4:31 PM
Most of the comments in this post answered your questions or question.  It wasn't until your second post  that you were "put through the ringer".
1/17/2011 5:27 PM
One piece of advice... consider the source. There are a few guys on this site that just wait for someone to break "their" protocol... and take great pleasure in blasting someone every chance they get. I liken them to barflies... so I guess you can call them forumflies...

Ignore them... I do.

I will throw a couple starting pitchers out that seem to be a nice "value" these days - 1909 Ed Summers and 1906 Tully Sparks.

Good Luck!
1/17/2011 8:14 PM (edited)
go_pre, I certainly feel your pain here. It's tough keeping up with the cookies who can always be counted on to do well. I've been on the site for a few years and can remember that within 6 months of an update the community would figure out the general great values (Highball Wilson, Tony Phillips, Bob Caruthers, Gavvy Cravath, ect.). The last year or so advice has been much tougher to come by. Maybe it's because the forums as a whole just aren't active. Anyway, it's a shame.

What I really miss however are the general strategy articles. For example, I vaguely know that in this update range matters more that fielding on defense. Not knowing basic concepts such as that can ruin game experience. Not everyone has hundreds of dollars to spend on blowing through teams and finding what works. I only have two or three teams running at a time and haven't touched open leagues in years because I can't keep up with the competition. Even theme leagues have become more difficult. I used to know if I stick with low OAV# and decent HR/9+ pitchers I'd be safe, but that hasn't helped lately. Quite frankly I'm at a loss for current good strategy. Subsequently, I've been drawn mostly to progressives and theme leagues with high research levels, places where I can compete on a level where it isn't as important to know the most effective SIM strategies.

While I still love this game and will continue to selectively pick enjoyable leagues, I too agree that WhatIfSports ain't what it used to be.
1/17/2011 6:33 PM
Well why don't we all just chug on over to Mamby Pamby Land?

Stop cryin, ya jackwagon!
1/17/2011 8:13 PM
Hmmm... a forumfly appearance...
1/17/2011 8:17 PM

Looks like you just couldn't wait to say that.

1/17/2011 8:22 PM
◂ Prev 123 Next ▸
Who is the Best Performing SP in sim? Topic

Search Criteria

Terms of Use Customer Support Privacy Statement

© 1999-2024 WhatIfSports.com, Inc. All rights reserved. WhatIfSports is a trademark of WhatIfSports.com, Inc. SimLeague, SimMatchup and iSimNow are trademarks or registered trademarks of Electronic Arts, Inc. Used under license. The names of actual companies and products mentioned herein may be the trademarks of their respective owners.