Who would you take... Topic

As the third man in a rotation behind Ed Walsh and Addie Joss, Dutch Leonard or Eddie Ciccotte?  My offense is well above average at hitting for average, slightly above average at hitting doubles, and has average home run power.  I could definitely play in a +1 or +2 HR stadium if I take Ciccotte; however, I would be very well off in a +singles neutral or -1 HR park if I took Leonard.  Plan to build the bullpen around the strength of whichever 3rd starter I take.
1/28/2011 9:43 PM
some time ago. someone posted that there had been no teams with 3 thirty game winners. Since then I have tried to do this, and as my favorite cap is 120k, it seems do-able. I have consistently used '10 walsh and '08 joss, but, to get to 30 wins with the other pitcher, he needs the innings. In 93116, which is Skunk's choose your own theme league, I went with a pre-1920 theme, and added '08 Mathewson to those 2. Definitely overkill on the innings, but the team is doing remarkably well, (88-57) and we have an outside chance of acheiving our goal. I believe, however, that a less expensive pitcher than '10 walsh would serve you better, retutning to your original question. Walsh is great, consistent money in the bank, but in the post season he hasn't been as effective as I would have liked. with no animosity toward him, I will be looking at some one else next time. '09 Mathewson always gives me fatigue issues, and the Big Train isn't as consistent as I would like him to be. But careful perusal of the options has uncovered some pretty faces for around 11m-12m. I think I'm going to go in that direction next time, and put some more O out there. Dutch is always money in the bank as well, but I only use him in -4 parks. Those 3 would definitely work, but I think there may be equally effective options to Big Ed for less money. Pardon the long post. I am in the hospital since last Sunday, and it is giving me something to do.
1/29/2011 4:18 AM
Dutch Leonard
1/29/2011 5:26 AM
I've been using Doc White. he's a million cheaper than Dutch Leonard and he overperforms. only problem with Cicotte is too much money tied up in your 3 starters.
1/29/2011 9:42 AM
Assuming you mean Eddie Cicotte.  He is money, I have had huge success with him and he has way more IP/162 with 365.  In a three man rotation he fits pefectly.  The ERC# is there at 1.81 and his HR/9# is a super solid .10  My problem with Dutch is that he has low IP/162 at 238.  Even in a 4 man rotation he can only throw 5 innings a game.  This mean that you are well into your bullpen on a regular basis which has an effect on fatigue and team management.  Dutch has a better ERC# at .171 and his HR/9# is worse .22.  

For me, it's Cicotte without hesitation.
1/29/2011 11:17 AM
Who would you take... Topic

Search Criteria

Terms of Use Customer Support Privacy Statement

© 1999-2024 WhatIfSports.com, Inc. All rights reserved. WhatIfSports is a trademark of WhatIfSports.com, Inc. SimLeague, SimMatchup and iSimNow are trademarks or registered trademarks of Electronic Arts, Inc. Used under license. The names of actual companies and products mentioned herein may be the trademarks of their respective owners.