This post has a rating of , which is below the default threshold.
Sure.

Is it your team Pugnacious Buss you're referring to?  If so, and that's an OL, I think you did okay.  I like that you drafted the minimum PA and close to the minimum IP and are using your AAA.  The one player that sticks out as a questionable choice for your park, Dodger Stadium, is 1946 Hank Greenberg.  If you're going to use a home run hitter, especially a right-handed one in an OL where most teams are loaded with right-handed deadball pitchers, I think you've got to at the very least help him out with a home run park. 

By the way, the other 3 owners in your division have good overall records.  You're doing well for yourself to be above .500.

If Pugnacious Buss is not the team you're referring to, please disregard the above.
1/30/2011 2:28 AM (edited)
most people find it acceptable but they'll probably not respond, you're more likely to get some discussion if you post specific questions. a few people dont find it acceptable, problem is they make a lot of noise so it seems like there's more of them.
1/30/2011 10:57 AM
Where is A51Man when you need him?  Has he really retired?  Has he hung up his cape????

1/30/2011 11:56 AM
I think you need to pick a few things that bother you about your team and be specific.  Just posting your team and saying, he' what's wrong is kinda hard.  There are so many variable that go into a team.  What are your settings?  What is your rotation?  Who is the long A, what are your pitch counts?  What is your Stadium?  What are your Home, away splits?  What categories did you use to draft your team?  What was your plan when you drafted the team?
1/30/2011 11:59 AM
No crazystengel I wasn't referring to Pugnacious Buss, but it was good to hear insight on how did for that team. I have come up with another team that I haven't put in a league yet and wanted a little advice. Ill post a few things later as I can only be on for a second.  Thanks!
1/30/2011 2:26 PM
You'll get some comments if you post your team....it's probably best if you ask specific questions with it like:

Did I choose the right park?
Do I have enough quality innings?
something like that
1/30/2011 3:46 PM
The team is in Safeco. I went with a variety of Steals, Walks, and Average. Other than a GREAT Stealing % at C I didn't draft too much quality defense. I left out 1B as I plan to platoon my AAA players at that position. I also drafted as little as possible for IP. I figured in Safeco I wouldn't need as much and if need AAA can fill in at times. So did I draft enough IP? Are there any players out of place in this park, or could be improved upon? Am I using my money in the correct balance? Any other tips?

C - 77 Jim Sundberg   $4,485,317
1B - AAA
2B - 14 Eddie Collins   $6,968,656
3B - 98 John McGraw   $6,100,389
SS - 01 Craig Counsell   $3,083,740
OF - 87 Vince Coleman   $4,240,214
OF - 77 Ken Singleton   $5,812,625
OF - 81 Tim Raines   $4,267,085

SP - 08 Addie Joss   $12,778,253
SP - 02 Bill Bernhard   $9,228,381
SP - 13 Christy Mathewson   $9,155,044
Long - 18 Fred Toney   $4,203,375
Setup - 15 Cy Falkenberg   $1,737,305
Setup - 12 Carl Weilman   $1,854,154
Setup - 67 Cisco Carlos   $1,938,932
Closer - 07 George McQuillan   $1,907,652
Mop Up - AAA
1/30/2011 11:10 PM
Frankly, I think your biggest mistake here was drafting 3 big-money pitchers.  I would probably have taken a little bit off on either Bernhard or Matty (probably Matty; I think Bernhard is a really good bargain, although I've never used him at such a low cap) and spent an extra $2.5 or $3 million on my hitters.  You can get an acceptable (read: will be about .400 if you pick wisely) pitcher for that much less without sacrificing innings, and the extra offense will really help you come playoff time.  Most of your bullpen can spot start in the playoffs if Joss and Bernhard can't go every game, so that third dominant pitcher is really wasted money when it's the most crucial time of the season.  In short, if you're looking to win leagues rather than just making playoffs you need to think about dominant playoff rosters, and this one will be good.  But given that Joss and Bernhard alone can probably pitch almost all or all of your playoff games, a less-talented third starter doesn't hurt your effective playoff roster at all and more offense helps it a lot.  The other thing I would say is that while I haven't paid a lot of attention to AAA since the update, it does seem to be anecdotally the case that AAA pitching is on average even more homer-prone now than it used to be.  Consequently, I disagree with what Crazy said above and actually would say the opposite about this team.  I think it's always a good idea to have at least one home run threat on an OL team.  A guy like Greenberg who can draw some walks and maybe hit some doubles along with the homers can be a useful lineup piece against non-homer-prone pitchers for a reasonable price and helps you keep other teams honest.  This team doesn't really have that guy, although Singleton offers just a bit of pop...
1/31/2011 4:07 AM
Posted by Bilfert on 1/30/2011 11:56:00 AM (view original):
Where is A51Man when you need him?  Has he really retired?  Has he hung up his cape????

He's still playing HD and has 2 active SLB teams.  He's moderately active in the HD forums as well.
1/31/2011 4:10 AM
I would think that if I had a terrible pitcher going out every third start would be bad even if I can increase my hitting with the extra 3 million or so. Also, if I was to switch out Matty would you suggest getting about the same amount of IP or could I settle for less?
1/31/2011 12:42 PM
I like Fred Toney, he is a little pricey but pretty much lights out.
1/31/2011 2:28 PM
I dunno, how many total innings do you have and what park are you planning to play in?
1/31/2011 3:36 PM
Oh, Safeco...  You can make do with 1250-1300 innings if you're willing to micromanage, 1150-1200 if you're willing to wipe out your AAA and throw a game here and there.
1/31/2011 3:37 PM
Well taking your suggestion I COULD replace Singleton with 32 Babe Ruth for 7.3mil and replace Matty with a guy like 06 Frank Owen for 6.6mil. Is that the kind of thing your suggesting? That would also leave me with about 1mil left over I could upgrade somewhere.
2/1/2011 12:30 AM
12 Next ▸

Search Criteria

Terms of Use Customer Support Privacy Statement

© 1999-2024 WhatIfSports.com, Inc. All rights reserved. WhatIfSports is a trademark of WhatIfSports.com, Inc. SimLeague, SimMatchup and iSimNow are trademarks or registered trademarks of Electronic Arts, Inc. Used under license. The names of actual companies and products mentioned herein may be the trademarks of their respective owners.